Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    What would you define as European?
    European state is one within the borders of Europe ,with main religion Christianity. And most of all a state which contributed to Europe!
    Turkey can't be difened as European , because there's no such thing as humanism known to them. Do you know Armenian genocide , Greek genocide , Balkan genocide as a whole?!?
    Do we need such people in Europe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etnies)
    European state is one within the borders of Europe ,with main religion Christianity. And most of all a state which contributed to Europe!
    So Turkey never contributed to Europe, the same Turkey which along with Greece was the birthplace of western democracy? The same Turkey in which Homer (a turk by todays definition) composed what is regarded as the first piece of western (and therefore European) literature The Illiad, on which all literature for the next thousand years was compared to? The same Turkey which for over 800 years was the Holy Byzantine Empire and fought in the crusades with the other christian kingdoms?
    The fact is Turkey was contributing to the formation of what would become Europe when Britian was stilll being run by tribal druids and long before most of the other nations.

Turkey can't be difened as European , because there's no such thing as humanism known to them. Do you know Armenian genocide , Greek genocide , Balkan genocide as a whole?!?
    :lolwut: Do you know the Holocaust? What about the expulsion of the Jews? What about the French atrocities committed in Algeria that they will never acknowledge? What about the British Operation Anvil in Kenya and the people they tortured?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know about Holoucaust!It means "Burning of a GOD".
    And I'm sorry to inform you - your history sucks!
    As far as I know England was created in 1066 and The Ottoman Empire - 1200 ??
    So what's that rubbish - "Homer was Tukish"
    Turkey was not present on the Balkan Peninsula at that time mate. At least look up for some info before posting nonsenses.

And one last fact - Ottoman Empire was so bloody traditional that rejected all the new technologies from Western Europe.
    Before Kemal Ataturk , they were all some muslim fanatics. So I don't find anything European in that state.

(Original post by Aeolus)
    So Turkey never contributed to Europe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Welcome back! Glad you decided to return.
    Man, I can't stand by and let the EU be distorted by misinformation.

ReputationRep:
    Turkey's major centers of population and commerce (Konya, Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, etc), are increasingly 'western' in terms of consumer choice and popular culture. I have worked in Turkey, indeed I have just returned from working in central Turkey in its most traditional area (the Konya plain). This did not prevent me from using Friday's (the Muslim holy day) in order to exchange money, visit supermarkets and use public buildings, indicating that Turkish culture is very much one of a European model.
    I don't think there is much ban on doing business on Fridays. I think your confusing it with Judaism.

You fall on the rhetoric of immigration 'influx', yet would this largely be the case? It would be more likely that many Turkish workers would not travel outside the country itself, seeing as unlike EU states it is undergoing a massive economic expansion, especially in the areas of construction which attract itinerant labour (I have just returned from Istanbul; it is largely a building-site at the moment). Indeed, many Turks have closer affiliations with France and Germany, including a greater commonality with German language and culture. There were 'fears' that when Bulgaria and Romania joined the EU there would be an 'immigration influx', but this did not occur even in any form.

The problem isn't the jobs available it's the wages. In Poland many employed people left because they could get more money doing unskilled work in the UK. Even if Turkey has enough jobs it won't plug the wage gap. If Turkey is to join we need a stricter form of ban that was imposed on Bulgaria and Romania. We didn't get hundreds of thousands of workers from these country because a limit was imposed on them. With Turkey the limit has to be even stricter and longer.

So Turkey never contributed to Europe, the same Turkey which along with Greece was the birthplace of western democracy? The same Turkey in which Homer (a turk by todays definition) composed what is regarded as the first piece of western (and therefore European) literature The Illiad, on which all literature for the next thousand years was compared to? The same Turkey which for over 800 years was the Holy Byzantine Empire and fought in the crusades with the other christian kingdoms?
    The fact is Turkey was contributing to the formation of what would become Europe when Britian was stilll being run by tribal druids and long before most of the other nations.
    You need to get your head out of Ancient to Mideval Turkey and Modern Turkey. The people who inhabit Turkey are not largely the same people has todays Turkey. They were Greeks and Armenians. Homer was a greek in fact. They were displaced by modern Turks who came from Central Asia and eventually transferred/harrassed out in this century.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)

You need to get your head out of Ancient to Mideval Turkey and Modern Turkey. The people who inhabit Turkey are not largely the same people has todays Turkey. They were Greeks and Armenians. Homer was a greek in fact. They were displaced by modern Turks who came from Central Asia and eventually transferred/harrassed out in this century.

Actually, If you look back in the thread, you will find that i was replying to the statement that Turkey is an Asian continent and has contributed nothing to Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know about the ethnic cleansing of Turks (and other Muslims groups) from Greece and the Balkans? As well as from Bulgaria, the flag you have there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    Do you know about the ethnic cleansing of Turks (and other Muslims groups) from Greece and the Balkans? As well as from Bulgaria, the flag you have there.
    Define "ethnic cleansing".
    There was such thing but turks in these states were obliged to chage their names. Those who refused just moved to Turkey. Nobody was killed...
    So if we compare this with the genocides done by Turks which resulted in thousand dead ppl. What do we get?

