Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    *What's the city like to live in:
    *costs of living
    *what accomodation is like
    *what the people are like
    *If you're doing Maths, what's the Maths course like:
    *How are the lecturers?
    *Do you think the style of teaching is good?
    *Do you have many supervisions/small group work sessions, and if so, what are they like? What do you do in them?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

* City is beautiful and compact but not great if you're into superclubs
    * dunno (don't live in "student" accommodation)
    * dunno (ditto)
    * We're all lovely ) We're smaller than, say, Warwick (another out-of-town campus), which may be a good thing in your eyes.
    * Maths course is very good, and the uni as a whole always gets good ratings for teaching.
    * Lecturers are lecturers - same as anywhere! Although the smaller size means they might have a hope of getting to know you a bit.
    * See above
    * We have small ish seminars (approx 16 per group), one per module per week. Starting this year, we're going to have small (as in <10) groups for some subjects. What they are like depends on which subject and who runs them - I try to make them informal with lots of participation, getting the students writing on the blackboard etc. We go through problem sheets set by the lecturer, and answer any other questions the students have.

hth

Sue.

ReputationRep:
    • Bath is a really lovely city, as anyone will tell you. It's small for a city but well-equipped with shops and facilities. It looks nice and feels safe. Downside to the out-of-town campus is that it's out-of-town, so you'll spend quite a lot of time on the bus, especially after the first year. People say the nightlife is not great, but there are a range of smallish clubs. It just depends what you're used to and how hard you like to party.
    • Bath seemed expensive to me, having previously lived in South Wales and later Gloucester. However, it's not as bad as other places I've lived, such as Kent.
    • There is a variety of accommodation both uni-run and private sector. Uni-run accommodation ranges from the rather dated to the ultra-modern, with prices to match. Private sector accommodation varies from near-slums to nice newly done-out houses. That's a case of shopping around when the time comes, because there are both really good and really bad deals on offer.
    • I've never been to another university to compare, but Bath people seem nice in general. There's not an excess of snobbery, and they sometimes say good morning to strangers. Town people are pretty good too. There are fewer chavs than you'd expect in a town this size.
    • I'm not doing Maths, so I can't comment on the course.

(Original post by SueD)
    * We're all lovely ) We're smaller than, say, Warwick
    "Bath students are among the smallest in the UK. They often struggle to reach things on high shelves and easily get lost in crowds, especially among students from universities such as Manchester."

Sorry, the image made me giggle. :p:

ReputationRep:
    That last comment gave me a wee chuckle lol :yep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to pay for the buses into town??

ReputationRep:
    yeah, you can get year passes though. cant remember how much

ReputationRep:
    There are two bus services into town: The Bright Orange Bus and UniConnect (AKA the Blue Bus).

When you're living on campus, it's not worth getting a season ticket, but ten-journey passes are pretty good value.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jbeacom600)
    (Original post by jbeacom600)
    It gave you two wee chuckles lol :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.