Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Turkey joining the EU? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    Whereas you are not biased at all ? I may not be from Cyprus but I know people who were only kids when the invasion happened and let me tell you, they don't have happy memories from it. So don't pretend that only Turks suffered. There was enough suffering from both sides, my grand grand mother was made to leave her home town for ever, as I am sure many people from Turkey had to do the same during the population exchange. I don't care about the megali idea, I didn't say anything about constantinople, did I ? All I said was that Northern Cyprus is NOT recognised as a country by the European Union, which means that if Turkey doesn't solve this problem, it can't enter the European Union, since it goes against its laws.

And if I want to quote films to prove the suffering of Greeks I can do so but this is not a contest of who has suffered more, this is common sense. If Turkey wants to join in the EU, it has to play by the rules.

*edit* omg I just saw the link you gave me for the film. Look what it says "The documentaries are about the atrocities committed by Greek Cypriot militia against Turkish Cypriots villagers during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974 "
    So....let's see...Turkey invades. Greeks are being killed. What do you expect ? To invite them in for a treat ?? They had to fight back. I am not saying violence is good, but under these circumstances, it is expected.

Ah, and as to what you said about me wanting to leave the island in peace if I were from Cyprus, I will only say that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomos_Solomou
    oh right, Turkey "invaded" Northern Cyprus for no reason. you did not try to annex the island to Greece. oh right it's not a part of your traditional obsession: megali idea. sure thing dear; look, an ostrich is flying!

Look i am really sorry about your great grand mother. Being made to leave home must be an unbearable experience. So all i and Turkey want from you is that you do not make Cyprus Turks leave their homes. They want to live there, in TRNC; their independent Republic. That's all.

TRNC will be recognised and this will solve the "problem". There is no other solution. Sorry about that. Turks will not leave home.

and one last thing: it is Istanbul; not constantinople! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerd1729)
    oh right, Turkey "invaded" Northern Cyprus for no reason. you did not try to annex the island to Greece. oh right it's not a part of your traditional obsession: megali idea. sure thing dear; look, an ostrich is flying!

Also i am really sorry about your great grand mother. Being made to leave home must be an unbearable experience. So all i and Turkey want from you is that you do not make Cyprus Turks leave their homes. They want to live there, in TRNC; their independent Republic. That's all.

TRNC will be recognised and this will solve the "problem". There is no other solution. Sorry about that. Turks will not leave home.

and one last thing: it is Istanbul; not constantinople! :yep:
    No one told Turks to leave the island. It can all be united, what is the problem with that ? Many Greeks were made to leave their homes when the invasion happened, don't you think a wise government should put an end to that ? I don't see why Greeks and Turks ( or Cypriots ) can't live in peace ?
    I didn't say that the Greeks who tried to unite the island with Greece were right, but this situation has been going on for 40 years now, it's about time it stops
    So, TRNC will be recognised ? Are you an oracle then ? You seem to be able to foresee the future. Good for you. Until your oracle comes true then, no EU for you.

As for the name I knew you would say that, do you know that istanbul has a greek origin ? Both are greek names, so I use both interchangeably. ( if you dont believe me check that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul )
    So, people should stop complaining about the naming. Until 200 years ago, this place was inhabited by many greeks as well, it has a clear orthodox and greek tradition, even its Turkish name says so.

ReputationRep:
    The British people signed up to a Common Market in 1973. Not a European superstate, involving countries with over 80% of their landmass being on the Asian continent.

ReputationRep:
    No one told Turks to leave the island. It can all be united, what is the problem with that ? Many Greeks were made to leave their homes when the invasion happened, don't you think a wise government should put an end to that ? I don't see why Greeks and Turks ( or Cypriots ) can't live in peace ?
    I didn't say that the Greeks who tried to unite the island with Greece were right, but this situation has been going on for 40 years now, it's about time it stops
    So, TRNC will be recognised ? Are you an oracle then ? You seem to be able to foresee the future. Good for you. Until your oracle comes true then, no EU for you.

