Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Anyone Find This (Foot Binding) Attractive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2007/05/07/GR2007050700484.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure they can/do.
    Not as serious obviously, but that's why I said 'not a big leap'
    I'd still say it's quite a substantial leap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    Just to let you know, not all Chinese people find that atttractive. Anyway, I am not sure if it was designed to make the feet look erotic or to make the person taller. This I believe was faded out a long time ago and no one I know practice this anymore.........:yes:
    Of course, I meant no offence I know that foot binding doesn't go on in China any more except maybe in remote areas and is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    I'd still say it's quite a substantial leap.
    Yeah, ok.
    Still~ Chronic foot & ankle pain and you cant walk properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Yeah, ok.
    Still~ Chronic foot & ankle pain and you cant walk properly
    Yeah, I didn't know it did as much damage as that article said.
    Glad we agree :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    Well those heels don't cause permanent deformity, extended excrutiating pain and a myriad of other health complications.
    They don't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    They don't?

What's the story with that then?
    Ok, they can cause those things but as I've said, still not nearly on the same level as foot binding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    Ok, they can cause those things but as I've said, still not nearly on the same level as foot binding.
    Put more pictures in to show how it happens. It's not on the same level as foot binding, foot binding is barbaric. But it does show it's not 100 miles away, and certainly not 'totally incomprehensible' like other people have said. The only major difference is foot binding starts at a very early age when the bones are more pliable, so the deformity is much more pronounced. A lifetime in heels can still majorly deform a girl's feet though.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm gonna be sick. Disgusting

ReputationRep:
    Put more pictures in to show how it happens. It's not on the same level as foot binding, but it does show it's not 100 miles away, and certainly not 'totally incomprehensible' like other people have said.
    I still think the gulf is quite large. Bunions are a common health issue exacerbated by poor footwear but often caused by genetics. Hammer toes and bent toes are a far cry from the hideously broken feet from the pictures of foot binding I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    Big feet > Foot binded feet.

I'm a size 4 anyway but still :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    Yeah

My friend has feet like in that photo.. i'm not sure that's due to foot binding

ReputationRep:
    damn....ladies maybe a good look at our footwear. thing is how often would you have to wear pointy shoes or heals before it becomes a foot deformaty problem....

ReputationRep:
    They don't?

could you post a link to this page please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i like tea)
    could you post a link to this page please
    I used google image to get those pictures. Google "How high heels deform feet" and there are quite a few results. The last diagram is meant to be from nwi.com (I found it on this site), but I can't find a full sized version with readable writing.

ReputationRep:
    just goes to show we've still got a long way before woman are equal to men as we are still causing ourselves harm and health problems in order to please men....anorexia being the obvious example. and modelling agencies just encourage this. some women and familes are just as bad here. mother once listing all the features that were wrong with me; weight being one of them saying that i was too fat and ugly to model (even though i never told her i actually wanted to model i was simply asking about my brother who was a male model at the time) and that i was such a good looking child (as to say; you were pretty then wtf happened)

*sighs* why cant intelligence and personality just be enough; and maybe just wearing nice clothes and abit of makeup being fashion limits

This is the topic all the 300 year old chinese men have been waiting for :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i like tea)
    just goes to show we've still got a long way before woman are equal to men as we are still causing ourselves harm and health problems in order to please men....anorexia being the obvious example. and modelling agencies just encourage this. some women and familes are just as bad here. mother once listing all the features that were wrong with me; weight being one of them saying that i was too fat and ugly to model (even though i never told her i actually wanted to model i was simply asking about my brother who was a male model at the time) and that i was such a good looking child (as to say; you were pretty then wtf happened)

*sighs* why cant intelligence and personality just be enough; and maybe just wearing nice clothes and abit of makeup being fashion limits
    I really don't think it's accurate to say that the wearing of high heels and make up etc, or even eating disorders are simply 'to please men', although I do agree that the importance of appearance is overemphasised in today's society.

ReputationRep:
    ohh my god that sounds disgusting. i can't imagine ever seeing that and finding it attractive (even though i am a girl). bleh. i wouldn't even shove my feet into some tiny heels like some people do. noo way. i like my bones too much.

ReputationRep:
    not simply to but pleasing men s definately a factor

though tbh females competing against eachother is a bigger factor in some cases.

maybe im just lucky to have a nice bf but as far as i know most men actually think the size 0 look is discusting; dont understand why women always die their hair; puzzled why they wear heels despite knowing how painful they will be;

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.