Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tooth moving dramatically after braces taken off Watch

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this topic has come up lots of times before.

I got my braces taken off a month ago and have worn the given retainers every night since then. In the last 2 weeks, I've found it difficult to actually slide the bottom retainer into place to the extent that it hurts a lot due to a tooth which quickly moves out of place.

For the last few days I've been trying to wear the bottom retainer throughout the day whenever I'm not eating, but still the tooth moves out of place hours after taking them off.

Any advice on what I should do here would be appreciated. I think I'm having a dentist appointment soon but in the mean time I'd like to know If I should continue to wear the retainer throughout the day or if I might as well just wear them at night (even so every day it gets harder to put on).

Cheers in advance

ReputationRep:
    I would try and wear it as much as possible as that tooth must not have settled set. Definitely tell your dentist when you go back.

When I first had my braces taken off my teeth moved loads when I stopped wearing my retainer through the day. After a year of wearing it on nights the dentist said I could stop wearing it every night but I should continue wearing it every now and then for as long as I want straight teeth :/

I don't know, maybe your teeth will always move out of position a bit without the retainers.

ReputationRep:
    personally i'd phone the orthodontist and ask them their opinion. They'll usually be able to tell you something like that over the phone and that will give you peace of mind until your appointment.
    If you don't want to phone them then I suppose the safe thing would be to continue wearing the bottom retainer 24/7 until the appointment.

ReputationRep:
    I would say carry on wearing because its important your teeth are kept in place. Plus you should contact your dentist on the phone for some quick advice, or contact the emergency number, I've got it somewhere but I can't find it right now. When I find it I'll let you know.

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem too, I wore my retainers for a LONG time after I had my braces off, due to the tooth moving, but it eventually just got too painful to wear. My orthodontist decided that particular tooth was just unlikely to settle where it had been moved to, and was going to turn regardless. It's not as bad as it was prior to my braces, my I'm a little miffed that they couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    Keep wearing it.

But um, that seems rather soon to just be wearing it at night. Shouldn't you be wearing it full time for several months? :\

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you should be wearing it all the time for about 4-6 months. And then every night for the rest of the time you want straight teeth.

ReputationRep:
    You could try phoning your orthodontist to see what they suggest

ReputationRep:
    i lost my retainers and my teeth moved abit then i brought new ones lost them again and now my teeth are permanently moved =(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmcguigan470)
    Yeah, you should be wearing it all the time for about 4-6 months. And then every night for the rest of the time you want straight teeth.
    I never did that :p: I wear mine once a fortnight at night, had them taken off a year ago. The retainers still fit etc. I guess I'm just lucky! Just after they were taken off I wore them every night for about a month, then gradually decreased the frequency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie57)
    Apologies if this topic has come up lots of times before.

I got my braces taken off a month ago and have worn the given retainers every night since then. In the last 2 weeks, I've found it difficult to actually slide the bottom retainer into place to the extent that it hurts a lot due to a tooth which quickly moves out of place.

For the last few days I've been trying to wear the bottom retainer throughout the day whenever I'm not eating, but still the tooth moves out of place hours after taking them off.

Any advice on what I should do here would be appreciated. I think I'm having a dentist appointment soon but in the mean time I'd like to know If I should continue to wear the retainer throughout the day or if I might as well just wear them at night (even so every day it gets harder to put on).

Cheers in advance
    I had the same problem before my orthodontist placed a bar at the back of my incisors teeth. You don’t take it off. It’s glued on. For the next 5 – 10 years that what she told me. Is it the incisor teeth that is the problem ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    i lost my retainers and my teeth moved abit then i brought new ones lost them again and now my teeth are permanently moved =(
    Out of interest, how much did a new retainer cost? I have a feeling mine will break soon - I keep taking them out in my sleep, then spend the morning hunting them down. Much cleaning follows.

OP - I thought you were supposed to wear them 24/7 for the first few months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Out of interest, how much did a new retainer cost? I have a feeling mine will break soon - I keep taking them out in my sleep, then spend the morning hunting them down. Much cleaning follows.

OP - I thought you were supposed to wear them 24/7 for the first few months?
    ummmm tbh i dont really remember i think it was about 80 pounds but that was about 5 years ago so might be cheaper now

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem, but on my upper teeth. Had new retainers made in the end [£75] and glue put on my teeth to push them back in place. Now i have a metal bar stuck to the back of them to keep in line - talk to your orthodontist and see whether such a thing is advisable or possible. I went privately so I know I had a lot more say than you do if you go nhs, so I basically told them what I wanted and got it...but yeh the metal bar works brilliantly. i know you can get it on the nhs, because my friend has one. They feel weird at first and you think you'r never going to get used to it...but then theyre fine =] I had to have mine off for a bit, and I totally freaked out 'cos ther was nothing sticking my teeth together..XD

ReputationRep:
    cheers for all the advice

I called the orthodontist a couple days ago and they told me to continue wearing the bottom retainer all the time (when not eating). They added that if my tooth still moves after 4 months of doing this so much that I can't put the retainer in at night, I should call them again.

