Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi all.

I have a question about the way women view certain scars on a man's body.

A few years ago, whilst going through a bit of a hard time and trying to establish myself as an adult, I - under the influence of alcohol - took a razor blade to my upper right arm. The scars that formed as a result are clearly visibly as an act of 'self-harm'.

Have grown up considerably since then, I now look at the scars and wish that I hadn't done it. Nevertheless, the scars remain.

Every new partner I'm with presents a struggle in that I must explain - with quite a sense of embarassment - how the scars came to be there. I have lied once or twice, but always feel guilty, and know that the girl has not been convinced. I worry that, one day, I'll meet my perfect woman and she'll be put off by the marks on my arm.

Am I worrying needlessly, or do I have genuine cause for concern?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    They will understand as long as you explain it fully, you have grown up so have the people around you so they will not judge you for having them. Especially if they are going out with you at the time, best not to lie about where they are from i would say.

Have you tryed bio-oil to try and bring them down abit, it works for alot of other people, as the memory of them there constantly cant be nice.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them what you've put here- it sounds fine to me! If they are put off because of that in the past then they're not worth bothering with

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't care about how you got them, I'd rather you could be truthful with me

ReputationRep:
    Don't lie about them - If this girl is put off by them then she's not the right girl for you
    I have a friend and he cut himself (I didn't know about it) but saw his scars and he just explained to me that he's over that part of his life so after that I never paid any attention to them - which is what he would have wanted I'm sure
    So don't worry about them

I often worry about the same thing, (I'm female) and have gone through self harm, and especially as the scars are on my legs and chest and stomach area, it does worry me a lot.
    As others have said, just tell the truth, explain what happened, and they should understand. If they judge you for it, then they're not worth your time.
    Bio-oil is supposed to be really good, should notice a difference after a few months.
    Take care
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all.

I have a question about the way women view certain scars on a man's body.

A few years ago, whilst going through a bit of a hard time and trying to establish myself as an adult, I - under the influence of alcohol - took a razor blade to my upper right arm. The scars that formed as a result are clearly visibly as an act of 'self-harm'.

Have grown up considerably since then, I now look at the scars and wish that I hadn't done it. Nevertheless, the scars remain.

Every new partner I'm with presents a struggle in that I must explain - with quite a sense of embarassment - how the scars came to be there. I have lied once or twice, but always feel guilty, and know that the girl has not been convinced. I worry that, one day, I'll meet my perfect woman and she'll be put off by the marks on my arm.

Am I worrying needlessly, or do I have genuine cause for concern?

Many thanks
    It's likely they'll fade eventually.
    Get some scar serum to speed it up too.

ReputationRep:
    It really wouldn't bother me, what would upset me is if you lied, so just be honest. Bio-oil is supposed to help.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell the truth. If it puts people off then maybe they arent right to be with. Also try bio oil or anything with vitamin e on your scars.

Thanks for your replies, what you've said is very reassuring.

X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for your replies, what you've said is very reassuring.

X
    Good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    I think if your honest with the people you meet then they wont feel the need to be scared or anythiong by them. And if you make it clear youve grown up and realise this isnt the way to go about things they will understand and see that it was a rough time for you and it was a stupid mistake that you regret so if they can learn to not dwell on it maybe you can too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.