Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Afro Sauce)
    DON'T touch clearisil, honestly. It's just so harsh and will dry out your skin, producing excess oil + eventually more spots

DON'T use any oils/over the counter meds

DO go to your GP urgently and just ask for antibiotics and drink lots of water and fruit
    Seriously, my skin feels anything but dry. On the contrary, my skin feels really nice and moisturised. Water and fruit are useless. I drink lots of water and eat lots of fruit, it makes no difference. If it doesn't go away fully I will go to my GP. Are you sure your speaking from experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I'm taking oxytetracycline now..how long did it take for your acne to clear?
    Zineryt worked for me for like 2 weeks :mad:
    2 weeks?! Woah, really?! I think it's best just to stick to it, honestly. After about 2 weeks I was all red and spotty again but I persisted and persisted and it's honestly so much better 2 months down the line. Just make sure you regularly use it 2 times a day, nothing else with it (although I found it best to wash my face with soap morning and night, moisturse using a non-comodegenic (Sp?) moisturiser, then use the zineryt about an hour later. I found it got rid of all the big spots, the ones under your skin too and any ones that are exposed :o:

but for whiteheads it doesn't really do anything much - fix your diet and wash with simple, sensitive-skin soap and drink mad amounts of water

The oxytetracycline does nothing for about 3-4 weeks, and then you're like 'woah, where'd they all go'?? It's gradual, so just keep on persisting and don't look in the mirror every hour expecting wild amounts of sudden change lol

The tablets I now take with zineryt and both are working really well actually. Now, I literally have no spots on my chin (used to be craaaaaaaaaaazy) or forehead or nose or right cheek, but 2 small ones on my left cheek :mad:

it takes time, but it'll clear eventually if you persist

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Seriously, my skin feels anything but dry. On the contrary, my skin feels really nice and moisturised. Water and fruit are useless. I drink lots of water and eat lots of fruit, it makes no difference. If it doesn't go away fully I will go to my GP. Are you sure your speaking from experience?
    Honestly, you'll regret not listening to me sooner or later

You MUST go to your GP urgently, NOW

Nothing else will work, and yep, I'm speaking from experience

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks?! Woah, really?! I think it's best just to stick to it, honestly. After about 2 weeks I was all red and spotty again but I persisted and persisted and it's honestly so much better 2 months down the line. Just make sure you regularly use it 2 times a day, nothing else with it (although I found it best to wash my face with soap morning and night, moisturse using a non-comodegenic (Sp?) moisturiser, then use the zineryt about an hour later. I found it got rid of all the big spots, the ones under your skin too and any ones that are exposed :o:

but for whiteheads it doesn't really do anything much - fix your diet and wash with simple, sensitive-skin soap and drink mad amounts of water

The oxytetracycline does nothing for about 3-4 weeks, and then you're like 'woah, where'd they all go'?? It's gradual, so just keep on persisting and don't look in the mirror every hour expecting wild amounts of sudden change lol

The tablets I now take with zineryt and both are working really well actually. Now, I literally have no spots on my chin (used to be craaaaaaaaaaazy) or forehead or nose or right cheek, but 2 small ones on my left cheek :mad:

it takes time, but it'll clear eventually if you persist

Good luck!
    yeah, Zineryt did nothing for me. I'm on Benozyl(sp?) Peroxide...problem is, i'm sooooooooooo impatient. :woo: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Gone through the whole roaccutane thing (which was so worth it looking back, but I was so glad to finish it) I still get the occasional spot which is annoying though and have a few marks which I can only hope with go away with time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoosterUK)
    Gone through the whole roaccutane thing (which was so worth it looking back, but I was so glad to finish it) I still get the occasional spot which is annoying though and have a few marks which I can only hope with go away with time.
    Really? Hang in there, mate.

I think I'm probs at the same stage as you really (though with antibiotics)

ReputationRep:
    Spots depend so much on how much oil your skin produces. If you wash your skin rigorously every day, your skin produces more oil to offset this. So if you stop washing your skin, you get too much oil and spots start popping up. And obviously the opposite is true, if you don't wash your skin that much then you do wash it your skin will get dry. I would just try and keep it as balanced as possible. But I think if you have acne, the problem goes beyond this.

I am 18 and still get spots, I only ever have a max of 4 'proper' spots on my face at any time but they are constantly there.

ReputationRep:
    ur not alone my friend!

ReputationRep:
    I also suffered from it when I was 16. I went to a dermatologist and she prescribed me the "acnetrex", costs around $36/box of 30capsules. I had it for 3months and very effective. Length of consumption varies with cases.

However, it will dry you up. And you have to sign first a contract with the doctor. Taking is at your own risk bec you might become infertile.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I use is:
    Spoiler:
    Show

It works pretty well! Though it's not perfect.

If I were to go to my GP, what should I ask for?

ReputationRep:
    Zineryt, minocyclin, doxycyline, limoxyclene, tetracycline are all prescription standard drugs you'll be prescribed by your GP and these are short-term fixes up until the point where your acne develops resistance and then you'll be transferred to a dermo who'll prescribe you accutane which WILL work.

