Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Anyone Find This (Foot Binding) Attractive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Before the 20th century foot binding was an extremely attractive feature in women in China where the feet were "crushed" into a certain shape which men thought was "erotic".

This explanation from wikipedia describes the process in more detail.

"First, each foot would be soaked in a warm mixture of herbs and animal blood; this was intended to soften the foot and aid the binding. Then, the toenails were cut back as far as possible to prevent ingrowth and subsequent infections, since the toes were to be pressed tightly into the sole of the foot. To prepare her for what was to come next the girl's feet were delicately massaged. Cotton bandages, ten feet long and two inches wide, were prepared by soaking them in the blood and herb mixture. The toes on each foot were pressed with great force downwards and into the sole of the foot until the toes broke. The broken toes were then held tightly against the sole of the foot. The foot was then drawn down straight and the arch forcibly broken. The bandages were repeatedly wound in a figure eight movement, starting at the inside of the foot at the instep, then carried over the toes, under the foot, and round the heel, the freshly broken toes being pressed tightly into the sole of the foot. At each pass the binding was tightened, pulling the ball of the foot and the heel ever close together, causing the broken foot to fold at the arch, and pressing the toes underneath, this would cause the young girl excruciating pain. When the binding was completed, the end of the binding cloth was sewn tightly to prevent the girl from loosening it. As the wet bandages dried they constricted, making the binding even tighter."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding

So after reading all that I was wondering what men's opinions on foot binded feet are today. I know that most people on TSR arn't going to be chinese but I was wondering what you all thought of it and if you find it attractive. Personally I find it really unattractive as the feet end up looking deformed and the process is very painfull.

New Question: Also girls, would you ever consider having your feet binded if was it seen as an attractive feature today and it was your choice?

ReputationRep:
    that is horrible. ew.

ReputationRep:
    It's disgusting.
    I read about this somewhere else before..I cannot see any way in which this is attractive. At all.

ReputationRep:
    The look of small dainty feet is obviously appealing, and that article says that men didn't like to see the feet unwrapped from the shoes and bindings.

Compare it with foot fetishes in the Western world today..

EDIT: That post made me sound like I liked it and supported it. Um.. ew, no way.

ReputationRep:
    That x-ray shows that the feet were made for a foot job.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen pictures before and it is not nice.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought it wasn't so much a sign of attractiveness, but of social status.

ReputationRep:
    Y'ouch

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vander Beth)
    I always thought it wasn't so much a sign of attractiveness, but of social status.

Yeah, same here. The more extreme examples essentially crippled the woman. Anyone who had to work for their living couldn't do this.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the wikipedia article states that men found the way that women moved from having their feet binded a huge turn on, of course it was also because of social status. So girls, not saying that I approve but would you ever consider having your feet binded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    Y'ouch

Spoiler:
    Show
    OMG I feel so sorry for that lady.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    Apparently the wikipedia article states that men found the way that women moved from having their feet binded a huge turn on. So girls, not saying that I approve but would you ever consider having your feet binded?
    No.

Not even getting into the whole deforming myself for a man thing (:shifty:), any attraction toward foot binding was based on society's views on what is desirable in a woman- daintiness, high place in society- not actual physical attraction. It said so in the article that the attraction was ruined when the shoes came off.

ReputationRep:
    The start of this video has some information and pictures relevant to foot binding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_4EP2gwxgE

Bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    Apparently the wikipedia article states that men found the way that women moved from having their feet binded a huge turn on. So girls, not saying that I approve but would you ever consider having your feet binded?

i would never destroy my feet to turn a guy on..
    some of the traditions that women are supposed to carry out in order to please men are just vile!

ReputationRep:
    it's horrible, but it was part of a culture and they had their reasons for doing it.

it's like that head binding that the egyptians used to do, to make the skull longer, or those women who put massive copper wires around their necks to make them longer (acutally, it's not their necks which are made longer, but the collar bones are pushed down, giving the impression of a long neck.)

ReputationRep:
    Eww makes me want to vom.

ReputationRep:
    **** no. eww.

ReputationRep:
    That is incomprehensible to me, it really is. Flabbergasted.

ReputationRep:
    I actually feel really sick just reading the description in the OP

ReputationRep:
    It's sick, but then again it isn't exactly totally unimaginable how this could be seen as attractive. Afterall, plenty of girls squeeze into feet-destroying high heels for long periods of time because it's deemed attractive. Foot binding is just one step further. No one finds the disfigured feet attractive, it's more about the shoes the feet are forced into.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.