Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the chances are that Turkey will eventually join the EU? And do you think it would be a good or bad thing if it were to happen?

ReputationRep:
    They need to have a good administrative sort-out before they do so. But why not..?

ReputationRep:
    What relevance does this have to Political Theory or Philosophy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamrock92)
    What relevance does this have to Political Theory or Philosophy?
    Just asking about your blog.

Do you know if Cato (one of your followers) is joking or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    Just asking about your blog.

Do you know if Cato (one of your followers) is joking or what?
    No, he's not joking. He has crazy views. (I know him IRL as well, and his ambition is to become the Prime Minister :woo: - shows you what kind of mates I have...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamrock92)
    No, he's not joking. He has crazy views. (I know him IRL as well, and his ambition is to become the Prime Minister :woo: - shows you what kind of mates I have...)
    He's got a hilarious writing style however.

(Original post by qwerty10)
    What do you think the chances are that Turkey will eventually join the EU? And do you think it would be a good or bad thing if it were to happen?
    Providing they can live up to the entry and membership requirements then I think it would be a great thing.

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: I just did some google research, and can't find any evidence to support the post I just wrote, so have deleted in instead.

Anyway - I don't see why turkey should join the EU. Their whole culture is completely dissimilar to ours, and most other European countries, so I don't see the point. How can we make laws, etc that would be equally relevant to Turkey and the rest of the EU?

(Original post by Spanghew)
    Anyway - I don't see why turkey should join the EU. Their whole culture is completely dissimilar to ours, and most other European countries, so I don't see the point. How can we make laws, etc that would be equally relevant to Turkey and the rest of the EU?
    What specific current EU laws wouldn't make sense in Turkey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    What specific current EU laws wouldn't make sense in Turkey?
    No idea. I'm not particularly interested in the EU, or laws in general.

I just don't see how the EU can continue to keep everyone happy, if the cultures contained within it are really quite dissimilar.

(Original post by Spanghew)
    No idea. I'm not particularly interested in the EU, or laws in general.

I just don't see how the EU can continue to keep everyone happy, if the cultures contained within it are really quite dissimilar.
    You're not making sense.

ReputationRep:
    If we allowed Turkey into the EU then we would recieve even more immigrants. So, it's a no from me.

ReputationRep:
    Turkey have a population of about 74 million people. Think of the immigration.

ReputationRep:
    They'd have to sort out their human rights before anything concrete was put into place. And as for the immigration, that's not always a bad thing provided that they're prepared to work. And you have no idea how many British people would emigrate to Turkey - it could turn out to be the new Spain with the amount of ex pats you find over there.

ReputationRep:
    When they stop occupying northern Cyprus they can join.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    When they stop occupying northern Cyprus they can join.
    thank you very very much. you are so generous. the only thing is, my Greek sister, we are not occupying northern Cyprus; there is a whole country there, as you may have noticed. Do not get me wrong, I love Greek people and tend to think that you like Turkish people too; but i believe you are biased somehow.

I personally would be happy if Turkey joined EU; but would not be downhearted if she did not. i have always believed that having hard feelings or opinions about political issues cause distress within society and humanity. but for an answer, i think we will eventually join eu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerd1729)
    thank you very very much. you are so generous. the only thing is, my Greek sister, we are not occupying northern Cyprus; there is a whole country there, as you may have noticed. Do not get me wrong, I love Greek people and tend to think that you like Turkish people too; but i believe you are biased somehow.

I personally would be happy if Turkey joined EU; but would not be downhearted if she did not. i have always believed that having hard feelings or opinions about political issues cause distress within society and humanity. but for an answer, i think we will eventually join eu.
    this country is only recognised by Turkey, sister

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Cyprus

read the first paragraph.
    Also, why would I be biased ? I am not from Cyprus, am I ?

ReputationRep:
    I think Turkey should join the EU. Certainly in many areas it has a distinctly more European 'feel' than an Asian/Middle Eastern one. I think it would be good for all involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    this country is only recognised by Turkey, sister

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Cyprus

read the first paragraph.
    Also, why would I be biased ? I am not from Cyprus, am I ?
    no you are not; if you were, you would want the island to be left in peace. Greece has made enough pressure on both northern and southern cyprus. Turkey "invaded" the land because of Greece. read the same paragraph that you told me to. or here you are, i am quoting from it:
    The TRNC declared its independence in 1983, nine years after a Greek Cypriot coup attempting to annex the island to Greece triggered an invasion by Turkey.
    what were you thinking? Turkish people were living there too. it's not an "only Greek" continent. did Greece want more land? come on, when will you give up from your Megali Idea?

bad news: you are biased; because you are not trying to negotiate in any way. you are obsessed with one idea that you were made to memorize. that is being biased. try to look from other's perspectives. would it be possible for Turkey to not to care about people who were dying and suffering in Cyprus? check this article in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_Blood

it tells you about the sufferings of Turkish Cypriots from Greek. The film is made by a Greek Cypriot filmmaker. interesting..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerd1729)
    no you are not; if you were, you would want the island to be left in peace. Greece has made enough pressure on both northern and southern cyprus. Turkey "invaded" the land because of Greece. read the same paragraph that you told me to. or here you are, i am quoting from it:
    The TRNC declared its independence in 1983, nine years after a Greek Cypriot coup attempting to annex the island to Greece triggered an invasion by Turkey.
    what were you thinking? Turkish people were living there too. it's not an "only Greek" continent. did Greece want more land? come on, when will you give up from your Megali Idea?

bad news: you are biased; because you are not trying to negotiate in any way. you are obsessed with one idea that you were made to memorize. that is being biased. try to look from other's perspectives. would it be possible for Turkey to not to care about people who were dying and suffering in Cyprus? check this article in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_Blood

it tells you about the sufferings of Turkish Cypriots from Greek. The film is made by a Greek Cypriot filmmaker. interesting..
    Whereas you are not biased at all ? I may not be from Cyprus but I know people who were only kids when the invasion happened and let me tell you, they don't have happy memories from it. So don't pretend that only Turks suffered. There was enough suffering from both sides, my grand grand mother was made to leave her home town for ever, as I am sure many people from Turkey had to do the same during the population exchange. I don't care about the megali idea, I didn't say anything about constantinople, did I ? All I said was that Northern Cyprus is NOT recognised as a country by the European Union, which means that if Turkey doesn't solve this problem, it can't enter the European Union, since it goes against its laws.

And if I want to quote films to prove the suffering of Greeks I can do so but this is not a contest of who has suffered more, this is common sense. If Turkey wants to join in the EU, it has to play by the rules.

*edit* omg I just saw the link you gave me for the film. Look what it says "The documentaries are about the atrocities committed by Greek Cypriot militia against Turkish Cypriots villagers during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974 "
    So....let's see...Turkey invades. Greeks are being killed. What do you expect ? To invite them in for a treat ?? They had to fight back. I am not saying violence is good, but under these circumstances, it is expected.

Ah, and as to what you said about me wanting to leave the island in peace if I were from Cyprus, I will only say that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomos_Solomou

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.