Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've looked over the university website, and I'm getting mixed signals regarding this. On the one hand, it states "You need... Maths at A-level and at least an AS in Further Maths to study Mathematics or Statistics". However, FM is not listed as a prerequisite on any of the individual mathematics modular pages. Also, there is a statement on another page of the website that states "You should note that if you do not have Further Maths at either AS or A2 level then you may well find Core Maths A hard going in the first term and you should think very carefully about registering for this module if you do not have any Further Maths qualifications."

Am I missing something? Anywho, I'm going into A2 without any study of further maths. I would have taken this at AS, but already have four A2s: biology, chemistry, maths (pure and stats), and physics. I just want to know if it would be viable in my position to study three biology modules as well as three mathematics modules in my first year of the Nat Sci degree. Would I struggle in the maths modules without further maths?

ReputationRep:
    I would advise against doing core maths without further maths A-level. It is technically possible but it would be very difficult, I'm only aware of one person who did it and she struggled. However, if you're very good at maths and enjoy it you should be ok, you just have to be prepared to work much harder than for A-levels.

Have you considered looking at the single maths courses, or maths for engineers and scientists? They should be more manageable without further maths.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that I don't think I would then be permitted to take any maths modules in the proceeding years. I want to have biology as my major subject, but then I'd have troubling coupling it with anything. I would take physics, but that's mutually exclusive to biology. Anthropology wouldn't be possible, as I want to go down the molecular route, and that can only be coupled with the ecological route. I know there are other subjects too, but I'm hesitant about taking subjects that I'm less enthusiastic about and have no A-level experience in. I'm not excellent at maths or anything, but I'm almost a shoe-in for 90%+ in the exams.

ReputationRep:
    How do you feel about taking chemistry? A hell of a lot of people do chemistry and biology modules, of course they go very well together.

I would argue you don't have to be a mathematical genius to do core maths, you just have to be very interested in it. Core really goes into the depths of why things are true, whereas A-level skips over such details. Quite a few proofs are very involved and abstract (especially in algebra), something lots of people enjoy but personally I couldn't stand it.

However, if you do take core maths you do have the advantage that core B1 is amongst the easiest modules available at Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is a decent option, it's just that I don't enjoy it as much as physics or mathematics. I'm considering combining bio with philosophy too, but there's something about studying that subject at a university that doesn't sit well with me -- why not buy a book? Decisions, decisions. Anyway, thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    You won't be able to do the Maths. I'm glad you're asking this because I nearly messed up my whole durham application with this problem and I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone else. I put down Biology and Maths as the top two subjects to study within the Natural Sciences course. I got rejected because I didn't have any further Maths. Thankfully I got them to reconsider by changing my subjects within the course. So if you are set on doing some Maths within the course you'll need to try for a Further Maths AS Level this year. I was told I could do a statistics module having just Maths at A Level, but I don't think they'll let you do any others. I think you should ring them up and have a chat about it to find out what you can do about it. If you put Maths down on your application now you'll be rejected, simply for not having further maths. Good marks in Maths aren't enough- I had 293 at AS Level. You really need to speak to the people at Durham, they'll tell you everything you need to know

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I really should have taken FM as my fifth AS instead of history. I'm already doing 4 A2s, so I don't want to risk an AS to be honest. Anyway, I really appreciate your help on the matter. I guess I'll have to contact Durham now. If all else fails, I guess it will be bio and philosophy.

Edit: May I also say that your AS modular scores are awesome. I did the same ASs as you last year, except I also do physics.

ReputationRep:
    I did modules similar to core A in my time at durham, albeit that was nearly 5 years ago now. You would probably cope fine once you're there, the problem would be getting in in the first place. It looks bad if you have the option of FM and decline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    Ugh, I really should have taken FM as my fifth AS instead of history. I'm already doing 4 A2s, so I don't want to risk an AS to be honest. Anyway, I really appreciate your help on the matter. I guess I'll have to contact Durham now. If all else fails, I guess it will be bio and philosophy.

Edit: May I also say that your AS modular scores are awesome. I did the same ASs as you last year, except I also do physics.
    Gee you did five ASs, that's tough going! And thanks very much, I just hope they're high enough to keep me on my As, I'm so worried about a dreadful Chemistry module I did, and History can be a bit hit and miss... as you can see I'm starting to worry about results already :o:
    Anyway good luck getting the answers you need!

ReputationRep:
    My friend didn't do Further Maths and got rejected on that basis, so getting in will be the difficult bit (she got into Cambridge's Nat Sci so her intelligence was hardly an issue). You need to do a good job convincing them you can handle it or look at the other modules available. That being said, good luck! Now they've introduced the A* that'll probably be one of the conditions of your offer.

ReputationRep:
    To let you guys know, I got an e-mail back from Durham University saying that FM is needed basically if maths is to play an important role in the natural sciences degree. So yeah, I don't actually think maths is an option without it. Thanks for all of your help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ashnard,

From this October it will be possible to take Biology and Physics together within Natural Sciences at Durham

If you have any further queries about Natural Scienecs, please email [email protected]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.