Muscle. Watch

300mg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Luca118)
I wasn't just never really hit me, you hear of the "swimmers body" just assumed swimming got it like that, and the whole swimming works every muscle in your body.
Well there's swimmers body and surfers body. Surfers body is because they have such a low body fat percentage due to the amount of exercise they do. They look more toned then built.

Phelps would have a full time weights program though, on top of his swimming. Just like 100m runners do - they both need the explosive power to perform well in relatively short bursts (were as long distance runners don't aim for big muscles).
MrGuillotine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ashy)
Well, I know that if you don't eat enough for a high intensity cardio workout, your body will go after muscle as well as fat, so perhaps I was a bit misguided on the "easier to gain energy from muscle part".
You're right, if you are going to hit the cardio hard, you need to be well nourished.

(Original post by Brotherhood)
~39lbs fat? :/
Yeah, about that much. ~15kg
Brotherhood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MrGuillotine)
You're right, if you are going to hit the cardio hard, you need to be well nourished.

Yeah, about that much. ~15kg
It's actually closer to 18kg. Seems a bit high to me.
Steveo92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Actually, from 135000kcals its 15kg.

(135000/9)/1000=15
Brotherhood
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Steveo92)
Actually, from 135000kcals its 15kg.

(135000/9)/1000=15
No, it's 17.53kg. 135,000/3,500 = 38.57lbs /2.2 = 17.53kg.
Steveo92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, it's 17.53kg. 135,000/3,500 = 38.57lbs /2.2 = 17.53kg.
There are 9kcals per 1g of fat. At least thats what I've always been told?
Brotherhood
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Steveo92)
There are 9kcals per 1g of fat. At least thats what I've always been told?
There are ~3,500Kcal per lb of fat.
Joel4fun4u
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are ~3,500Kcal per lb of fat.
9 Kcal per gram of fat is often used when consuming fat. The 3500 kcals per pound is more of a rounded figure for weight loss.
Brotherhood
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Joel4fun4u)
9 Kcal per gram of fat is often used when consuming fat. The 3500 kcals per pound is more of a rounded figure for weight loss.
Which is what we're talking about isn't it? Energy stores. So, 3,500Kcal per lb of fat stored.
MrGuillotine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ive taken my figures from Stryer's Biochemistry. It says in an average 70kg man, the 15kg of triacylglycerols have an energy content of 135000kcal. Thats based on 1g of fat having the energy content of 9kcal as has been mentioned. Im not sure how the 3500 figure has been arrived at.

The 15kg value is an average. It would probably be higher in some individuals, and lower in others, like athletes. 15kg/70kg = 21% body fat, which I assume is pretty average for an untrained 70kg man.
Brotherhood
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ive taken my figures from Stryer's Biochemistry. It says in an average 70kg man, the 15kg of triacylglycerols have an energy content of 135000kcal. Thats based on 1g of fat having the energy content of 9kcal as has been mentioned. Im not sure how the 3500 figure has been arrived at.

The 15kg value is an average. It would probably be higher in some individuals, and lower in others, like athletes. 15kg/70kg = 21% body fat, which I assume is pretty average for an untrained 70kg man.
There are 3,500Kcal in a pound of human fat.

http://www.austincc.edu/sziser/Bio17...nal%20Asse.pdf
Joel4fun4u
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Which is what we're talking about isn't it? Energy stores. So, 3,500Kcal per lb of fat stored.
I'm saying that 1g of fat is worth 9kcal. Do you think fat that you eat has different calorific value than fat stored in your own body?
Tyraell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ashy)
No it won't. Muscle doesn't turn into fat [/pedant]
Thank you. You saved me from having to rant!

/catharticism
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Luca118)
Isn't it? Phelps is an animal? He does weights then on top of his swimming?
Phelps doesn't have much muscle. He's lean though and when he's actually in the pool he's exerting himself so he looks like he's got more than he actually has. To be honest he doesn't appear to have any more muscle than I have.

Add to that the fact that he's male, does far more swimming than the OP, possibly does weights on top of the swimming (I don't know where this came from, but I heard he didn't used to and now he does), and is pretty much certainly on PEDs that the OP isn't on, and the idea that the OP is overly muscular seems a bit far-fetched.

Some muscle on a girl's arms is far more attractive than them carrying extra fat or being twig-like, and since it's biologically impossible for them to be scarily big for a girl from swimming alone, I wouldn't worry.
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm saying that 1g of fat is worth 9kcal. Do you think fat that you eat has different calorific value than fat stored in your own body?
This has no medical basis, but is it possible that the disparity between the figures is due to the fact that the 9kcal per gram in food is a figure for 'dry' fat whereas the figure for a pound of fat in the human body includes some water weight?
MrGuillotine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are 3,500Kcal in a pound of human fat.

http://www.austincc.edu/sziser/Bio17...nal%20Asse.pdf
If I've got this right, that says you need to burn off 3500Kcal to lose 1lb of fat, which doesnt necessarily mean that 1lb of fat will give you 3500kcal of energy. Like I said, I dont know how exactly they've worked that figure out, but its more to do weight loss than energy expenditure. That figure doesnt concern my earlier statement about the energy reserves of our fat stores, hence why your calculations dont add up.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=X...esult&resnum=6

Pg 140, top paragraph, sixth line.
Brotherhood
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chumbaniya)
This has no medical basis, but is it possible that the disparity between the figures is due to the fact that the 9kcal per gram in food is a figure for 'dry' fat whereas the figure for a pound of fat in the human body includes some water weight?
Nail. On. Head.

Fat cells are only 87% adipose tissue. The rest is water.

See above.
Brotherhood
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If I've got this right, that says you need to burn off 3500Kcal to lose 1lb of fat, which doesnt necessarily mean that 1lb of fat will give you 3500kcal of energy. Like I said, I dont know how exactly they've worked that figure out, but its more to do weight loss than energy expenditure. That figure doesnt concern my earlier statement about the energy reserves of our fat stores, hence why your calculations dont add up.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=X...esult&resnum=6

Pg 140, top paragraph, sixth line.
There are 3,500Kcal in a pound of body fat mate. It's an established fact. I'm not making it up. So my math is sound.
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nail. On. Head.

Fat cells are only 87% adipose tissue. The rest is water.

See above.
Educated guessing ftw, muther****ers.
MrGuillotine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are 3,500Kcal in a pound of body fat mate. It's an established fact. I'm not making it up. So my math is sound.
To clear up, 1g of pure fat contains 9kcal, while 1g of body fat contains 7.7kcal (equivalent to the figure of 3500kcal/lb of fat).

In your reply to my first post, the 3500 figure was irrelevent. When Stryer says 15kg has the energy content of 135000kcal he's going on 1g of pure fat = 9kcal. He didnt use the 3500 figure because of the extra water, and since water has no energy value, it would have given a bloated (and false) value.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (215)
91.88%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (19)
8.12%

Watched Threads