Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

IBD Analyst Bonuses 09 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering if anyone can confirm what bonuses were this summer. I've heard that IBD first years got:

Tier 1: 20k
    Tier 2: 15k
    Tier 3: 10k

and first year salaries were bumped up to 42k accross the board.

I know there aren't many actual bankers on here but have any of your interns heard similar? These numbers seem pretty low.

ReputationRep:
    I know Citi London top bucket (5%) was 30000. The vast majority got 15000 which i assume is third bucket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DEVY2007)
    I know Citi London top bucket (5%) was 30000. The vast majority got 15000 which i assume is third bucket.
    This will presumably change as I'm informed Citi base (O&G) is up to 45+10 for Y1. Word at my shop is everyone is looking at base increases which will kill comp over 3yrs, but then again that's why they are doing it.

The 100k challenge is long gone. Shame.

ReputationRep:
    Those numbers are from one of the top American BBs (think GS,JPM,MS). Maybe the analyst who told me was chatting sh*t because he got screwed over. He said I shouldn't expect any more than that in my first year.

I had heard that Citi were paying way over the odds to retain talent which seems to fit in with your numbers.

ReputationRep:
    don't know about IBD, but for trading it was £15k generally at GS last year for 1st year analysts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breitling)
    Those numbers are from one of the top American BBs (think GS,JPM,MS). Maybe the analyst who told me was chatting sh*t because he got screwed over. He said I shouldn't expect any more than that in my first year.

I had heard that Citi were paying way over the odds to retain talent which seems to fit in with your numbers.
    I'm also told the lucky schmucks at Greenhill are still getting 60 base and healthy bonuses. Dicks.

ReputationRep:
    The consensus was that top tier 1st Year Analyst bonuses were in the $40-$50K range, 2nd tier bonuses were in the $30-$40K range, and 3rd tier and below varied from “almost nothing” to around $20-$30K.

2nd Years typically received around $10-$15k more per tier, and 3rd Years received about $10-$15K more per tier on top of that.

I’m not going to bother to list these bank by bank, because no one seems to have consistent numbers. The numbers above were gathered from message board postings and news sites like DealBreaker:

* Deutsche Bank 2009 Bonus Estimates
    * Citi 2nd Tier Bonus Estimates

One quick note, though: very, very few Analysts are ranked in the “top tier,” especially at larger banks – so 1st Year Analysts earning even $50K for a bonus this year was quite rare. $30-$40K was far more “typical.”
    $40k for working 100 hours a week? Allow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedy_s)
    $40k for working 100 hours a week? Allow.
    ... they get more than their bonus

ReputationRep:
    The analyst who saw this thread told me to ask you guys what's a bonus?

(Original post by scrubsnamesake)
    I'm also told the lucky schmucks at Greenhill are still getting 60 base and healthy bonuses. Dicks.
    And some complete idiots elsewhere are still getting more than 100k with their bonus on top in year 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    The analyst who saw this thread told me to ask you guys what's a bonus?
    bet he knows his way around Krispy Kreme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    And some complete idiots elsewhere are still getting more than 100k with their bonus on top in year 1.
    yeh but then they'd have to be boring traders with no exit opps.

ReputationRep:
    My figures were IBD. As per base I think Citi is 43. I dont know sign on bonus but can find out if anyone really cares.

ReputationRep:
    Jools was so good at this stuff!

ER three years in, 60k base + 70k bonus, but that's at the top end. I know some BB ER analysts who were given 10k and told they needed to be thankful that they had their jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Most firms are just increasing the base by a few £k, and lowering there bonuses - JPM, Citi and RBS spring to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Woke up this morning got a boom boom in your eyes...

ReputationRep:
    Breitling, those numbers are way conservative to what I know...

ReputationRep:
    Do Tier 1, 2, 3 relate to banks (for e.g. BB) or the position in the bank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    Analysts get ranked within a bank, and the highest ranking analysts get the most bonuses.
    How do they get ranked. Is it initially through the recruitment, the team/sector they're in or their performance throughout their year??

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.