Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Untill about 3 moths ago, I did a lot of swimming. Because of that, I have quite muscly arms/shoulders for a girl, and I don't like it. Is there anyway you can tone down muscle? Would dieting work? Or will I be stuck with man arms forever
    Help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe cut down on the swimming, Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do any exercise for a while. It will turn into fat, which we like :awesome:

squish

ReputationRep:
    Swimming isn't really vigorous enough to build substantial muscle. Girls have a hard time building muscle too due to their lack of testosterone and building muscle takes a high protein diet anyway.

You really need to be lifting weights to submission to build muscle. You've probably just lost body fat leaving you more toned.

Post pictures. After all, it's only your arms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Untill about 3 moths ago, I did a lot of swimming. Because of that, I have quite muscly arms/shoulders for a girl, and I don't like it. Is there anyway you can tone down muscle? Would dieting work? Or will I be stuck with man arms forever
    Help appreciated.
    theres no way imo, im the same.
    Used to swim competitively for about 6 years, and now i have a large ribcage (so no sexy waist) and broad shoulders. Sucks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    Swimming isn't really vigorous enough to build substantial muscle. Girls have a hard time building muscle too due to their lack of testosterone and building muscle takes a high protein diet anyway.

You really need to be lifting weights to submission to build muscle. You've probably just lost body fat leaving you more toned.

Post pictures. After all, it's only your arms.
    Isn't it? Phelps is an animal? He does weights then on top of his swimming?

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't continuing with the excersise you used to do, the muscle will slowly turn to fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy1395)
    If you aren't continuing with the excersise you used to do, the muscle will slowly turn to fat.
    No it won't. Muscle doesn't turn into fat [/pedant]

ReputationRep:
    not exercising will not cause your muscle to turn to fat, but it will make u loose muscle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    No it won't. Muscle doesn't turn into fat [/pedant]
    My bad, sorry. Well, the amount of muscle will decrease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy1395)
    My bad, sorry. Well, the amount of muscle will decrease.
    Common mythconception :tongue:

Muscle will decrease if you do cardio without increasing your energy intake to match. Muscle is more easily converted to energy than fat, so high intensity cardio will reduce muscle mass. Not doing any exercise will have the same effect, but you'd not feel great :tongue: Muscle needs to be worked to grow/be maintained, in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    Dunno' if you're being sarcastic or not but of course he does.

ReputationRep:
    lmao, phelps is NOT an "animal" and does not have big muscles, all he has is a low bodyfat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    Dunno' if you're being sarcastic or not but of course he does.
    I wasn't just never really hit me, you hear of the "swimmers body" just assumed swimming got it like that, and the whole swimming works every muscle in your body.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't just never really hit me, you hear of the "swimmers body" just assumed swimming got it like that, and the whole swimming works every muscle in your body.
    Swimming is great all round exercise, but it's not the kind of thing that's likely to build muscle - more toning. Phelps must do weight training as well, like most sports people who need explosive strength.

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of muscle? eh...

Eat more, exercise less and for the love of god, dont squat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Common mythconception :tongue:

Muscle will decrease if you do cardio without increasing your energy intake to match. Muscle is more easily converted to energy than fat, so high intensity cardio will reduce muscle mass. Not doing any exercise will have the same effect, but you'd not feel great :tongue: Muscle needs to be worked to grow/be maintained, in general.
    I think thats another mythconception right there. It would take cardio on par with marathon running or starvation for a couple of days before your body taps into amino acids for fuel. An average 70 kg man has 135000 kcal stored as fat, which provides the reserve energy when your glycogen stores are depleted. Even during starvation, your body tries to keep muscle loss to a minimum by shifting to using fatty acids and ketone bodies as its fuel source, instead of amino acids (loss of protein will result in a loss of function).

Point is, cardio doesnt 'eat your muscles', unless we're talking really high levels of strenuous exercise. I think the more legitimate reason that people wishing to gain muscle dont do so much cardio, is that cardio uses calories, precious calories which the person has put a lot of time, effort and money into increasing in their daily diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGuillotine)
    I think thats another mythconception right there. It would take cardio on par with marathon running or starvation for a couple of days before your body taps into amino acids for fuel. An average 70 kg man has 135000 kcal stored as fat, which provides the reserve energy when your glycogen stores are depleted. Even during starvation, your body tries to keep muscle loss to a minimum by shifting to using fatty acids and ketone bodies as its fuel source, instead of amino acids (loss of protein will result in a loss of function).

Point is, cardio doesnt 'eat your muscles', unless we're talking really high levels of strenuous exercise. I think the more legitimate reason that people wishing to gain muscle dont do so much cardio, is that cardio uses calories, precious calories which the person has put a lot of time, effort and money into increasing in their daily diet.
    Well, I know that if you don't eat enough for a high intensity cardio workout, your body will go after muscle as well as fat, so perhaps I was a bit misguided on the "easier to gain energy from muscle part".

ReputationRep:
    Hey, umm not sure if this is true but it might work for you . . .
    do weights for your arms continuously without a rest day.

A rest day is used for the fibres in your muscles to rebuild themselves hence making the muscle gradually get bigger, so if you were to continually do weights on your arms with no rest day there would be no time for the muscle to rebuild itself therefore it would decrease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGuillotine)

~39lbs fat? :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.