Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

anyone else disgusted by Skins? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The latest series contained some pretty shocking storylines jampacked into hour-long slots... and they didn't seem much fun.

It's clearly ridiculous, and the only reason anyone I know watches it is because it's ridiculously funny. I watched the odd episode of the third series because of the guy who plays Freddie (:love:), but otherwise, I cannot understand why anyone would want to be like that.

ReputationRep:
    I really like it (even the most recent series was good i thought.) Some episodes were weak but there are a few standout episodes that were really well done. Some of the scripting, camerawork, music etc was excellent.

I dont think the characters from the show are supposed to be idolised or looked up to. Most of them have dark sides which makes them much more interesting in my opinion. Every story doesnt have to have 'good guys', 'bad guys' and a likeable protagonist with perfect morals.

And i dont think they made the program to influence teenagers in any way. The whole point was to write a drama about young people growing up today that didnt hide from certain taboo subjects. Obviously it was going to offend some people but i admire them for doing it despite that.

ReputationRep:
    im disgusted how they keep saying "spliff". lets buy spliff, lets have some spliff etc. if some fresher comes up next year asking for some "spliff" theyll get smacked :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I really wish people would get over this. It's a T.V show! If it was anything like reality it would be pretty boring that's why they use over the top story lines etc. There aren't really any British dramas aimed at teenagers and that is why it's received so much attention. Just get over it, no one is forcing you to watch it.

ReputationRep:
    The last series was a bit of a let down but it's far closer to reality than the inbetweeners, who act more like 12 year olds than 16/17.

ReputationRep:
    Loved series 1 and 2, (apart from the whole matt ******* thing, and i found the ep. where someone tries to make tony have sex with his sister really disturbing), but series 3 seems to just have turned into a kind of soap opera, with really depressing storylines and characters. It's not as funny either. I hate it, and couldn't be bothered to watch it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Link fail.

ReputationRep:
    I know a group of people exactly like the people in skins and they're ridiculous and they always look so fake in the way they behave at parties (there's always someone there taking hundreds of then-photoshopped photos)

ReputationRep:
    Nobody i know spends their lives getting pissed most nights, passing out, taking a combination of drugs, sleeping around and living in broken homes. I don't know anyone who's that messed up.
    The Inbetweeners is a much more realistic representation of modern teens. Especially hate the latest series of Skins, which i can't even stand to watch because it's beyond awful.

ReputationRep:
    I love Skins!
    I think its very realistic to teenage life, but obviously is exaggerated for the purposes of entertainment!
    To those who think it isnt realistic, i cant believe there isnt anything in Skins that you cant relate to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thriller)
    [url]
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ighlight=skins
    (Original post by thriller)
    yeah they were
    I think you'll find my post most certainly was not Anon, and had you actually read it, you'd have clearly seen I was in no way trying to say that my life was 'crap' compared to skins.

Infact there was no comparison made at all, my life was like skins back in 6th form, and all the comments I make in my post were based on personal experience, not from the TV show.

Please, next time you are going to try and use one of my posts in an arguement, at least make sure it actually supports your view rather then opposing it.

ReputationRep:
    i wanna be just like cook. i idolise the drugged up sex obsessed crazy lunatic. he is quality.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is a disgusting show. Mr.T should appear in each episode to throw one of those clowns through a window every time they light up a spliff.

lol does the programme show them smoking funny cigarettes?
    I've not seen much of it... I watched all I could bare, then OFF.

ReputationRep:
    HUCK you :p: Skins is greaaat! Roll on the next series!

ReputationRep:
    I've avoided watching it thus far

ReputationRep:
    It is a show about a bunch of tossers who cry every week. Since when do lads run around crying everyday?
    Although to answer OP I've actually spoken to people in real life who compare themsleves to this bunch of *********. Needless to say they wernt within my social sphere for long.

ReputationRep:
    It had Peter Capaldi, that earns respect from me.

Not to mention Harry Enfield, Bill Bailey, etc.

ReputationRep:
    the original cast when effy wasn't a main character was the best series but the third is rubbish :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I once heard someone in the media refer to them as:

Skins - how you wish your teenage years could've been like
    The Inbetweeners - how they actually were!

Personally I really like both, although maybe not skins series 3 as much, and the Inbetweeners is much funnier, but then it is a sitcom not a drama so to be expected :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    im disgusted how they keep saying "spliff". lets buy spliff, lets have some spliff etc. if some fresher comes up next year asking for some "spliff" theyll get smacked :yes:
    I concur

I thought they had young writers, who the **** calls it spliff, one thing that winds me up more about that show then anything else

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.