Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i want to get a tattoo of a rose and bird on my stomach next to my hip. It;s quite detailed and medium in size. This will be my first tattoo and while i'm prepared to deal with some pain i'm worried it might be too much for me. Can anyone liken it to anything like pinching yourself really hard? Also i'm really skinny in a bad way so will this effect the amount of pain?

Oh yea and about how long do you think it will take?
    Any help or advice would be great

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it.

Think about when ur old and wrinkly it'll be UGH!! lol

ReputationRep:
    no one should be seeing my hips when i'm old and wrinkly! lol

ReputationRep:
    Lol good point

ReputationRep:
    dont do it... u will regret it

ReputationRep:
    Anyone with anything positive to say! lol

ReputationRep:
    What? People have given you stupid reasons not to get a tattoo! Just because you will eventually "get old"?!

Tattoo's can make you feel really good about yourself.. and really confident. They're a really unique and nice piece of body art.. I have a flower branch winding around my arm/wrist and it's gorgeous, I only had it done a few weeks ago.

Please don't listen to anyone who says "but you will get old and wrinkly." I will still love my tattoo when I am that age - because it holds a special meaning for me. As long as you don't pick something stupid and random, you will always love your tattoo because it's special to you regardless of if you have wrinkles or not.

Go for it girl.. we can't let aging put us off!! We only live once! My gran is 50 and was comtemplating getting one!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Mitsuki! some encouragement! I won't let their comments put me off, don't worry Confidence is precisely the characteristic i'm in need of so that's good to hear. Your tattoo sounds really pretty Mine has loads of personal meaning too so i can't imagine regretting it at all. I'm still pretty nervous about the pain - espacially going over bone :| but i reckon it'll be worth it Your nan sounds awesome! haha x

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I'd really like to get a hip tattoo, but I don't think it's a good look unless you're skinny (as you say you are). I think you should go for it, but keep it modestly sized. Make sure it's what you want, and if it is, the pain will be worth it I'm sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma.191)
    Thank you Mitsuki! some encouragement! I won't let their comments put me off, don't worry Confidence is precisely the characteristic i'm in need of so that's good to hear. Your tattoo sounds really pretty Mine has loads of personal meaning too so i can't imagine regretting it at all. I'm still pretty nervous about the pain - espacially going over bone :| but i reckon it'll be worth it Your nan sounds awesome! haha x
    Haha well about the pain it's actually not that bad~ It hurts of course but it's bearable, I was just sat looking around the shop - I did have to grit my teeth though. Once the outline is done the shading barely hurts atall
    Let me know how you get on if you go to have it done!

ReputationRep:
    So what if when you grow old, your tattoo's gonna resemble elephant turd? Sure as hell didn't put me off
    Hip? Will be more painful than other areas, as there is less fat around there and more bone. You put up with the pain 'cause you know it's your choice, and after a while - it's not too bad, bareable to say the least. Personally, I didn't think the pain was too bad (Medium sized, shoulder blade), all I wanted to do was swat it off 'cause it was annoying. Especially as it was near my ear, sounded like a fly or something :ahee:

Oh, and a word of warning - they are addictive!

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys i'm all excited now !!

ReputationRep:
    hey, definately do it if you're really sure about the design.
    i tend to have a design stuck to my bathroom mirror for a few months (!), and go for it when i still like it as much as in the first moment.
    don't let this discourage you, but my tiny hip tattoo was probably the worst (from the 5 i have). it wasn't necessarily the most painful, but the vibrations on the hipbone i found almost unbearable. but that's just me.
    have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ta-shi)
    hey, definitely do it if you're really sure about the design.
    i tend to have a design stuck to my bathroom mirror for a few months (!), and go for it when i still like it as much as in the first moment.
    don't let this discourage you, but my tiny hip tattoo was probably the worst (from the 5 i have). it wasn't necessarily the most painful, but the vibrations on the hipbone i found almost unbearable. but that's just me.
    have fun!
    do the vibrations hurt or just feel really weird?

ReputationRep:
    It hurts. It's difficult to liken the pain to anything, but it is painful. And directly over the hip bone is one of the most painful places I've been tattood. Having said that, around the hip bone itself was not bad at all. And it's different for everyone. Some people find it hurts more than others.

And even though it's painful, it's not unbearable at all. So the pain should not be a deciding factor in if you get it done or not at all. I'm willing to admit that I have a pretty low pain threshold, but I've sat and been tattood for hours and hours and hours in total.

Edit - The fact that you're skinny will make very little difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    It hurts. It's difficult to liken the pain to anything, but it is painful. And directly over the hip bone is one of the most painful places I've been tattood. Having said that, around the hip bone itself was not bad at all. And it's different for everyone. Some people find it hurts more than others.

And even though it's painful, it's not unbearable at all. So the pain should not be a deciding factor in if you get it done or not at all. I'm willing to admit that I have a pretty low pain threshold, but I've sat and been tattood for hours and hours and hours in total.

Edit - The fact that you're skinny will make very little difference.
    Thanks for actually answering my question as appose to telling me whether to get tattooed or not :P I'm fully willing to deal with the pain I just don't want to realise its to much for me after the artist has done a few lines you know? lol. I'm sure it'll be alright though If you can't liken the actual feeling to anything maybe you could compare it to other pains. Like is it more or less painful than getting burnt? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma.191)
    Thanks for actually answering my question as appose to telling me whether to get tattooed or not :P I'm fully willing to deal with the pain I just don't want to realise its to much for me after the artist has done a few lines you know? lol. I'm sure it'll be alright though If you can't liken the actual feeling to anything maybe you could compare it to other pains. Like is it more or less painful than getting burnt? x
    It's less painful than getting burnt! It will hurt but it's more of an "ow, that hurts" kind of pain than an "omg it's so painful omg i'm dying!" kind of pain. If you get me! Nearly everyone manages to deal with it quite easily. So don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    It's less painful than getting burnt! It will hurt but it's more of an "ow, that hurts" kind of pain than an "omg it's so painful omg i'm dying!" kind of pain. If you get me! Nearly everyone manages to deal with it quite easily. So don't worry about it
    Okay you've completely chilled me out about the whole thing
    Now for you opinion, do you think a rose on the hip will look silly or nice? with the leaves kinda following the shape of the hip.

I had a design with a bird next to it but i realised it looked like a pidgeon haha, so now i'm thinking tiny humminh bird on my side?

Be honest

ReputationRep:
    The rose is a classic tattoo image, so you can't really go wrong with it as long as it's drawn and tattood by a good artist. And that point leads me onto your bird, speak to a tattoo artist about it and they'll draw you one that doesn't look like a pidgeon! And that works together with the rose.

So yeah, if it's what you want, go for it. Don't listen to other peoples' opinions on your tattoo, it's on YOUR body, not theirs, so the only opinion that really matters is yours. Find a decent artist, talk to them about what you want, let them draw something up, and don't be afraid to say if you're not happy with it or part of it. They'll happily change it if you don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Arturo, you are brilliant x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.