However if you have miner acne, a few odd spots, quinoderm 5, 10, benzyl peroxide you can use as OTC creams in that order of acne severity. Dont go for clean&clear, neutrogene acne products, they dont do anything, more like placebos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    Tell me about it! I really hate it when hairs are trapped in zits. That's the thing i hate about shaving.
    Exfoliating should help resolve that problem i think

ReputationRep:
    I went and he gave me some antibiotics which have really calmed it all down, only a few small ones now, but I still have some dotty scars
    Lemon juice bleaches the skin, but it stings for a few seconds. Try that?
    Or ask your doctor for a Benozyl cream.

ReputationRep:
    if its really bad i heard you can get it laserd off and its effective

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sver)
    Zineryt, minocyclin, doxycyline, limoxyclene, tetracycline are all prescription standard drugs you'll be prescribed by your GP and these are short-term fixes up until the point where your acne develops resistance and then you'll be transferred to a dermo who'll prescribe you accutane which WILL work.

However if you have miner acne, a few odd spots, quinoderm 5, 10, benzyl peroxide you can use as OTC creams in that order of acne severity. Dont go for clean&clear, neutrogene acne products, they dont do anything, more like placebos.
    I think my acne's only moderate though, and I know quite a few people who've used the prescription drugs that have worked and lasted too.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been using it?

Don't get too excited, it's murderous after 3 months
    nooo i've bn using it for quite a while now infact my gp prescribed it first a year ago and your not meant to use it for three months, its only prescribed for a months use, it cleared the acne on my forehead but i went bck for the acne on my back nd it still works, but i supose its different for everyone, my sister couldnt use it because she had dry skin nd it actually did burn and make her skin peel a little..

ReputationRep:
    Do I just ride it out and the blemishes/scars will go eventually? The reddy ones after you've picked a spot? I don't want to ever ever ever go near bio oil
    The only cures for red marks and hyperpigmentation is time, leaving them alone, and avoiding the sun - it is damaging and will prolong red marks, seriously the best thing I ever did for red marks was slapping SPF on them and leaving them alone, and waiting.
    Ever wondered why spots on the body fade alot faster than the face? Because you leave them alone and they hardly get sunlight.

(Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    yeah, Zineryt did nothing for me. I'm on Benozyl(sp?) Peroxide...problem is, i'm sooooooooooo impatient. :woo: :mad:
    BP works wonders eventually.

Please be aware that everyones skin is different, this is my advice from my own experience, and other people have commented I have helped them get clear, my face and back were like pizza's last year, and it looked horrible, it got the point where I didn't even want to go out, I have a very successful regimen through alot of trial and error, and the only thing left now is a few very faint pink marks, which will be gone in the next few months. I've tried alot of things, wasted alot of money and time, and learned alot.

I strongly recommend the regimen on www.acne.org, lol I just noticed I sound like I'm trying to sell people stuff, well I'm not because you don't even need to buy their products:P, the important part is the steps as it works fine with stuff you can get in boots or tesco.

(Original post by Skies)
    The only cures for red marks and hyperpigmentation is time, leaving them alone, and avoiding the sun - it is damaging and will prolong red marks, seriously the best thing I ever did for red marks was slapping SPF on them and leaving them alone, and waiting.
    Ever wondered why spots on the body fade alot faster than the face? Because you leave them alone and they hardly get sunlight.

BP works wonders eventually.

Please be aware that everyones skin is different, this is my advice from my own experience, and other people have commented I have helped them get clear, my face and back were like pizza's last year, and it looked horrible, it got the point where I didn't even want to go out, I have a very successful regimen through alot of trial and error, and the only thing left now is a few very faint pink marks, which will be gone in the next few months. I've tried alot of things, wasted alot of money and time, and learned alot.

I strongly recommend the regimen on www.acne.org, lol I just noticed I sound like I'm trying to sell people stuff, well I'm not because you don't even need to buy their products:P, the important part is the steps as it works fine with stuff you can get in boots or tesco.
    Following that regimen, what moisturizer did you use? I'm apprehenesive about using moisturizers cos they might make me break out.

Just reading through all these is making me want to go back to the doctor.

I'm 18 and it's been about a year since mine really started.
    It started as a little red blotch on the left of my face. I thought it was because I slept on that side so I am careful to change my pillowcases, bedsheets etc frequently. I cannot sleep on the other side, I always roll over again at some point and wake up to find me back on my left.

Anyway, this time last year it was only a tiny cluster of spots. Now it's all the way down that side of my face, next to my nose. There will only be one or two really angry ones at any time but it's been all red and inflamed, extremely dry etc for the past year now. It looks terrible.

Dr prescribed Differin cream (0.1%) but it did nothing but make it worse and it really dried out my skin. My mum had been going on about these Johnson's facial cleansing wipes and how great they'd been to her skin. She bought me a pack, and for a while I thought they were helping but now not so much.

I just don't understand why it started now though I'd never had a problem with spots before this.

This past couple of weeks it has been worse than ever. I'm worried it's about to start on the other side of my face now as there is a red, inflamed looking patch (slightly larger than a peanut) and that was what happened before. Is there anything I can do to stop it flaring up? Before it gets like the other side of my face.

I was also going to ask the same question as the user above me. Whenever I moisturise, it makes me worse but my skin is incredibly dry so I need to start. Is there a particular moisturiser anyone here would recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Following that regimen, what moisturizer did you use? I'm apprehenesive about using moisturizers cos they might make me break out.
    Its from the brand Simple, its called Simple Light Hydrating.

Been using it for a year and no problems, its cheap and easy to find as well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.