Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The Intermediate 1 English close reading answers are hilarious. 'Incipient'? 'Laconic'? I mean, really... They could at least try to give the marking instructions at an appropriate level rather than just leaving it for markers to interpret.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    The Intermediate 1 English close reading answers are hilarious. 'Incipient'? 'Laconic'? I mean, really... They could at least try to give the marking instructions at an appropriate level rather than just leaving it for markers to interpret.
    That is brilliant :p:

Higher Classical Studies. Lucky *******s.

This gives me hope for the Higher paper :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Everyone crying that they've failed English - the marking schemes are very loose and rely on markers discretion quite a lot as there are an incredible amount of different wordings that can mean the same general thing. So looking at the marking schemes for English is essentially useless :p:
    Exactly!! I had 2 english teachers mark my work this year and the first one, this idiot I had for standard grade (always made dodgy jokes that verged on peverted a lot of the time) marked my close readings and I would get like, 25 out of 50 because he relied to heavily on the marking scheme - thank goodness he doesn't mark for the SQA. My other marker, my actual teacher, always said she marked with an open mind because so many students would have excellent answers that just weren't in the marking scheme. The highest score I ever got with her was 47/50 and I think my lowest was 38/50. No one should really worry if their answers aren't in the marking scheme this year, because if the markers stuck completely to the scheme, pretty much everyone would fail or get a low C, which is why markers use their brains and accept decent answers.

ReputationRep:
    Is that the case for SG Close reading papers?

ReputationRep:
    Well, after reading the marking scheme, its actually looking better than I thought :o:

*searches for the post exam thread form a few months back....*

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a look at French, but not English, am too scared to do that just now. Kind of pointless, because without meaning to sound arrogant I know I have an A in French.

ReputationRep:
    lol crap, not one thing in the English marking scheme rings a bell

I wish i kept that paper! its the only exam i didnt!

ReputationRep:
    Yay, French answers seem to have more or less confirmed my A, though it looks like I may lose a few marks, I should still have a band 1. I'm wondering if I'm brave enough to try the English marking instructions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    I'm wondering if I'm brave enough to try the English marking instructions.
    If you're at all nervous, don't. I haven't even bothered checking if the maths instructions are up.

ReputationRep:
    Neither have I actually :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you're at all nervous, don't. I haven't even bothered checking if the maths instructions are up.
    I shall heed your advice. Incidentally I'm almost certain Maths isn't up yet.

ReputationRep:
    maths isn't up yet

im actually glad i looked at the english marking, feel i have done much better than what i had originally thought

ReputationRep:
    None of the ones I'm interested in are (Except English, but that's out of curiosity rather than because of any vested interest.)

ReputationRep:
    I really want Chemistry and Biology up.
    And Art I spose, but the sciences more so.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, shame none of the sciences are up... I've checked French, English and BM and I'm pretty sure I've got a 1, 1, A respectively but GOD I hope I'm not just saying that so I can calm my nerves...

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Checked out french. Actually DON'T think I've completely failed, as I first assumed. Not done really well or anything but I think I've scrapped a pass in listening, most of it was lucky guesses! Would like history, maths and sciences to go up - already seen french and english, don't care about my other subjects (don't care at ALL abuot french either but it's nice to know it's HOPEFULLY not a fail!)

ReputationRep:
    Higher Business Management..... can't remember what I wrote for most of it, but I can sort of guess what I would've put if you see what I mean, and section A looks a tad dodgy, but section B's ok- I should've chosen question 5 instead of 4 though :p:

No point looking at AH English tbh, they don't really have "answers", but judging on how I've been graded through the year I'm pretty worried. Hopefully my creative writing's good enough to pull it up a tad. Everytime I see my writing it looks so childish and horrible, but my teacher kept raving on about my personal reflective, so figers crossed my silly humour's enough to brighten the examiner's day and mark me up :p:

ReputationRep:
    Noo I'm trying to check English and the sqa website is being SO slow

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.