Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Anyone Find This (Foot Binding) Attractive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    Not always, some people follow the leader no matter what - just to fit in, rather than what they actually like. I'd love to get a blonde and green Sonic the hedgehog cut, but I'll be laughed at in the street. Or people might THINK they like it - everyone now laughs at 90s-tshirts-tucked-in-with-socks-and-sandals fashion, but people agreed to wear it? There's no such thing as 'like' or 'dislike' with some cases, if all you've seen all your life is the same trends, you'll follow them anyway. I wear jeans, but if everyone in my town wore binbags I wouldn't question that either.
    So the person that started the trend made it up just for luls?

People might think they like it? But what.. they don't? It just seems like the do? So how is that any different from just actually finding it attractive? Everyone laughs at that fashion now maybe, but I argue that the person/people that started it would have done so because it was attractive. If everyone in my town wore binbags I would move towns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)

People might think they like it? But what.. they don't? It just seems like the do? So how is that any different from just actually finding it attractive? Everyone laughs at that fashion now maybe, but I argue that the person/people that started it would have done so because it was attractive. If everyone in my town wore binbags I would move towns.
    Well apparently some queen started the footbinding trend, she thought her feet looked like lotus flowers So everyone else followed.
    I don't see how anyone could 'like' mutilating their feet, it was more of a cultural thing that everybody just accepted at the time.

ReputationRep:
    No way!! :puke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    Well apparently some queen started the footbinding trend, she thought her feet looked like lotus flowers So everyone else followed.
    I don't see how anyone could 'like' mutilating their feet, it was more of a cultural thing that everybody just accepted at the time.
    So the queen found it attractive and the OPs question is answered.

ReputationRep:

That can happen, I know personally. Once something is established to be popular and thought of as fun/cool/beautiful by a person and a majority of followers then other people will start to think that it is cool as long it is fairly reasonable. The bin bag example is an exaggeration as everyone knows that bin bags are used to put trash in and wearing a bin bag would make you look cheap especially when there's a lot of nicer clothes to wear.

But going back to the foot binding thing men found it attractive as it gave women a petite look which matched other attractive feminine features such as big eyes and small noses. If the media were to get hold of this then they could make having small feet look attractive as a lot of features of beauty that we believe have been influenced by the media such as ultra skinny size 0 girls when in the past girls with an hour glass figure were considered attractive and being skinny was a indicator of poverty and unattractive. I doubt that foot binding would ever become popular and I hope it doesn't but small feet could become a more sought after characteristic which many women would consider if it was popular through cosmetic surgery.

ReputationRep:
    what the frick?

ReputationRep:
    So the queen found it attractive and the OPs question is answered.
    I asked what the opinions of it today were by people and if girls would consider doing something like this to themselves today if it was popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    That can happen, I know personally.
    What do you know personally? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I asked what the opinions of it today was by people and if girls would consider doing something like this to themselves today if it was popular.
    A k. I thought you said 'Does Anyone Find This (Foot Binding) Attractive?'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Dont see a massive leap from those to ridiculously high heels nowadays.

So I think some here may be displaying double standards..
    Well those heels don't cause permanent deformity, extended excrutiating pain and a myriad of other health complications.

ReputationRep:
    What do you know personally? :eek:
    Well I don't want to go to much into it but I managed to start a small trend for day at school after a week of me trying something.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's very attractive.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't want to go to much into it but I managed to start a small trend for day after a week of me trying something.
    And now millions of people find it attractive? pretty epic :woo:

nah thats interesting

nah dunno maybe not

ReputationRep:
    And now millions of people find it attractive? pretty epic :woo:

nah thats interesting

nah dunno maybe not
    Well it was only at school so maybe not a million people. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    Well those heels don't cause permanent deformity, extended excrutiating pain and a myriad of other health complications.

if worn for long periods of time regularly they could and probably would cause some complications

however women can CHOOSE to wear heals whereas the foot binding was done at a very young age (3-10 years) therefore they had no choice in the matter as it imposed on them by parents/ etc

personally i would never wear 10cm heals as i dont find it attractive and i find size 10-12 far more atrractive then size 6 or a zero

maybe im just different that way....

ReputationRep:
    oh and the foot binding thing makes me feel physically sick......

thank **** that this kind of deformaty isnt the norm anymore.....

personally i draw the line at foundation, nice clothes and maybe some exersize (in a healthy way to remain a size 10) to be the limits at which i would try and look attractive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i like tea)
    if worn for long periods of time regularly they could and probably would cause some complications

however women can CHOOSE to wear heals whereas the foot binding was done at a very young age (3-10 years) therefore they had no choice in the matter as it imposed on them by parents/ etc.
    Perhaps, yeah - but I'm talking about extremely serious things like losing toes and rotting flesh.

And your other point is a very good one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure they can/do.
    Not as serious obviously, but that's why I said 'not a big leap'

ReputationRep:
    Before the 20th century foot binding was an extremely attractive feature in women in China where the feet were "crushed" into a certain shape which men thought was "erotic".

This explanation from wikipedia describes the process in more detail.

"First, each foot would be soaked in a warm mixture of herbs and animal blood; this was intended to soften the foot and aid the binding. Then, the toenails were cut back as far as possible to prevent ingrowth and subsequent infections, since the toes were to be pressed tightly into the sole of the foot. To prepare her for what was to come next the girl's feet were delicately massaged. Cotton bandages, ten feet long and two inches wide, were prepared by soaking them in the blood and herb mixture. The toes on each foot were pressed with great force downwards and into the sole of the foot until the toes broke. The broken toes were then held tightly against the sole of the foot. The foot was then drawn down straight and the arch forcibly broken. The bandages were repeatedly wound in a figure eight movement, starting at the inside of the foot at the instep, then carried over the toes, under the foot, and round the heel, the freshly broken toes being pressed tightly into the sole of the foot. At each pass the binding was tightened, pulling the ball of the foot and the heel ever close together, causing the broken foot to fold at the arch, and pressing the toes underneath, this would cause the young girl excruciating pain. When the binding was completed, the end of the binding cloth was sewn tightly to prevent the girl from loosening it. As the wet bandages dried they constricted, making the binding even tighter."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding

So after reading all that I was wondering what men's opinions on foot binded feet are today. I know that most people on TSR arn't going to be chinese but I was wondering what you all thought of it and if you find it attractive. Personally I find it really unattractive as the feet end up looking deformed and the process is very painfull.

New Question: Also girls, would you ever consider having your feet binded if was seen as attractive today and it was your choice?
    Just to let you know, not all Chinese people find that atttractive. Anyway, I am not sure if it was designed to make the feet look erotic or to make the person taller. This I believe was faded out a long time ago and no one I know practice this anymore.........:yes:

ReputationRep:
    People keep saying "having their feet binded" which isn't a word. It's bound. And it's repulsive. My great grandmother's feet were bound.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.