Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't quite sure where to put this as whilst my placement year is part of my uni course, it's an apartment owned by the company in Germany. So if the mods wanna move this thread that's cool.

Was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to stop the surfaces of kitchen sinks/draining boards smearing when I wipe them with cleaner? My oven hob is also made of the same type of stuff. I just can't get them to look clean once I've wiped them and it's driving me insane! I've tried glass cleaner, washing up liquid and water so far but I'm wondering whether to give bleach a shot. Suggestions please?

ReputationRep:
    One of those kitchen type cleaner products for those sort of surfaces, like cif? or cilit bang? I've used those things a few times and they seem to do the job rather well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enchanté)
    One of those kitchen type cleaner products for those sort of surfaces, like cif? or cilit bang? I've used those things a few times and they seem to do the job rather well.
    I've seen Cilit Bang in the supermarket down the road here and I did consider it as I know it's quite strong. At the moment I have glass cleaner which was 99 cents. Probably not the best option! I'll buy some when I'm low on this stuff I think, as I'm not moving out or anything so it's not urgent, just annoying. I just don't want it to look too dirty even though it isn't!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Get a dry cloth such as a tea towel and once the smears are dry just polish them off. My mam has obession with stainless steel so trust me it works. You can also get special stainless steel cleaner but its stupidly expensive for what it is

ReputationRep:
    What are the surfaces made of? If it's stainless steel, then one of the best and cheapest things to clean it with is baby oil (honestly!). You need a tiny bit on a non-fluffy cloth, and then you rub it in. It doesn't last forever but you will get a nice streak free finish. I use it on all of the stainless steel appliances in my kitchen and it's great (although peeople do look at you funny when they see you've got a bottle of baby oil under then sink ).

I'd be careful of cillit bang just because it's very string - if it's a sensitive surface then do check on an unobtrusive bit before you spray the lot.

ReputationRep:
    Its definitely been less smeary since I've used a dry tea towel, thank you brokenangel I only have the one at the moment though so I need to get it dry again.

I think it's probably stainless steel (couldn't think when I posted originally). I did wonder that about Cilit Bang as I don't wanna damage anything that'd cost a lot to repair or replace as I'll be in trouble when I leave here. My cupboards have started doing the same thing as well and have marks when I wipe them or use cleaner. Very annoying!

ReputationRep:
    Cream cleaner and the green scratchy pad end of those sponges. Can't go wrong. (For sinks and ovens anyway) After that just spray and wipe over to make it look shiny

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you supposed to sorta rinse or wipe away with a damp cloth after cleaning with those products? Otherwise you're just letting the cream cleaner product lie on the surface. Read the instructions on the bottle if you can. Most tell you to rinse or wipe away.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say thoroughly rinse, then dry with a non-fluff cloth.

As for the oven hob, it depends what it's made of really.

ReputationRep:
    I don't just spray and then leave it. I spray and wipe and I get smear stains.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.