Turn on thread page Beta

I didnt apply for a student loan and now i worried. watch

ReputationRep:
    Im reAlly confused...about uni. Im not sure when to apply for the maintainence money or bursary. I didnt apply for the student loan..I just filled out the first bit of the form online but then I changed my mind for reasons that are not worth considering. Can someone please tell me what to do because I want to apply for the maintainence money thingy...but i dont know where to apply. I scared that the deadline has past and that im going to struggle through my first year of uni...Im already going towards that road because i didnt apply for the student loan. Can someone please just clarify for me..or do i have to apply when i actually get to uni?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Apply for EVERYTHING.

Call the loan company (they have a new name that I can't remember; type student finance into Google or something) and see what they have to say.

It is possible to apply after the deadline; it just means you might not get your money on time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Apply for EVERYTHING.

Call the loan company (they have a new name that I can't remember; type student finance into Google or something) and see what they have to say.

It is possible to apply after the deadline; it just means you might not get your money on time.

This. Do you have enough money atm to pay for your tuition fees etc?

ReputationRep:
    i dont have anymore. I dnt even have a job

ReputationRep:
    when is it too late to apply as i have'nt done anything yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Apply for EVERYTHING.

OPs already saying 'maintenance money thingy' so not the most clued in but this post is just gonna add more confusion. She needs to call Student Finance England - the company that deals with all our general admin, Student Loans Company is the one that gives us the money and we repay, Local Education Authority assesses us, we send the forms there and they are the most intelligent people to talk to when you have real questions like 'why is that not what I asked for..'. And yes with Student Finance there tends to be lots of mistakes/errors/delays where you need to call the LEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magical Moogles)
    I recently read it was nine months from the first day of the academic year (for full-time students)

Best advice, would be to not leave it for that long though! Do it now, and you might be able to get your loans and stuff on the first day of the academic year.

I dont see any benefit of leaving it, until you are already starting, but it is a possibility.
    True

ReputationRep:
    Yeh its not going to be a problem for you yet at all. As far as paying for the course fee's just apply now and then have a word with the university, as long as you can give them some sort of documentation saying you have handed in your student finance forms and are just waiting for them to be processed, then the University should be fine with that.

As far as living costs goes, you are gunna want to apply for a maintance loan and grant if you are eligable. You will possibly find that as your applying late, you wont have your money to live on when you first start, but most universitys are pretty helpfull. either borrow some money off of your parents and pay them back when your maintanence loan comes through part way through the first term, or if your parents cant afford it I'd speak to the university. they can normaly GIVE you a small amount of money to get you through.

I know people who have completly run out of cash half way through an accademic year and had no way of getting food/paying rent. They have recieved a hardship grant to tie them over, its not alot but itll get you through.

If all of this fails, then go to your bank and get a regular loan. Not ideal but at least you'll be in uni. then you can pay it back as soon as your uni loan comes through.

Hope this helped, and dont worry about it, but do make sure you sort your student finance asap.

Speaking of which, i need to go fill in mine now for my third year. I always leave it too late! :s lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    OPs already saying 'maintenance money thingy' so not the most clued in but this post is just gonna add more confusion. She needs to call Student Finance England - the company that deals with all our general admin, Student Loans Company is the one that gives us the money and we repay, Local Education Authority assesses us, we send the forms there and they are the most intelligent people to talk to when you have real questions like 'why is that not what I asked for..'. And yes with Student Finance there tends to be lots of mistakes/errors/delays where you need to call the LEA.
    Isn't that what I said but in longer sentences?

OP, even if you get it a bit late, most universities will let you off if you have proof of application.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ, I weep for humanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Local Education Authority assesses us, we send the forms there and they are the most intelligent people to talk to when you have real questions like 'why is that not what I asked for..'. And yes with Student Finance there tends to be lots of mistakes/errors/delays where you need to call the LEA.
    Not anymore for new students like the OP. The LEAs have nothing to do with it anymore, all new students apply to and are assessed by Student Finance England directly.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.