ReputationRep:
    Define "ethnic cleansing".
    The expulsion, killing or eradication of a particular ethnic/linguistic/religious group of peoples by another ethnic/linguistic/religious group of people.

There was such thing but turks in these states were obliged to chage their names. Those who refused just moved to Turkey. Nobody was killed...
    Stop deluding yourself, hundred of thousands, if not millions of Turks (and other non-Christians) were ethnically cleansed during the Ottoman-Balkan Wars of 1877-1878, the First Balkan War and World War One.

So if we compare this with the genocides done by Turks which resulted in thousand dead ppl. What do we get?
    Hypocrisy?

ReputationRep:
    Ok , people if you're not familiar with History don't waste your time posting here.

Russo-Turkish War (1877–1878)

Casualties and losses
    Russian: 27,512 killed in battle, missing in action, and died of wounds. 49,828 wounded. 46,000+ non-combat deaths, mostly from disease. [1]

Romanian: 4,302 dead and missing, 3,316 wounded, 19,904 sick.[2]

Turkish:151,750+ killed, wounded, or captured

That's what I call millions

I can't find info about the numer of casualties during First Balkan War.
    And mate in order to "enlighten" you the Second Balkan War was not against Turkey

for more info : www.wikipedia.org

P.S After Russo - Turkish war there were no ethnic cleansing due to the fact that there almost no Turks in the liberated lands.

No offence, but I'm kinda fed up with stupid people. Get yourself educated for God's sake!

edit:in WWI We were on the German side along with Turkey so what's the point?

Hypocrisy?

ReputationRep:
    Russo-Ottoman War (1877-1878):
    ...17% (262,000) of the Muslims of Bulgaria died during and immediately after the 1877-1878 war. Some 515,000 surviving Muslims, almost all Turkish, were forced from Bulgaria... never to return home... Some 55% of the of the Muslims of Bulgaria, mainly Turks, were either evicted or killed.

Unless you provide other source different from that book (because its statements are quite laughable and not proven!) I will continue to accept your agruments as a complete nonsense Ok?

Btw after Russo-turkish war Bulgarian population was less than 3 million. And the liberated land was proven to be mainly inhabited by Bulgarians. So according to your "interesting" sources Turks were more than 3 million? How could this happen?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you provide other source different from that book (because its statements are quite laughable and not proven!) I will continue to accept your agruments as a complete nonsense Ok?
    Says Ms. Wikipedia :rolleyes:

What's wrong?

Btw after Russo-turkish war Bulgarian population was less than 3 million. And the liberated land was proven to be mainly inhabited by Bulgarians. So according to your "interesting" sources Turks were more than 3 million? How could this happen?
    How did you come to this conclusion?

ReputationRep:
    He provided you with a credible source. You can search for the book on Amamzon if you want to.

You on the other hand use Wikipedia as your source which is not very credible.

What is your source for this.....

ReputationRep:
    Her maths is off, by a long shot.

Along with her facts and conception of what is humane

ReputationRep:
    Her maths is off, by a long shot.
    Well , my knowledge of my native country's history is not questionable.
    I can provide you links with academic info , not just a silly book.

Ok 212k + 512 k + 1 million army (according to your "source" ) + about 1 million (55%) = roughly 3 million

However I'm not going to argue about part of my history. 1 book is not a good source ! The author could be biased

I'm completely against Turkey to join EU.
    100 years ago they were nothing but fanatical monsters. That's my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Well , my knowledge of my native country's history is not questionable.
    well....actually it is..

I can provide you links with academic info , not just a silly book.
    :lolwut: Lolwut, so basically you have no other sources except for wikipedia?

However I'm not going to argue about part of my history. 1 book is not a good source ! The author could be biased
    I think a well respected author has less chance of being biased than you, an obnoxious teen.

I'm completely against Turkey to join EU.
    100 years ago they were nothing but fanatical monsters. That's my opinion
    Thankfully your opinion doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    100 years ago they were nothing but fanatical monsters.
    Why should the modern Turkish Republic be denied membership of the Euroopean Union for the behaviour its rulers a century ago?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    The Zionists on this forum should stop asking people why they're not discussing Sudan, and instead ask why people are not discussing the oppression of the Kurds in Turkey.
    We should also discuss the oppression of Kurds* in Iran, yes?

* and women, gays, religious minorities and etc.

ReputationRep:
    Does Iran want to join the EU?
    No, it does not.

BTW Kurds are not oppressed at all.
    http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/as...0882008eng.pdf

ReputationRep:
    On point 1, Cyprus is entirely outside of Europe geographically speaking. Any anyway since when did Europe's border extend to South America? Because the EU does actually extend that far due to parts of France that are outside Europe.

On point 3, the countries within Europe have fought each other on various occasions. We could say the same about the Germans.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.