Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bartleboom)
    Turkey should (and probably will) be accepted in the EU.
    There are many reasons:
    1- Turkey is the biggest and the most powerfull (military) country in one of the most dangerous region in the world. It's a good idea to try to make it confederate a membre of our Union.
    2- Turkey is the biggest moderate Islamic country. It's essential that Turkey remains a moderate Islamic country and it doesn't became like Iran. It's essential that EU makes sure that it'll be happen. And the only way to do this is to accept Turkey in the EU.
    3- Istanbul is a very European city. Europe and Turkey have had always very close relation. It's time to improve this relations.
    4- Turkey is one of the most important economic partner of the EU. And it has a strong economy, not as strog as some EU countries, but it grows very quickly, much more quickly than EU countries.
    5- It's a democaratic country and it's very important to stabilize the democracy in Turkey and back the liberal political factions in oreder to ensure all the civil rights in the country.
    6- Turkey is in a very strategic position for many reasons: pipelines, military bases, ecc.ecc.. It's fondamental for the EU's energy security.

And many other reagions. EU needs Turkey becaus EU nees to grow.
    Greece and Cyrus will never let it happen. :yep: It's as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    It will never happen because the european people will never let it happen. The vast majority of european citizens are venomously against turkey joining the EU.

We simply do not want them in europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Greece and Cyprus have no enough seats in the European parlament to stop a decision done by UK, France and Germany.

ReputationRep:
    Greece and Cyprus have no enough seats in the European parlament to stop a decision done by UK, France and Germany.
    As far as I know, all Member States are suppose to acquiesce on the entry of a new country to the Union.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kickflip)
    Turkey was once a white country. St George came from there. Now it's part of the Muslim World.

That is the most retarded comment i have seen on TSR :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    1. All full members can veto the decision.

2. EU will not accept a new member state that has a long-running unresolved military conflict with an existing EU member.

ReputationRep:
    Turkey is a misfit in Europe. EU is a Christian Club.

Are Turks really moronic to not have realized this after 8 decades that they have been begging EU?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Why should religion be a barrier to them joining the EU? Does that say more about our intolerance than anything else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths-enthusiast)
    Turkey is a misfit in Europe. EU is a Christian Club.
    I think Czech republic and Estonia are mostly non-religious. Although I suppose they are still Christian in the sense that it is the biggest religion even though the majority of people claim no link or allegience to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths-enthusiast)
    EU is a Christian Club.
    That's incidental rather than purposeful.

ReputationRep:
    Oh for the love of pink bunnnies, EU will not, should not have Turkey any more than it should have Russia. Contrary to what some think and claim, the EU does not need Turkey. It does not need Turkey badly enough to ignore all arguments against accepting it. For those who do not agree – take a deep breath and look at what is happening. It's Turkey who wants „in” horridly, and EU that is shying away!

Turkey is the biggest and the most powerfull (military) country in one of the most dangerous region in the world..
    Europe, much? That most dangerous region in the world? Europe? Consider: European Union. European, not, say, World Union.
    That Turkey is big and powerful goes without saying. So are many other countries. That is not a deciding factor. There is no either “with” or “against”. There is plenty of middle ground to muck about in.

Turkey is the biggest moderate Islamic country. It's essential that Turkey remains a moderate Islamic country and it doesn't became like Iran. It's essential that EU makes sure that it'll be happen. And the only way to do this is to accept Turkey in the EU.
    Pink bunnies indeed. Joining the EU will not, I repeat, will not magically solve all Turkey's problems! That's madness. But, if that is what you think, please back it up. I'm prepared to listen. I'm sincerely interested in how the EU will keep away people converting to Islam in Turkey, Muslim moving in to Turkey, and generally make Islam keep a low profile. Please do. And while you are it, please also explain to ignorant little me that bit about Turkey turning into Iran IF the EU does not do we-all-know-what.

I'm sorry, but I'm sick of hearing how joining the EU will, to repeat myself, solve all Turkey's problems. I'll keep on being impolite and even say that it's stupid and untrue. This is not a fairy tale. Please do not come up with “closing the door” fluff in a luke-warm pity attempt. Turkey needs the EU – well pardon me if I do not go looking for a Kleenex!

Turkey has an unresolved military conflict with an EU member. That is enough to decline candidature. Whether Turkey is bad or good, the injured party or the aggressor does not matter. Read thst first sentence again. Unresolved military conflict with an EU member. Read it again and again, if you please. And somewhere along, mention stubborn, donkey style denials of past crimes. Denial to face reality and history.

