Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wardrobe Essentials/Clothes to bring to Uni watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about what to buy before Sept, and seeing as I can't just blow my loan on clothes(...as much as I'd like to ), I've come up with a list of essentials that should (with some mixing up of outfits) get me through first semester without bankrupting me (for "me" read "mum" )

This thread is for advice/suggestions of what basics/outfits I'll need, also what items you guys(girls...YKWIM....) CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT!!:yes:

THE LIST

Bootcut/straight leg jeans in navy and black
    ballet flats in black, grey and another (bright)colour
    converse
    oversized/boyfriend cardigans in black, grey, white, coupla bright colours
    graphic tees and some coloured vest tops
    large purse/shopper style bag for books etc
    4/5 scarves
    cocktail rings/bangles/necklaces/sunglasses to mix it up

Even though I don't wear skirts, add whatever you want to the list, it'll be nice to have a resource for others on TSR.

P.S I'll pos rep the first post about birthday suits:p: and then thank yous to take this at least a little more seriously.

P.P.S NO debates about whether indie/emo/scene style is better than princess/sienna/katemoss clones style......just play nice

Thanks

Bee xx

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget your birthday suit!

Remember to take a warm coat/ gloves etc as you pack in Sept but by winter you will need them. And something to wear when you go out at night etc. Also, fancy dress item can come in useful, more so than you would think!

ReputationRep:
    I'd add in some boots for winter, a couple of good coats and jackets, and maybe some heels. Also a plain white shirt, as they're fantastic basics.

ReputationRep:
    P.S. Thanks for the rep!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    Don't forget your birthday suit!

Remember to take a warm coat/ gloves etc as you pack in Sept but by winter you will need them. And something to wear when you go out at night etc. Also, fancy dress item can come in useful, more so than you would think!
    WINNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:woo: RR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Pair of black heels/wedges just in case you want to go somewhere special. Heels can sex up any outfit!

ReputationRep:
    Plain black leggings? or do you not wear those either?
    I'd have a few going out dresses on my list, but maybe some sparkly tops or something if you aren't into skirts and dresses?

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this far ahead clothes-wise! I've been testing out various "edited" versions of my wardrobe for the past couple of months, and so far I've come up with this (bear in mind that I'll be going to Scotland!):

4x flowery/printed dresses
    3x woolly/knitted dresses (grey, navy, biscuit)
    2x skinny jeans (black, grey)
    5x plain tees (white, black, navy, pink, nude)
    5x cardigans (black, navy, dark green, light green, purple)
    3x jumpers (purple, blue, grey)
    2x 'heavy' coats (plum, brown)
    2x 'light' coats (black/grey reversible, navy)
    3x ball/prom/cocktail dresses (cream, pink, purple)
    5x pj bottoms
    2x slippers
    2x boots (black, brown)
    3x flats (black, blue, brown)
    2x pumps (white, coral)
    5x heels (black, blue, pink, nude, red)
    4x woolly scarves (nude, black, grey, pink)

Jewellery-wise I'll just be taking my watch and a couple of costume pieces that have been passed down to me. I'm not a big accessories fan, although this could change!

...it will probably need to be edited some more once I get there, but I'm thinking this will cover ALL eventualities. I also have a fairly extensive costume box that I'll be taking with me, but I think if I keep the coats/posh dresses/shoes in my trunk, then that will free up a lot of wardrobe space!

ReputationRep:
    Can I suggest something smart for wearing at interviews, part-time jobs, internships, meetings with uni staff, assessed formal presentations, etc, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Gloves! Definite essential for ANYONE! Except you might lose them.

