Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Need some help with this question please.

"A sphere of mass m is spun in a circular path on the end of a string 1.0 m long. If the string makes an angle of 20° with the vertical, as shown in the figure, what is the horizontal tangential speed of the sphere? (Assume acceleration due to gravity is g=10 ms-2)"

This is what I did:

Tcos(20)=W=mg
    Tsin(20)=ma

tan(20)=a/g
    a=10*tan(20)
    a=3.64

a=v^2/r
    v^2=3.64 *1

v=1.91 ms^-1

Isn't linear speed the same as horizontal tangential speed?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Not completely sure what it means by horizontal tangential speed but my guess is that it would be the horizontal component of the linear (tangential) speed so you need to find the horizontal component of the speed you've found.

ReputationRep:
    But don't I need another angle for that? Or is it simply a case of doing 1.91 * cos(20)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john.miguel)
    But don't I need another angle for that? Or is it simply a case of doing 1.91 * cos(20)?
    Yup that looks right. Do you know what the answer should be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suneilr)
    Yup that looks right. Do you know what the answer should be?
    Unfortunately no, but I did post this question on Yahoo Answers and:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6070451AALYED6

As you can see the poster used sin instead of cos to find the horizontal component, I've never been good with when to know which one to use, sin or cos. But I take it he/she is wrong? And it is cos(20) that I have to use?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately no, but I did post this question on Yahoo Answers and:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6070451AALYED6

As you can see the poster used sin instead of cos to find the horizontal component, I've never been good with when to know which one to use, sin or cos. But I take it he/she is wrong? And it is cos(20) that I have to use?
    Can you post the diagram that was given? Is 20 deg the angle between the string and upper vertical or lower vertical?

ReputationRep:
    Can you post the diagram that was given? Is 20 deg the angle between the string and upper vertical or lower vertical?
    Here it is:

ReputationRep:
    Here it is:

Oh right. Damn I thought the particle was moving in a vertical plane. Ok yeah the horizontal tangential speed would just be the tangential speed in the horizontal plane ie the linear speed, so you don't need to bother with the cos or sin at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. Damn I thought the particle was moving in a vertical plane. Ok yeah the horizontal tangential speed would just be the tangential speed in the horizontal plane ie the linear speed, so you don't need to bother with the cos or sin at the end.
    Great! Thank you very much =D Left +rep.

ReputationRep:
    Np, its good to see I can still do some physics lol... Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 26, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.