Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If Michael Jackson was at peak performance level Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, my friends and I were discussing this the other day and I wouldn't mind hearing other peoples opinions on it.

Do you think that MJ would have been as popular and famous as he did become if he was born in the 80's and had his Thriller album come out now? This is considering the world of music right now.

Im a very big MJ fan but I honestly dont think he would have become the mega superstar that he became if it was during this time. The 80's music was a lot of Wham, ABBA and all that, so I feel thats why he was so famous, because his music was on a whole new level.

But now, wouldnt it sound rather similar to artists like chris brown, usher and people like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    If Michael Jackson was at peak performance level
    were*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    Hey, my friends and I were discussing this the other day and I wouldn't mind hearing other peoples opinions on it.

Do you think that MJ would have been as popular and famous as he did become if he was born in the 80's and had his Thriller album come out now? This is considering the world of music right now.

Im a very big MJ fan but I honestly dont think he would have become the mega superstar that he became if it was during this time. The 80's music was a lot of Wham, ABBA and all that, so I feel thats why he was so famous, because his music was on a whole new level.

But now, wouldnt it sound rather similar to artists like chris brown, usher and people like that?
    Usher wouldn't have been able to imitate his style in the first place.
    I'd have to say this whole question is pretty flawed. MJ would have grown up in a different era and likely had a different style of music anyway. You can't just cut someone from one era and paste them into another, the context is very different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    were*
    It's actually WAS, as Michael Jackson is a singular. You only use "they were" when you're talking about a plural, for example "The TSR grammar society were disgusted by your post".

Unless your post was some attempt at a joke, which I doubt, you are (in reference to your sig) the epic fail.

ReputationRep:
    i think it would have worked because there wouldnt have been the rejects like justin timberlake, chris brown, boys 2 men, usher, flo-rida, beyonce, mariah carey, rihanna, p diddy, kanye west, JLS had there not been a michael jackson, today. it makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    It's actually WAS, as Michael Jackson is a singular. You only use "they were" when you're talking about a plural, for example "The TSR grammar society were disgusted by your post".

Unless your post was some attempt at a joke, which I doubt, you are (in reference to your sig) the epic fail.
    It's called the subjunctive, you retard...

ReputationRep:
    MJ wouldnt have become the legend tht he is now had he not died so abruptly.

ReputationRep:
    ... how many more kids could he have ****ed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thriller)
    i think it would have worked because there wouldnt have been the rejects like justin timberlake, chris brown, boys 2 men, usher, flo-rida, beyonce, mariah carey, rihanna, p diddy, kanye west, JLS had there not been a michael jackson, today. it makes sense.
    True, the music world would have been a better place without the artists mentioned above :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sver)
    MJ wouldnt have become the legend tht he is now had he not died so abruptly.
    I don't think anyone can ever top thriller today though

(Original post by bk123345)
    True, the music world would have been a better place without the artists mentioned above :p:
    i know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)

Subjunctive mood.

Epic fail.

In all fairness, 'If Michael Jackson was..' isn't wrong as such, but 'were' is preferable. What is wrong, however, is your grammar lesson. Amusingly.

ReputationRep:
    Good he's dead.

Thats the past anyway so f off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arctic_wombaT)
    ... how many more kids could he have ****ed?
    when did he do that :confused: lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Subjunctive mood.

Epic fail.

In all fairness, 'If Michael Jackson was..' isn't wrong as such, but 'were' is preferable. What is wrong, however, is your grammar lesson. Amusingly.
    Thanks for the back up ;]

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the back up ;]
    She didn't exactly back you up...

The subjunctive is rarely seen as necessary anymore, especially in this context (an informal student forum), so your correction was nothing more than showboating and an epic display of pedantry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wenzel)
    She didn't exactly back you up...

The subjunctive is rarely seen as necessary anymore, especially in this context (an informal student forum), so your correction was nothing more than showboating and an epic display of pedantry.
    So what if I'm a pedant?
    The subjunctive should be used

ReputationRep:
    were*
    That doesn't even make sense... 'was' was correct.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, only on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pickford)
    That doesn't even make sense... 'was' was correct.
    Do you know how to ******* read?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how to ******* read?
    yeah

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.