Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi ... i want to do medicine due to family reasons and i dont do biology I will be taking it in my A2 year as an AS and was wondering if anyone got into the best medical colleges while doing bio AS at A2 or without Bio at all ?

ReputationRep:
    In America maybe and thats by way of bribing, here in a reputable medical school? Not a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    Hi ... i want to do medicine due to family reasons

If you're going to do it, do it because it's what you want-not because of your family

And there are no 'best' medical schools, they just use different teaching styles-if you do apply, apply to universities with teaching styles that suit you

ReputationRep:
    Hi ... i want to do medicine due to family reasons and i dont do biology I will be taking it in my A2 year as an AS and was wondering if anyone got into the best medical colleges while doing bio AS at A2 or without Bio at all ?
    Firstly, I've heard from many people that there are no such things as a bad medical school in the UK anyway
    And secondly, I saw someone's profile on TSR who took biology for A2 only and got into Oxford for Medicine so yes it is possible
    I've heard that they may ask why you chose to drop it
    But overall you should be ok
    Just don't apply to unis where they ask for the whole a level
    hope that helps somewhat
    edit: i agree with someone above, do it because you want to do it, not because your family want you to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoSuis)
    If you're going to do it, do it because it's what you want-not because of your family

And there are no 'best' medical schools, they just use different teaching styles-if you do apply, apply to universities with teaching styles that suit you
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Jonnyofengland only has Biology to AS, and I seem to remember reading somewhere about him having gotten it in his A2 year, and he got into Oxford, Imperial etc.

ReputationRep:

mate im doing it not because my family are forcing me its because my uncle died last month and it got me thinking about medicine ... my family think medicine is **** and rather me go to finance !

ReputationRep:
    mate im doing it not because my family are forcing me its because my uncle died last month and it got me thinking about medicine ... my family think medicine is **** and rather me go to finance !
    Sorry man:p: Your post made it seem the other way around:o:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry man:p: Your post made it seem the other way around:o:
    its kool dont worry man ... hopefully i might get a place at unis like Kings , Manchester , Birmingham if i do Biology AS

I'd say at this stage just focus on the A2 exams you are already doing - there's lots of places that don't require biology at AS or A2. List is here. I've no idea which places you consider to be prestigious but the list should give you an idea of who wants what.

Manchester don't require AS or A2 biology.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements
    This link contains a table showing which medical schools require biology and to what level. You can apply with it to AS or not at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements
    This link contains a table showing which medical schools require biology and to what level. You can apply with it to AS or not at all.
    Thank you .. however i already looked at it .. i was wondering if there is a chance of me getting a place for 2010 if i do As bio in my A2 year ... and if anyone got into a medical college while doing bio at AS in their A2 year ...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you .. however i already looked at it .. i was wondering if there is a chance of me getting a place for 2010 if i do As bio in my A2 year ... and if anyone got into a medical college while doing bio at AS in their A2 year ...
    In which case, you've already had the answer. Yes it is possible to get into medical school with bio AS taken in A2 year or without bio. As for your chances, grades and subjects are only a small part but provided you meet the requirements, the box is ticked and the rest of the application is looked at.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you have taken Chemistry to A2, there are only a few schools that require Biology to A2 level.
    These schools which you should avoid are:
    - East Anglia
    - Hull York
    - Liverpool
    - Nottingham

If you haven't got Chemistry to A2 then that would eliminate you from a few others.

See this website for a full rundown of what each medical school asks for:
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sver)
    In America maybe and thats by way of bribing, here in a reputable medical school? Not a chance
    Damn. Why couldn't you have told me that 9 months ago? :sad:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You can. If you are given an interview they may ask why you did not d it, so make sure you have an answer.

ReputationRep:
    I got offers for med school with no biology and had an oxford interview where they weren't all that interested that I hadnt done bio - honestly it deosnt matter..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    I got offers for med school with no biology and had an oxford interview where they weren't all that interested that I hadnt done bio - honestly it deosnt matter..
    dude i sent you a PM could you check it out please !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You can. If you are given an interview they may ask why you did not d it, so make sure you have an answer.
    I was expecting this, but not a single place asked me about it. I did get one interview where I was asked what Advancing Physics was though, and had to try and justify and explain what is to all intents and purposes the worst course ever to grace the face of the earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Jonnyofengland only has Biology to AS, and I seem to remember reading somewhere about him having gotten it in his A2 year, and he got into Oxford, Imperial etc.
    You'd be bang on sir. :yy:

I only need to it a B for two of my offers, and I can fail it for all that Oxford and Newcastle care.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.