Turn on thread page Beta

Would u continue the relationship when there is no future? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you continue going out if there is no chance of a future together?
    No, Id have to end it
    7.55%
    No, but it would be painful for me to end
    35.85%
    Yes, i love them too much to let them go just yet
    20.75%
    Yes, i just want to think about the here and now and enjoy it
    24.53%
    Duno
    11.32%

ReputationRep:
    Would you continue going out with ur gf/bf if u realised there is no future for you two together? Like if one of you wanted to travel, both going to unis far apart, one wants to move abroad, or one never wants to get married, etc.

Yes, all other factors being OK; one doesn't live in the future.

ReputationRep:
    No - to be blunt, what's the point if you know it's going to end at some point? May as well be now and on good terms rather than drifting apart.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If there was definitely no future, then no, what's the point?

Things like 'wanting to travel' or 'wanting to go to different universities' don't mean there is definitely no future, however.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and I have. I cut ties with a guy, who- wasn't responsible, no sense of maturity, stable, and couldn't support me in the future. If i was younger, yes i'd gone into it, but now im just wanting to settle down, find the one

ReputationRep:
    As a 19 girl, the chances of me marrying my exes/ bfs are small... therefore just enjoy it for now.

OP, how old are you? Is it a hypothetical question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    As a 19 girl, the chances of me marrying my exes/ bfs are small... therefore just enjoy it for now.

OP, how old are you? Is it a hypothetical question?

I'm almost turning 20, and yes i've grown up SO much since i moved into my own place, and started my degree, but i also want to start considering, not necessarily marriage, but to settle with someone, find that soulmate, i've done playign around, i've done having **** dates, or going out with creeps, and i'm at that stage now where, my mindset is looking forward, and i'm 'ready'.

I never thought at this age i'd be at this stage in my life, but i guess it all comes down to life experience, maturity etc

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the idea of knowing full well that it'd be over in x months time. I'd probably end it before then if it was a serious relationship, or go along with it if it was just a bit of fun.

On the other hand, I'm going to study a Masters, and probably won't stay in the same city after I graduate. Living in one place for just 1 year is a bit weird, don't know what I'll do if I meet the right person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    I'm almost turning 20, and yes i've grown up SO much since i moved into my own place, and started my degree, but i also want to start considering, not necessarily marriage, but to settle with someone, find that soulmate, i've done playign around, i've done having **** dates, or going out with creeps, and i'm at that stage now where, my mindset is looking forward, and i'm 'ready'.

I never thought at this age i'd be at this stage in my life, but i guess it all comes down to life experience, maturity etc
    Few couples get married at 20.. it's too early to settle down, go out and have fun :yes: Or just have fun as a singleton... :woo: No commitment and all :p:

ReputationRep:
    People change, just roll with whats happening, worry about tommorow when it comes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Few couples get married at 20.. it's too early to settle down, go out and have fun :yes: Or just have fun as a singleton... :woo: No commitment and all :p:

well i certainly don't want to get married or have kids, but i am looking for that in the next 4-5years. I am enjoying being single, and I'm enjoying finding 'him' but I'm a lot pickier than what I was a year or so ago, I want more fianancial stability, reliability etc

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I think you've just got to see what happens. I know I'm going to have to work abroad for a while if I get the job I want after Uni but that doesn't put me off seeing people at all. There's too many 'if's' to make decisions based on what may or may not happen in the fairly distant future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    well i certainly don't want to get married or have kids, but i am looking for that in the next 4-5years. I am enjoying being single, and I'm enjoying finding 'him' but I'm a lot pickier than what I was a year or so ago, I want more fianancial stability, reliability etc
    I see... but you know, dunno about your parents, but my parents meet when they were 26/27 and married a bit later, so I don't think it's a big deal finding the one at our age.

Few things I've noticed though:

1. Can't be a *******
    2. Cba is usually worse then long distance relationships
    3. Still being friends with the exs are no biggie and no problem usually.

ReputationRep:
    I would agonize over deciding whether I should end it or not. However, I believe if that person was truly the one for me, then in the future the situation would be resolved. If not, then obviously I made the right choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimbobaloobob)
    Would you continue going out with ur gf/bf if u realised there is no future for you two together? Like if one of you wanted to travel, both going to unis far apart, one wants to move abroad, or one never wants to get married, etc.
    Y continue it if there is no future ?

sexy time :borat:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know. It depends on who it is - and I think there are always ways to work around it, and compromise. I don't think any relationship can be written off without knowing the situation behind it - I think long-distance relationships can work, and it's not to say that you'll never be back living together if you spend a few years apart - what breaks the relaitonship is not the distance, but how the relationship is. If it's more difficult being together than it is to break it up, there's your answer.

ReputationRep:
    nah it was just hypothetical for me, but i was curious, i mean it may come to that point at some time in my life and with anyone else, just wondering what people think

i used to think 'no' straight away, but circumstances are forever changing. The future might change to suit both of your needs one day.

ReputationRep:
    Nup =[

ReputationRep:
    I have. As much as I loved him, we were at different uni's heading for completely different places and we were struggling as it was. I decided to end it on good terms before it had the chance to get messy. I still miss him but it was for the best. We're still friends which is what I wanted.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.