Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy, and according to everything i have been told/read, condoms suck!

Like, causing you to have barely any feeling in your penis, and making the whole experience less pleasurable, needless to say the amount of time it takes to get one on can *like has been posted before* kill the moment.

So basically i was thinking about asking a girl to go on the pill instead of having to put on a condom, however when i talked to a friend of mine about this, he said the pill messes up a girl inside for abit and causes them to have very heavy periods

I don't want that for a girl and was wondering if what he said was true or not.

cheers

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally never ask, it's a woman's choice, not a man's.

ReputationRep:
    im on the pill and i use a condom, cus i dont want STI's!!
    and when u first go on the pill you come on ur period for the whole month, but lightly, i found. So you wouldnt be able to have sex for about... 4 weeks.

edit: then after the first month you will have normal periods.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl but I take the pill but I always want the guy to use a condom too
    The pill won't stop me getting STD's

Sometimes the pill can make the girl gain weight, or feel nauseous or have mood changes..

ReputationRep:
    Ok, cheers guys

[QUOTE=rockrunride] it's a woman's choice, not a man's.[/QUOTE

I completely respect that also, and i know it sounds very selfish to say that, (obviously i wouldn't force it upon her) but i was just wondering is all.

And just for the lol'z im going to use this
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    The pill makes your periods lighter if anything. There can be many side effects though- some people can feel vey ill or faint/ have an increase in appetite which can make them eat more -> put on weight/ bleeding in between periods/ it causes an increase in the likelihood of some kinds of cancer (but what doesn't really :P)/ when I first started mine my boobs were sore as hell for about a week/ etc. This can put a lot of people off but most things can be cured by just using a different tye of pill. Not every one can go on the pill though. For example, in people with high blood pressure there is a risk of blood clots. You have to make sure your girl friend has checked everything out through her GP first before you convince her to do anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    im on the pill and i use a condom, cus i dont want STI's!!
    and when u first go on the pill you are you come on ur period for the whole month, but lightly, i found. So you wouldnt be able to have sex for about... 4 weeks.
    This depends completely on the type of pill your using, any health issues and basically, the individual. I went on the pill because of dysmenhorrea (sp?) and it resulted in lighter, easier periods, so it's a godsend for me. The pill can be really benefical in some cases, but can have nasty side effects in others, like busterbunny said.

Again, condoms are really important to protect agaisnt STI's, so maybe before getting rid of them, get yourselves checked out. It's really best to be on the pill and use condoms, so if one fails, you have the other to fall back on. Condoms can spilt, and if you have sickness/diahrroea or miss a pill, then the pill may become ineffective.

To be honest, if it was me, and my boyfriend asked me to go on the pill so he could give up the condoms, I wouldn't be best pleased, but you obviously know your girlfriend better than some random in the internet.

ReputationRep:
    the pill worked great for me until 7 months after i started taking it, (a couple of months ago)
    i put on only a few pounds but they've gone again, and because i am on dianette my skin improved a hell of a lot
    but then on my 7 day break in june, the day i came on i was so ill, i could only get out of bed to allow my inners to kick everything out of them haha... i thought this was just a coincidence and had nothing to do with the pill as i'd never had a major side effect from it before...
    then, exactly a month later to the very same night, exactly the same thing happened again... and i went to the nurse and told her about it, and she said 'oh, wait and see if it happens again another few times, and then come back to me'. does she not realise that this is actually agonising for me... it makes me bedridden for a few days at a time and i lose half a stone in those few days from not being able to eat and lost water-weight...
    and now, i am waiting to see if exactly the same thing happens again TONIGHT... and i pray to god that it doesn't because it's HORRIFIC haha...
    ohhh welll, the pill, some of the time, is not all it is cracked up to be :P

ReputationRep:
    Well a few of my friends have said they had to come off the pill because it made them depressed and killed their sex drive. I've never had a problem with condoms, and as far as I know neither have any of the guys I've slept with or any of my friends.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had any bad effects on my period from the pill - only good ones, as they got a bit lighter and far more regular! I can't see any harm in asking a girl if she would ever consider going on the pill, I wouldn't outwardly ask her to do it though if I were you.

Should be considered that all girls are going to respond differently to the pill, in weight, moods, etc. It generally does make periods lighter though, and these effects tend to varying between different brands of the pill too - i've been on 4 different ones and now found one which is pretty perfect for me!

ReputationRep:
    Um...wha? Where did this friend get that information? It should help to make periods lighter. You can have side effects like your hormes messing up, possible weight gain, loss of sex drive, but it varies from person to person. I reacted to my first pill and don't have any side effects from the one I'm on now.

Whilst I agree that putting a condom on if a guy hasn't before can kill the moment a bit, practice! I wouldn't say that they hinder the feeling either though some people say they do.

ReputationRep:
    Try and take responsibility for your own actions instead of encouraging someone else to do it for you. I'm sure HIV, Gonorrhea or twins would make the experience even less pleasurable.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Short term relationships = CONDOMS.

Long term relationships = look for a method of contraception that suits you two; coil, implant, pill (varying types), etc. etc. (see your GP about the best method for you).

Each contraception affects the body in different ways; some will make periods heavier, some will stop them altogether. Some will make her gain weight, some will make her have mood swings. Some won't have any effects whatsoever

Make sure before you stop using condoms you are both checked for STI's though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.