The retainer was intended to just be a night retainer to answer some of the questions here but I guess my case is an exception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    I had this problem, but on my upper teeth. Had new retainers made in the end [£75] and glue put on my teeth to push them back in place. Now i have a metal bar stuck to the back of them to keep in line - talk to your orthodontist and see whether such a thing is advisable or possible. I went privately so I know I had a lot more say than you do if you go nhs, so I basically told them what I wanted and got it...but yeh the metal bar works brilliantly. i know you can get it on the nhs, because my friend has one. They feel weird at first and you think you'r never going to get used to it...but then theyre fine =] I had to have mine off for a bit, and I totally freaked out 'cos ther was nothing sticking my teeth together..XD
    I have the same problem as well. My top teeth just will not stay put, I get a gap between my front ones and they start to stick out forward a bit, rather than being straight down. This metal bar thing is intruiging me... Is it very thick/big?

I should probably get back in contact with my orthodontist, but it's been a good two-and-a-half years since my last appointment so I wonder if they'll even still have my records. It's really annoying because my teeth used to be so bad and I'm worried they're just gonna go back to that eventually My retainer's not gonna last forever so something more permanent would be good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poorlysparrows)
    I have the same problem as well. My top teeth just will not stay put, I get a gap between my front ones and they start to stick out forward a bit, rather than being straight down. This metal bar thing is intruiging me... Is it very thick/big?

I should probably get back in contact with my orthodontist, but it's been a good two-and-a-half years since my last appointment so I wonder if they'll even still have my records. It's really annoying because my teeth used to be so bad and I'm worried they're just gonna go back to that eventually My retainer's not gonna last forever so something more permanent would be good!
    I just tried to take a photo of it for you; it didn't end well :laugh:
    The wire is really thin, maybe 1mm thick. I did originall only have it across the two front teeth, but we found that whilst it prevented them separated, leaving the gap which had been the main reason for me having a brace, the two front teeth them moved at an angle.
    The wire now goes from incisor to incisor [?] - the vampire teeth lol:yes: and I've had no problems as of yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    I just tried to take a photo of it for you; it didn't end well :laugh:
    The wire is really thin, maybe 1mm thick. I did originall only have it across the two front teeth, but we found that whilst it prevented them separated, leaving the gap which had been the main reason for me having a brace, the two front teeth them moved at an angle.
    The wire now goes from incisor to incisor [?] - the vampire teeth lol:yes: and I've had no problems as of yet.
    Aww haha!!

That's interesting, sounds like it's much smaller than I imagined hehe. Is it glued on like a brace is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poorlysparrows)
    Aww haha!!

That's interesting, sounds like it's much smaller than I imagined hehe. Is it glued on like a brace is?
    :p:
    Yeah, same glue I think. That was the only problem we had when it wa fitted - my orthodontist hadnt taken a cast of my lower jaw, so we had a few issues of gluing the bar on, but allowing to close my mouth [I have a bit of an overbite].

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd give an update on this in case someone has a similar problem to me and searches for it on Google or something. I do that quite a lot for things like this so I should know.

So last time I posted here I was told by my orthodontist to wear my retainer for 6 weeks (the Summer 2009 holiday) and return after that period. Unfortunately, even when doing this, it made no difference and within hours, the tooth (which is a lower central incisor) always moved back out of place. The NHS orthodontist then told me that the tooth will move back into place over time with the night retainer.

It didn't.

Fast forward about 6 months to my next appointment, and I was told that I'd need an interior brace to deal with the issue (as I believe was described by someone earlier in this topic). After 10 days of continuously wearing my night retainer all day everyday with exception to eating, I had the brace installed today and my teeth look great. And to make things even better, they smoothed out the tooth to be the same height as the incisor next to it, too, as that was another issue. The installation of the brace caused no pain whatsoever and took about 30 minutes. They put in a wire which extends to 6 of my teeth and stuck it on with glue, and it is impossible to see unless you're looking directly down at the open mouth.

Now, there is a catch. Even though I'm a student, and this is an NHS orthodontist, the interior brace (and the smoothing of the tooth) costed £250.

So in conclusion, although I wasted a year trying out different things with my night retainer to deal with the issue, it seems that it's turned out alright with this interior brace which will stay in my mouth until it gets broken, albeit a loss of a fair bit of money. I'll try remember to do an update if any problems worthy of sharing arise in the future.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.