Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there any secure bike storage at the uni halls? I'll be bringing my bike(s) to uni and want to know what other people have done in terms of storing them while in uni accommodation, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smashalley)
    Is there any secure bike storage at the uni halls? I'll be bringing my bike(s) to uni and want to know what other people have done in terms of storing them while in uni accommodation, thanks.
    There is storage at the Endcliffe Village and at a couple of the city centre places, check out this link for details.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i'd seen that previously, thanks... was just wondering though if it was secure enough to leave a £2k+ bike in, i don't want to take any risks!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i'd seen that previously, thanks... was just wondering though if it was secure enough to leave a £2k+ bike in, i don't want to take any risks!
    At Endcliffe there are large garage like cycle storage areas on the ground floor of some of the accommodation blocks. You get authorisation added onto your halls proximity card which opens the door, and then you have vertical bike stands to add your usual locks onto. The access doors always have CCTV trained on them, and you can upgrade the contents insurance provided to include your bikes.

ReputationRep:
    I won't be bringing a bike to Sheffield, but I used to do a bit of mountain biking and wouldn't mind getting back into it though. I guess it must be quite easy to get to decent mountain biking spots in the Peak District? I might have to buy a bike and get back into it :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippy_gerbil)
    At Endcliffe there are large garage like cycle storage areas on the ground floor of some of the accommodation blocks. You get authorisation added onto your halls proximity card which opens the door, and then you have vertical bike stands to add your usual locks onto. The access doors always have CCTV trained on them, and you can upgrade the contents insurance provided to include your bikes.
    WHAT!? no retina scans, lazer grids and electric fencing?

Thanks for the help.

@ Grapevine: yeah, thats the plan - steve peat is from Sheffield so if it's good enough for him...

ReputationRep:
    WHAT!? no retina scans, lazer grids and electric fencing?

Thanks for the help.

@ Grapevine: yeah, thats the plan - steve peat is from Sheffield so if it's good enough for him...
    Ahh, Steve Peat; I remember him from my days of reading MBUK.

Sounds like I might have to invest in a new mtb then!

Is it mainly a cross country or downhill scene in the Peaks then? I'd probably buy a hardtail and just use it as a bit of an all rounder if I do get into mountain biking when I'm at Sheffield. Also, do you know if it would be a case of just riding into the peak district or arranging transport? I see there's a mountain biking society at the uni so I guess a lot of stuff would get organised through that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grapevine)

Sounds like I might have to invest in a new mtb then!

Is it mainly a cross country or downhill scene in the Peaks then? I'd probably buy a hardtail and just use it as a bit of an all rounder if I do get into mountain biking when I'm at Sheffield. Also, do you know if it would be a case of just riding into the peak district or arranging transport? I see there's a mountain biking society at the uni so I guess a lot of stuff would get organised through that...
    There are great trails for XC (its a national park of course there are) and I like it because on an XC bike you can ride the 10km to the ladybower area really quickly and there are loads of great trails through the forests round there. Downhill, not my thing so much (can't afford it ) but I knew people who went out riding in the peaks most weekends so there must be places. But on a downhill bike you'd probably want a car or to take the bus to Hope.

In response to the OP's question, there is good security but peoples bikes do get stolen so you'll want insurance. If you live fairly close to sheffield might be worth waiting a few weeks till you know if you can keep your bike in your room for example (I know a few people who did) or what the security is like then taking it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostRiot)
    There are great trails for XC (its a national park of course there are) and I like it because on an XC bike you can ride the 10km to the ladybower area really quickly and there are loads of great trails through the forests round there. Downhill, not my thing so much (can't afford it ) but I knew people who went out riding in the peaks most weekends so there must be places. But on a downhill bike you'd probably want a car or to take the bus to Hope.
    That sounds good then. Like you say, downhill would be a tad on the expensive side :p: so I'm glad there's plenty of options to do XC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grapevine)
    Steve Pete doesn't get enough mention out of mtb circles its a shame, British rider with no less that 17 WORLD CUP TITLES!

Yeah there's loads of riding in the peaks, its not the best riding in the world obviously but its close and one of the reasons i've applied to Sheffield, no doubt the biking society will arrange further afield UK/overseas trips though.

ReputationRep:
    Steve Pete doesn't get enough mention out of mtb circles its a shame, British rider with no less that 17 WORLD CUP TITLES!
    Certainly more noteworthy than our football team's achievements :yes:

ReputationRep:
    ! Another biker, yay. I'm more of a downhill guy but I'm just as happy with cross country. I asked Sheffield ages ago about storage and to be honest the storage anyone other than I can provide isn't quite appropriate for a 2.5k+ priced bike, the way I see it is I'm definitely not taking either of my bikes for the first term, if I find some great place to store one (doubt it) then I'd bring it over the next time I pop back to visit my parents. Aside from that, I guess I'll just bring one or both bikes when I move out of university accommodation into a privately rented flat in the 2nd year (that's what people tend to do right?) That way I can keep my bike(s) safe inside the flat, that's the only way I can imagine keeping my bikes there.

Are the XC or DH trails within biking distance? I have to bike 7km up a very steep uphill route to get to the trails where I live so I'm used to having to ride to places, but any more than that with a DH bike would probably be a no no, it'd be fine with a XC bike (it'd be awesome if there are at least fire roads or something leading there and not just asphalt roads).

Biking is one of the reasons I ended up making Sheffield my firm instead of my insurance. Amongst other things of course (liking the course better, cheaper, etc). Looking forward to hopefully meeting all of you bikers once we're there! What's everyone applied to study? I'm doing a 4 year MEng in Chemical Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skycat)
    ! Another biker, yay. I'm more of a downhill guy but I'm just as happy with cross country. I asked Sheffield ages ago about storage and to be honest the storage anyone other than I can provide isn't quite appropriate for a 2.5k+ priced bike, the way I see it is I'm definitely not taking either of my bikes for the first term, if I find some great place to store one (doubt it) then I'd bring it over the next time I pop back to visit my parents. Aside from that, I guess I'll just bring one or both bikes when I move out of university accommodation into a privately rented flat in the 2nd year (that's what people tend to do right?) That way I can keep my bike(s) safe inside the flat, that's the only way I can imagine keeping my bikes there.

Are the XC or DH trails within biking distance? I have to bike 7km up a very steep uphill route to get to the trails where I live so I'm used to having to ride to places, but any more than that with a DH bike would probably be a no no, it'd be fine with a XC bike (it'd be awesome if there are at least fire roads or something leading there and not just asphalt roads).

Biking is one of the reasons I ended up making Sheffield my firm instead of my insurance. Amongst other things of course (liking the course better, cheaper, etc). Looking forward to hopefully meeting all of you bikers once we're there! What's everyone applied to study? I'm doing a 4 year MEng in Chemical Engineering.
    That's what I did, wait till second year, tbh, you're going to busy enough in your first year anyway. It wasn't till my second year I even thought about the peaks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostRiot)
    That's what I did, wait till second year, tbh, you're going to busy enough in your first year anyway. It wasn't till my second year I even thought about the peaks.
    Yeah, plus it's going to be a huge fuss moving from all the way from Hungary (after having moved here from Spain 3 days ago... screw this lifestyle hahahah I hate moving all the time), the last thing I need is a bike to take care of on top of everything. But you did bring the bike in the second year right?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.