Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Seeing a Psychotherapist... but don't know what to say Watch

I've been put on some anti-depressant but the doc wants me to see a psychotherapist as well, as like a talking therapy... but I don't know what to say...

I don't think my depression has come on for one particular reason, not that I can put my finger on, I can't really tell her 'what I'm thinking about' or whatever...

So my question is this: if you've been to one, what do you talk about? What sort of things do they ask you, and what can I do to figure out what to say?

ReputationRep:
    I have never been to one but they will be trained in dealing with you. You aren't going to go in and sit down and be expected to start running the session yourself - that's their job and is what they get paid for.

They'll ask you gentle questions to try and get you to open up. Go with it, talking will probably do a lot more good than pills.

When I went to one, my eyes started watering (they water a lot, I have this problem) and the therapist thought I was crying. They're stupid people. Don't go to see one.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about psychotherapists. But I did have to see a councillor once. After about ten minutes I said "you're an idiot" and walked out of there. Didn't do me any harm *twitches*

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a counsellor, a family therapist, a psychiatrist and a cognitive behavioural therapist and for me, personally, only the last of these helped. Like you, there was nothing exactly "wrong" with my life, so it was like there was nothing to say to the others. But, tbh, what do you have to lose? Either it helps, in which case, yay! Or it doesn't, in which case you've just wasted an hour or two. No big deal.

(Original post by 300mg)
    I have never been to one but they will be trained in dealing with you. You aren't going to go in and sit down and be expected to start running the session yourself - that's their job and is what they get paid for.

They'll ask you gentle questions to try and get you to open up. Go with it, talking will probably do a lot more good than pills.
    Actually, yes they do expect you to run the session. That's what psychotherapy is all about, you talking. I don't really get the whole thing. They sit back and expect you to talk about anything and everything and nothing all at the same time. If you don't, a long silence comes along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Actually, yes they do expect you to run the session. That's what psychotherapy is all about, you talking. I don't really get the whole thing. They sit back and expect you to talk about anything and everything and nothing all at the same time. If you don't, a long silence comes along.
    Surely they will ask you questions? Otherwise they are nothing more than Samaritans. I have never seen a shrink but I imagine they are trying to figure you out and help you instead of just providing an ear.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a counsellor for an incident a few years ago and I currently see a therapist for OCD/eating issues. Both have helped, but then I knew what the problem was both times.

With my therapist it's me talking most of the time and he talks sometimes, asking questions a fair bit and sometimes the questions can be quite hard to answer, but he's trained to deal with people.

If the psychotherapist is any good, I'm sure he/she will be able to find out what's going on.

(Original post by jennikay)
    I've seen a counsellor for an incident a few years ago and I currently see a therapist for OCD/eating issues. Both have helped, but then I knew what the problem was both times.

With my therapist it's me talking most of the time and he talks sometimes, asking questions a fair bit and sometimes the questions can be quite hard to answer, but he's trained to deal with people.

If the psychotherapist is any good, I'm sure he/she will be able to find out what's going on.
    Can they figure out what's making me depressed?

ReputationRep:
    Tell them about your mother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Can they figure out what's making me depressed?
    I'd imagine so - my therapist managed to dig out feelings I'd tried to ignore for a long time, was absolutely fantastic to be able to say things about my family I'd never say to anyone else ever! :p:

My therapist every month or so, will go through the three areas of my life - family, work and social - and see how each of them is going, see how I feel about what's happening in areas of my life etc.

I have to say mine's really good though. :o: Hopefully yours will be just as good.
    Seeing my therapist on Wednesday, can't wait because I've been away for 2 weeks so haven't seen him in three :woo:

Hopefully eventually when you go for sessions you'll have things on your mind to talk about, though at first you probably won't and it'll be him/her trying to dig things out of you.

One thing to remember is that therapy works a LOT better when you like your therapist, and also that you need to talk about the things that bother you - that's what you're there for. I'm a very agreeable person and I'm happy to talk about most things in my life which may be why therapy and counselling have worked so well for me :p:

A couple of things to consider might be thinking back to a time when you were happier, and what's changed - I was quite depressed at the end of a long term relationship because it was coming to an end and I didn't want to lose it. I didn't consciously know it was, but everything about it was getting me down really.

Another thing (though only if you're a girl! :p:) is that your hormones may be playing a part in it, particularly if you're on any sort of hormonal medication (i.e. the pill etc). I notice that I feel quite depressed when it's that time of month, and I have the implant. I had to go on the pill for a few months to sort out my cycle and it was possibly the worst time of my life. My boyfriend remembers it as the time when I cried and threw a strop because he was 20 minutes late..! I then changed pill and it was a LOT better.

Few things to ponder for you there, anyway. Hope it all goes well, have you already been referred/do you know when you start?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.