Solely England, France and Germany do not make up the EU. If that is what you think, then you are wrong, wrong, wrong. Each member state can veto. And believe me, there are those that will, even if precious England, France and Germany would not be against. Equality, much?

That said, why do you want Turkey in EU? Not why Turkey would like to be in EU, but why the EU would like Turkey to be in, because frankly, at this point that is more important. Make a list made up those, and then cross out pity attempts and EU-is-not-tolerant-to-Muslims outcries because that is not the most important of reasons why Turkey should not be a member. That is a little tiny detail that people who do not want to talk about what is really keeping Turkey out. And then make another list, of factors shrieking: No! and perhaps see that it is significantly longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    Why should religion be a barrier to them joining the EU? Does that say more about our intolerance than anything else?
    Those are very dumb questions. Of course, religion should be a factor! Have to live with these people forever in a sort of marriage.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Those are very dumb questions. Of course, religion should be a factor! Have to live with these people forever in a sort of marriage.
    Would you like to actually answer them then?

ReputationRep:
    Would you like to actually answer them then?
    I just did. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Turkey shouldn't join until it's economically developed. By that I mean all of it. Not just the Western part of it. Also they have to get rid of those retarded secularists. Bloody idiots who keep on kissing the picture of a dead man.

Other then that get rid of the nationalistic stuff they have going on against Armenians and Kurds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    Turkey shouldn't join until it's economically developed. By that I mean all of it. Not just the Western part of it. Also they have to get rid of those retarded secularists. Bloody idiots who keep on kissing the picture of a dead man.

Other then that get rid of the nationalistic stuff they have going on against Armenians and Kurds.
    You mean get them to recognize the Armenian Genocide?

Not going to happen in my lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    Turkey shouldn't join until it's economically developed. By that I mean all of it. Not just the Western part of it.
    Turkey's economy is as developed as Romania and Bulgaria, both of which are already EU members.

Also they have to get rid of those retarded secularists. Bloody idiots who keep on kissing the picture of a dead man.
    Should they also get rid of those retarded Muslims? You know, the bloody idiots who keep on worshipping that dead man?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    You mean get them to recognize the Armenian Genocide?

Not going to happen in my lifetime.
    Not just recogonizing the Genocide but to end discrimination against them. Get the secularist and the Military Elite to STFU about "Turkishness" and "Ataturks Republic". All of that is just an excuse to oppress minorities living in Turkey. The Turkish-Armenians shouldn't have to live in fear. If Turkey can't recognise what they did 90 years ago then they have no business in the EU. It's already bad enough that we have the Eastern Europeans who think it was a good idea to kill off Germans and Hungarians afters the war.

Turkey should make a choice. Either they want to jump into the future or stayed where they are right now. What ever they want the greeks (their nemesis) despite failing miserably is better off then they are.

(Original post by CompanyLimited)
    Turkey's economy is as developed as Romania and Bulgaria, both of which are already EU members.

Should they also get rid of those retarded Muslims? You know, the bloody idiots who keep on worshipping that dead man?
    Letting Romania and Bulgaria join was a big mistake. Something we've already realized. Romania has to many poor people especially the Roma. There is still major corruption in that country. Bulgaria is very corrupt. They just should not have been allowed to join.

Oh and muslims aren't a problem in Turkey. First of all they don't worship a dead man. Where were you educated? Where in Gods name did you get that idea. It's simply just so stupid that a child would know not to say something like that. Muslims pray to a God. who .... as all Gods are is immortal.

Anyway back to the main topic. The problem with Turkey isn't the muslims. The Country practically muslim. It's the secularist Elite. Muslims weren't responsible for coups that destabilize the country. THey weren't responsible for the horrors that the country faced. They weren't responsible for enforcing nationalistic laws that jails anyone who attempts to practice free speech. Nor are they the ones who clandestinely kill and torture people. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    stupid, ignorant remark. religion IS barrier, especially the culture, values, ideology, and political & social influence that comes with it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by crusading)
    stupid, ignorant remark. religion IS barrier, especially the culture, values, ideology, and political & social influence that comes with it.
    Why should it be a barrier? I don't see any reason for it except utter ignorance on the part of seeing it as one. Frankly I find it pathetic that some should expect others to conform to the same culture as ourselves. Why not just accept it and learn to live with them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.