Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just graduated from university and am now taking a gap year. I have a TC with Clifford Chance, and am meant to be starting my LPC in September 2010. Can anyone tell me how the process works - CC have told me I need to apply to the SRA myself, but I am unsure what the timeframe I have to do this in is - the site suggests I have up until the starting date of the LPC next year. Also, does CC apply to the LPC for me?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    No, you apply to the LPC and you join the law society.SRA as a student member.

The LPC provider will register your LPC with them when you start.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? I heard from someone else in a similar position that CC actually give a list of future LPCers to the college of law, and thus one does not need to do anything for the time being...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reverendcurrent)
    Are you sure? I heard from someone else in a similar position that CC actually give a list of future LPCers to the college of law, and thus one does not need to do anything for the time being...
    As far as I'm aware you will still need to go through the application process, even if your place is guaranteed. Thus you will need to go through the tedious process of getting a reference, etc.

You apply for the LPC in Autumn, get formally accepted around February, then get sent an SRA application form a few weeks/months later and have to get the application in by the start of August 2010 (I think).

EDIT: Although I guess the obvious answer would be for you to talk to CC and ask them. :p:

ReputationRep:
    quick query, people with TCs, do your firms pay for the £80 SRA membership fee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rochelle)
    quick query, people with TCs, do your firms pay for the £80 SRA membership fee?
    There was something that my firm expected me to pay out of my LPC maintenance that they're giving me, and I'm pretty sure that it was the SRA membership fee. Other firms might have different policies though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    There was something that my firm expected me to pay out of my LPC maintenance that they're giving me, and I'm pretty sure that it was the SRA membership fee. Other firms might have different policies though.
    cool. thank you!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.