As for the name I knew you would say that, do you know that istanbul has a greek origin ? Both are greek names, so I use both interchangeably. ( if you dont believe me check that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul )
    So, people should stop complaining about the naming. Until 200 years ago, this place was inhabited by many greeks as well, it has a clear orthodox and greek tradition, even its Turkish name says so.
    ahaha it is funny, that Greek try to annex the island to Greece and tell me that Turks can stay. wow. amazing. Hey here is one idea: let Cypriots form their own country and you don't try to take over that country! yes that's a great and peaceful idea; but wait a minute, will you let them do that?

i am not an oracle, sorry about that, i cannot tell you if you should expect a good future; but i consider the circumstances and then i can state my thoughts. i have prevision, like many great Turks and Turkish leaders. what? You don't have prevision? if you don't have prevision, then no cookies for you.

yeah i know the history of Istanbul; but you do not seem to know. you wrote 200 (ahahahahhahahahaha 200); it should be "until 500 years ago" (i decreased it form 546, just for you). what a pity that you are still living in 15th century. grow up, sister, it is Istanbul; whether you like it or not.

ReputationRep:
    ahaha it is funny, that Greek try to annex the island to Greece and tell me that Turks can stay. wow. amazing. Hey here is one idea: let Cypriots form their own country and you don't try to take over that country! yes that's a great and peaceful idea; but wait a minute, will you let them do that?

i am not an oracle, sorry about that, i cannot tell you if you should expect a good future; but i consider the circumstances and then i can state my thoughts. i have prevision, like many great Turks and Turkish leaders. what? You don't have prevision? if you don't have prevision, then no cookies for you.

yeah i know the history of Istanbul; but you do not seem to know. you wrote 200 (ahahahahhahahahaha 200); it should be "until 500 years ago" (i decreased it form 546, just for you). what a pity that you are still living in 15th century. grow up, sister, it is Istanbul; whether you like it or not.
    I am not talking about 1453...god. Greeks were living in Istanbul during the Ottoman empire, they even had important powers ( have you ever heard of phanariotes ? that's for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phanariotes so you can improve your history abit :P ). Are you that ignorant ? They only started leaving when Greece beat the hell out of Turkey, in 1821...if you recall :P ( hence the 200 years )Also...and this is the last time I bother talking to you, because your mind seems to be floating above your head, did I ever say Cyprus should be Greek ? Are you making stuff up ? Cyprus should be its own country, do you understand that or you want me to repeat it ? Neither Greek nor Turkish, but definitely united, since as we both agree, both Greeks and Turks were living in all of it, and when Turks took over the northern part, Greeks had to leave.

ReputationRep:
    if EU does not take us because of Greek's pointless and obsessive reasons, then we should better be out of it; because if so it means EU is not as powerful as we thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    The British people signed up to a Common Market in 1973. Not a European superstate, involving countries with over 80% of their landmass being on the Asian continent.
    Cyprus is completely in Asia, yet they were admitted.

ReputationRep:
    if EU does not take us because of Greek's pointless and obsessive reasons, then we should better be out of it; because if so it means EU is not as powerful as we thought.
    the EU doesn't recognise the TRNC. Don't you understand that this is not about Greece ? You sound like the obsessed one here. If the EU doesn't recognise it, and Turkey refuses to co operate then how exactly is Greece's fault if it doesn't join ? It's your government's stubborness's fault.

ReputationRep:
    When they stop occupying northern Cyprus they can join.
    this

Go Greece!

Anyways, after they get out of Cyprus, Turkey should definitely be accepted.

