Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are people who are argumentative on forums the ones who are pushovers in real life? Watch

It's just something I've been wondering. I recently came across someones posts on a forum, who I know in real life. On the forum, this person was really confrontational and argumentative but in real life she is known to be a pushover and far too nice for her own good. Do you think in general people who are pushovers are only confident enough to express their opinions on the internet where they don't have to really face anyone?

Maybe they are, maybe the aren't. It's difficult to tell, and irrelevant to know.

ReputationRep:
    I get the feeling you are one of these RL pushovers...why anon may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    meh dkdc
    pushovers use internet to vent frustrations
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    *puts hand up*

Do you know me?

ReputationRep:
    Not always; I'm a pushover in real life and I'm a push over on here too. You could knock down any of my arguments with a feather on here and in real life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure some of them are. Some of them, though, like me, just speak their minds whether its on the internet or not.

ReputationRep:
    You know what they say, arguing on the internet is like taking part in the special olympics. Even if you win you're still a retard.

ReputationRep:
    OP has been beaten in an argument online and is trying to justify it.

OP, you're pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Lol yes...you don't know me do you?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm argumentative on the Internet and in RL.

ReputationRep:
    LoL

I wouldn't say argumentive, but I think people are more willing to express themselves on the internet as they can think before they say something. For example, I talk to some people more on MSN than I do in RL as I'm sure some others do to, as it's easier to just be yourself and ask justa bout anything.

Anyone who "argues" on an internet forum is a bit sad anyway if you ask me, it's hardly an argument is it?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Im not two different people. Same person whether its online or not. And I'm nice but I'm not a pushover I do know how to say no.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no pushover. In real life, I'm am very argumentative because I learnt from the best(my dad lol). But I do know someone who fits your description. On msn, he acts all top, but in real life hes proper quiet and shy of girls.

ReputationRep:
    i'm actually so hard on the internet, but when at school, i live in the maths corridor.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty argumentative on here, and I wouldn't say I'm a pushover in real life, I do debate with people in classes and stuff. I'm more inclined to keep my opinion to myself when it won't achieve anything though. Like if I had a go at my male friends everytime they said something sexist I'd be forever arguing and there is no point.

i think people on here can be really mean and rude. they dont realise it actually can upset the other person.

ReputationRep:
    I'll argue the toss on here and I'll argue the toss in real life. Safe.

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm certainly not a pushover. I wouldn't say some of the things I say on here though, just because I wouldn't want to offend certain people. I wouldn't **** off fat people in a room where there are fat people, but I think that's just common courtesy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.