Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's a good time for a 2k erg? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You're kinda thinking about 2ks in the wrong way. Rowers would probably only do 3-5 of these tests a year. They're a core part of crew selection because you can only cope with them mentally if your balls are on the line. If you're planning to do it a couple of times a week aster weights then you're never going to be able to compare your times to rowers doing it for a seat in their club's top boat. We live in absolute gut clenching fear of the things, the very thought of one is enough to make you physically ill for 2-3 days before. Do them properly and they really are that bad. I threw up after the first 4 I ever did, and that's not uncommon.

It's difficult to recommend something more worthwhile you could be doing instead without knowing your goals, but individual 2ks aren't going to do much for your fitness and are pretty much the most unpleasant thing you could be doing on the erg.

Having said that, a guy your size (probably 90 odd kg) would be expecting to pull in the 6:20 ball-park at a decent/semi-serious club level (and that's not even close to international standard).

ReputationRep:
    For someone who's done a 2k for the first time its a good score. But 7 minutes for someone who's been rowing for 12-18 months or more is not particularly great. I currently row in the GPS(which is a school competition) in Australia and have been rowing for around 18 months and pull an 2k score of 6:36 ( Im 6'3 and 86kgs). A majority of the boys in the GPS 1st 8's have erg scores usually around 6:10 to 6:20. Just though I'd give you a comparison with some of the more top end scores in school boy rowing

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your size. 7 minutes is a decent level for someone like me, at 170cm and 65kg. A big guy like you should be hitting sub6:40 before you're happy with their time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm j16 and have been rowing for about 2 years and got a 1:43.7 2k split at rate 24 and was wondering if this was good for my age group or not. I weigh 72 kilos and am 6"4.

ReputationRep:
    Hi just started rowing and did my first 2k erg in 7:15. Any good? I'm 6ft4 and in the lightweight category. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hec)
    Hi I heard my sis who had trials with GB youth rowing that a test rowers sometimes do is how fast they can do 2000m on an erg, so I decided to try it myself on an erg we have at my house, but I have nothing to compare my results to so thought I'd come here.

I did it on resistance 5 (I know it seems low but our rower hasn't been used much and it feels a lot stiffer and harder to pull than the ones at the gym, on which I go on res 7). I'd say it was roughly equivelant, maybe a bit harder to pull than at the gym.

I did 2k in 7 mins 19 sec with a split of 1:50.

how is this?

info appreciated
    That's amazing! I have just started my rowing training and mine was 8.27, so that shows how awesome that is!

Great job, *goes to work harder*

ReputationRep:
    The word retard is inappropriate you should not use in I your posts. I coach a disabled young man who rows with one hand and he can row a sub 7min . he has adapted his tech to suit.

ReputationRep:
    Im 70kg been rowing for almost 2 years and i just turned 13 and my 2km is 7:12.4 power on 3

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, if anyone could help i would appreciate it, I can't seem to break 7.30min for the 2k erg, tried different techniques, pusheing harder but can't seem to get there, but a little about my self, done no training for 2 years as I snapped my Achilles playing rugby, I'm 5'10.5

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.