Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please help a fatty in need. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'm neither fat, nor skinny really (skinny-fat, I'd say, you can see the tops parts of my ribs, a bloated belly, weird man moobs which aren't really moobs :-/, thickest thighs, skinny face, you get the picture just urgh irregular ) and I'm gonna do something about it! :yes:

My planned diet:

BREAKFAST: Glass of orange juice/water , weetabix and a fruit

SNACK: Probs fruit

LUNCH: Chicken Pasta salad/tuna salad sandwhich, something reasonably healthy, more fruit + water

DINNER: Potatoes, chicken, rice/pasta, vegetables etc, reasonably healthy again

Lots of fruit and water and NO fatty foods :woo:

GYM: 5-6 days a week, 1.5 hour sessions. Cardio for about 50-60 minutes (to lose the weird fatty deposits) and about 30-40 mins using the various weight machines (working on the legs/abs/arms/back/everywhere to tone up everywhere :yes: )

What'll happen to me? Will this work?

ReputationRep:
    It will work. However, you'd probably get better results from spending less time doing steady state cardio and more time doing heavy work with free weights (not weight machines).

ReputationRep:
    Diet seems fine, don't do too much in the gym because you're muscles need more time to relax.

I would suggest 3-4 times a week and also do the little things like count calories, saturates, sugars, etc.

Good luck...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    It will work. However, you'd probably get better results from spending less time doing steady state cardio and more time doing heavy work with free weights (not weight machines).
    Cheers for that, how long for improvements do you think?

I'm feeling extra determined! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afro Sauce)
    Cheers for that, how long for improvements do you think?

I'm feeling extra determined! :yes:
    Can't say exactly. You'll have to be in it for the long term though. It's a lifestyle change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    Can't say exactly. You'll have to be in it for the long term though. It's a lifestyle change.
    Fair say, I've been in it for a week and have begun to notice mild-ish changes visibly :awesome:

I really want to be fit for uni though!

(75kg and 6ft at the mo)

ReputationRep:
    I think your gym routine is unrealistic and badly coordinated.

Try a few less days, and break them up, give yourself rest days. Don't do weights on the same part of the body on two consecutive days. Ideally leave 2 days between each muscle group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    I think your gym routine is unrealistic and badly coordinated.

Try a few less days, and break them up, give yourself rest days. Don't do weights on the same part of the body on two consecutive days. Ideally leave 2 days between each muscle group.
    Would you say 3-4 days then?

ReputationRep:
    Im no expert but id say:

Your diet is fine.

your exercise routine maybe not so, id replace the cardio with a shorter session of HIIT, and use free weights rather than the machines. Just try the basic weight exercises: squats, bench press, deadlift, curls, rows, millitary press.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Would you say 3-4 days then?
    Yeah, that's a lot better. Probably just as, if not more, effective as 5-6 days, and with a whole lot less risk of injury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessiehibs)
    Im no expert but id say:

Your diet is fine.

your exercise routine maybe not so, id replace the cardio with a shorter session of HIIT, and use free weights rather than the machines. Just try the basic weight exercises: squats, bench press, deadlift, curls, rows, millitary press.

Good luck.
    Cheers mate, what's hit? :o:

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt recommend the chicken pasta and tuna sandwich that you mentioned unless your going to make it yourself, in the shops they are highly fattening!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    i wouldnt recommend the chicken pasta and tuna sandwich that you mentioned unless your going to make it yourself, in the shops they are highly fattening!
    I'm a great cook :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Yeah, that's a lot better. Probably just as, if not more, effective as 5-6 days, and with a whole lot less risk of injury.
    Cheers, I'll make it 3-4 days a week then, every other day

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate, what's hit? :o:
    HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training.

Google/wikipedia/the sticky in this thread will give you some info on it, but basically.

You change the intensity of your workout during it, take running for example:

Run for 1 minute
    Jog for 30 seconds
    Run for 1 minute
    Jog for 30 seconds
    etc

This can be altered to fit your abilities and you should improve with time. So if you are a beginner you might want to:

Speed walk 30 seconds
    Jog for 30 seconds
    etc

You could do it for cycling and possibly swimming aswell.

Its been proven to be 9x as beneficial for you as regular cardio and obviously its a bit of a time saver as it will knacker you quickly and each session will probably last about 15-25minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessiehibs)
    HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training.

Google/wikipedia/the sticky in this thread will give you some info on it, but basically.

You change the intensity of your workout during it, take running for example:

Run for 1 minute
    Jog for 30 seconds
    Run for 1 minute
    Jog for 30 seconds
    etc

This can be altered to fit your abilities and you should improve with time. So if you are a beginner you might want to:

Speed walk 30 seconds
    Jog for 30 seconds
    etc

You could do it for cycling and possibly swimming aswell.

Its been proven to be 9x as beneficial for you as regular cardio and obviously its a bit of a time saver as it will knacker you quickly and each session will probably last about 15-25minutes.
    Wow, and that's supposed to be good is it?!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, and that's supposed to be good is it?!
    Its the best cardio for losing fat. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    looks like a short term fad plan. (no offence). too many people are like you and plan mad schedules that they can never follow and they end up giving up after a month. it has to be a long term plan that you can carry out around your life to be of any use.

you are not eating enough to make your gym workout effective. no chance of putting on muscle on your diet so i the weights are a waste of time unless you are going to start eating properly.

for cardio. it is better to start with distance and add in some intervals when you are fit. if you are doing 'intervals' at the gym by walking on the treadmil and only sprinting for 10s before walking again, you look like and idiot and it is complete waste of time, this can in no way be called high intensity intervals but some imbeciles think it is the equivalent to outside. it really needs to be done outside. if you have to do cardio at the gym a decent row or a cycle is best.

perhaps i was a bit harsh since starting fitness is never easy but good luck. remember, needs to be long term there's no easy short term fixes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    looks like a short term fad plan. (no offence). too many people are like you and plan mad schedules that they can never follow and they end up giving up after a month. it has to be a long term plan that you can carry out around your life to be of any use.

you are not eating enough to make your gym workout effective. no chance of putting on muscle on your diet so i the weights are a waste of time unless you are going to start eating properly.

for cardio. it is better to start with distance and add in some intervals when you are fit. if you are doing 'intervals' at the gym by walking on the treadmil and only sprinting for 10s before walking again, you look like and idiot and it is complete waste of time, this can in no way be called high intensity intervals but some imbeciles think it is the equivalent to outside. it really needs to be done outside. if you have to do cardio at the gym a decent row or a cycle is best.

perhaps i was a bit harsh since starting fitness is never easy but good luck. remember, needs to be long term there's no easy short term fixes.
    Excellent, cheers for that

But honestly, I'm a really determined guy - whenever I have a goal, I work consistently hard to genuinely achieve it

What's bad with the diet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    Diet seems fine, don't do too much in the gym because you're muscles need more time to relax.

I would suggest 3-4 times a week and also do the little things like count calories, saturates, sugars, etc.

Good luck...
    How could you forget the pakora?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.