ReputationRep:
    the EU doesn't recognise the TRNC. Don't you understand that this is not about Greece ? You sound like the obsessed one here. If the EU doesn't recognise it, and Turkey refuses to co operate then how exactly is Greece's fault if it doesn't join ? It's your government's stubborness's fault.
    It's not really about Greece, but about Cyprus. It was in retrospect a mistake to allow Cyprus to join before islands dispute was resolved. Although any idiot could have told the EU that before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saff123)
    It's not really about Greece, but about Cyprus. It was in retrospect a mistake to allow Cyprus to join before islands dispute was resolved. Although any idiot could have told the EU that before.
    Yeah, that's what I said, that it's not about Greece, but the Turkish girl ( nerd something ) kept saying it's Greeks who want the island or whatever...However, I disagree with you as to that it was a mistake to let the island join. Not all the island joined. Half of it ( the republic of Cyprus ) joined, and I don't see why they wouldn't. Just because the island is not under the same government doesn't mean that the part that is a country, legally recognised etc, shouldn't join. That's abit like saying that Ireland shouldn't join, because northern Ireland belongs to Britain.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I said, that it's not about Greece, but the Turkish girl ( nerd something ) kept saying it's Greeks who want the island or whatever...However, I disagree with you as to that it was a mistake to let the island join. Not all the island joined. Half of it ( the republic of Cyprus ) joined, and I don't see why they wouldn't. Just because the island is not under the same government doesn't mean that the part that is a country, legally recognised etc, shouldn't join. That's abit like saying that Ireland shouldn't join, because northern Ireland belongs to Britain.
    It was a mistake because by allowing Cyprus to join the EU before a resolution to the conflict, Turkeys membership talks are complicated and dominated by the Cyprus issue which shouldn't be the case, it also generally causes a rift between Turkey and the EU.

The only ones who benefit from the situation is hard-liners in Turkey who don't want Cyprus resolved, and don't want political reform, and those hard liners in Cyprus who want unification on their terms alone which seems unlikely.

Both Greeks and Turks are losers in the current situation. As neighbors they should be allies not enemies.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really the same situation. The issue is that the Republic of Cyprus claims to be the legitimate government of all of Cyprus. It doesn't recognise North Cyprus (can't remember what it's proper name is) as a proper country. The situation with Ireland is pretty different. While Northern Ireland is sort of in dispute (I don't think the Irish government claims NI as part of it's territory), both countries accept that for now it is part of the UK and not Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    What about the Armenian Genocide? Or, rather, acknowladging it?

ReputationRep:
    NO,

The european people do NOT want turkey in the EU. we dont want you values, beliefs and people to become citizens of europe.

islam has no place in the democratic west. do you think allowing 70 million muslims become european is a good idea ?

**** off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    It's not really the same situation. The issue is that the Republic of Cyprus claims to be the legitimate government of all of Cyprus. It doesn't recognise North Cyprus (can't remember what it's proper name is) as a proper country. The situation with Ireland is pretty different. While Northern Ireland is sort of in dispute (I don't think the Irish government claims NI as part of it's territory), both countries accept that for now it is part of the UK and not Ireland.
    no one recognises Northern Cyprus as a proper country. I still don't see why the republic of cyprus shouldn't join though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esme_dear)
    What about the Armenian Genocide? Or, rather, acknowladging it?
    Yes, it was terrible. However, it's in the past. You can't really punish a modern state for what their ancestors did, or else Germany wouldn't have joined either :p:

ReputationRep:
    no one recognises Northern Cyprus as a proper country. I still don't see why the republic of cyprus shouldn't join though...
    Apparently neither did the EU. But I think some people see an issue that it doesn't control all of the territory that it claims as part of the country.

ReputationRep:
    It will be silly because Turkey isn't European in Race, Culture, Society, Economy, Religion, Heritage, philosophy, not in any detail could Turkey be remotely construed as European. In fact historically Turkey has been hacking at Europeanism for centuries. Turkey is a muslim middle eastern country. WE DON'T WANT THEM OR THEIR GROTTY KEBABS OR THEIR GREASY MEN IN OUR EUROPEAN UNION. We don't even want the European Union never mind the middle east!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! We've got plenty of our own greasy kebabs and grotty men right here in Britain.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.