The Student Room Group

Don't like being me anymore

This will sound really daft, but I don't like the person i've become.
Ever since I was little i've moved around alot because my dad works in the oil industry, so wherever he moved, my family moved.
I lived in Malaysia for around 6 years, but had to come back to the UK for university.
For a while i've been feeling really down, and I just looked at old photos from Malaysia and have realised how much i've changed. I used to be really outgoing, confident, the sort of person who people want to be friends with. I did amazing things like bungee jumping, sailing round malaysian islands, and I was a real party animal.
Ever since going to Uni though, i've been quiet, don't go out as much anymore, and I just feel like a shadow of my former self. I don't like being me anymore, I don't know why i've changed and i don't know how I can go back to being the person I was before.
I'm doing Events management at uni, I have some good friends and a job, but i've hardly spoken to my 'uni friends' at all over the holidays, were just not that close.
I feel like I want to rewind my life and go back to when I left malaysia and do everything differently.
I don't know if this is like a 'quarter life' crisis (i'm 19) or what, but has anyone else felt the same?
As far as I'm aware, having little contact with uni friends over the holidays is normal. I have about 5 close uni friends, and I've only really spoken to one a lot over the holidays. It's just beacuse all my old friends are back so I'm out with them. But when I'm back at uni it'll go back to how it was.
Reply 2
I like you :hugs:
Reply 3
It's not suprising that you might feel like that- it's so much more boring here! Uni's have loads of groups that do fun stuff like sky diving, try some out next year? It will be fun and you will make interesting new mates.

Try not to get down, that will make everything worse. Try going out more and get in contact with your friends, the holidays might be a good time for you to get closer.

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 4
:smile:
Reply 5
There isn't necessarily anything wrong with you. You're the same person, but just aren't exposed to the same situations and people. To be honest, a hell of a lot of students probably feel the same way when they first get to university. It's an overwhelming experience since there are so many different people, you tend to be nervous etc. You probably just don't feel like you've 100% settled and aren't completely comfortable yet. Honestly, give it time... try to keep yourself as busy as possible during these holidays, and focus on exposing yourself to new people and experience when you're back at uni. It's probably possible to do this simply through joining a new society or something similar.

Latest

Trending

Trending