I'd also add to that list:
    Hat (any form you like) for the bad hair days.
    Strappy tops (for in case there's some warm days)
    Footless tights/leggings/jeggings/whatever the **** they are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Unsightly)
    Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this far ahead clothes-wise! I've been testing out various "edited" versions of my wardrobe for the past couple of months, and so far I've come up with this (bear in mind that I'll be going to Scotland!):

4x flowery/printed dresses
    3x woolly/knitted dresses (grey, navy, biscuit)
    2x skinny jeans (black, grey)
    5x plain tees (white, black, navy, pink, nude)
    5x cardigans (black, navy, dark green, light green, purple)
    3x jumpers (purple, blue, grey)
    2x 'heavy' coats (plum, brown)
    2x 'light' coats (black/grey reversible, navy)
    3x ball/prom/cocktail dresses (cream, pink, purple)
    5x pj bottoms
    2x slippers
    2x boots (black, brown)
    3x flats (black, blue, brown)
    2x pumps (white, coral)
    5x heels (black, blue, pink, nude, red)
    4x woolly scarves (nude, black, grey, pink)

Jewellery-wise I'll just be taking my watch and a couple of costume pieces that have been passed down to me. I'm not a big accessories fan, although this could change!

...it will probably need to be edited some more once I get there, but I'm thinking this will cover ALL eventualities. I also have a fairly extensive costume box that I'll be taking with me, but I think if I keep the coats/posh dresses/shoes in my trunk, then that will free up a lot of wardrobe space!
    LOVE LOVE LOVE IT-you've even colour co-ordinated!!
    Gok would be proud!!
    .....think i'm having a girl-crush.....*swoons*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OptomBee)
    Gok would be proud!!
    Haha! With an edited wardrobe you NEED to be coordinated so you can squeeze the absolute most use possible out of everything! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Unsightly)
    scotlanddd.
    i've gone a bit crazy anticipating freezing cold weather and ice... lady N boot by hunter, got some new office boots & flats resoled with grips, buying tonnes of long wooly socks and i'm finishing off all my half knitted scarves!

my clothes are all black, greys, rich dark colours or white/nude, and i have stupid numbers of coats, knits, leggings and aa basics, so i'm hoping it's not too hard to co-ordinate and i won't have to buy too much. i do need a pair of jeans(ugh, succumbing due to versatility), a snood and a bomber/cropped parka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watermelon sugar)
    scotlanddd.
    i've gone a bit crazy anticipating freezing cold weather and ice... lady N boot by hunter, got some new office boots & flats resoled with grips, buying tonnes of long wooly socks and i'm finishing off all my half knitted scarves!

my clothes are all black, greys, rich dark colours or white/nude, and i have stupid numbers of coats, knits, leggings and aa basics, so i'm hoping it's not too hard to co-ordinate and i won't have to buy too much. i do need a pair of jeans(ugh, succumbing due to versatility), a snood and a bomber/cropped parka.
    Oooh I want some Hunters...and I missed wellies off my list, oh dear!

I know what you mean about the jeans, I bought my first pair in a LONG time in january, but they are brilliant for just throwing on when you can't be bothered, and as you said they are very versatile!

ReputationRep:
    Im going to edinburgh too, and i dont own a waterproof coat, or a mac or a parka. In fact no coat/ jacket with a hood. Believe it or not. Haha, got some shopping to do x

ReputationRep:
    fancy dress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OptomBee)
    Gok would be proud!!
    I 2nd this. It's like you read my fashion mind.

ReputationRep:
    Hoodies and sweatshirts.
    Sunglasses for sunny days spent outside revising or for hangover cover up.
    Might be an idea to take some trackies and a loose top in case you join the gym or a sports team or something.
    Pyjamas.
    Vest top.
    Underwear.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also going to Edinburgh (hopefully!) and have been ancipating the cold, resurrecting a number of scarves/gloves/hats. Though to be honest I'm still wondering how much of an idiot I wish to look in my first week in a variety of multi-coloured hats.

I haven't thought about what to take yet, thinking to take it all however I just counted that I am actually in possession of 24 dresses so may need to reconsider that policy...

OptomBee, I'd say another pair of bottoms, maybe a pair of nice skinny black trousers or something which can easily be dressed up or down? Or maybe a pair of black shorts of something. Then maybe something more casual like a pair of tracksuit bottoms, even for just a day slopping around working in your room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatt)
    I'm also going to Edinburgh (hopefully!)

I haven't thought about what to take yet, thinking to take it all however I just counted that I am actually in possession of 24 dresses so may need to reconsider that policy...
    yay4edz!!11 + sell some! i've sold about half my dresses on ebay and have raised a niiice bit of money to buy some new stuff

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.