Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I think I'm an adaptable enough person that I can cope with PBL and traditional courses. Having looked at all the different types of courses I really like the look of all of them and I don't think there is any that I would do better at or struggle particuarly with.

This being said I would really like to apply to a complete mixture of med schools, from PBL to intergrated to traditional.

If I apply to Glasgow (PBL), and St Andrews (traditional), there is obviously a conflict there. Are they going to find out? I've heard horror stories of students being asked at interviews? It could be quite awkward. Obviously when I'm asked "why did you apply here" one of the reasons would be that I liked the course structure (TRUE, I just like the course structure of both!) but if they then see I've applied somewhere completely different...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Basically I think I'm an adaptable enough person that I can cope with PBL and traditional courses. Having looked at all the different types of courses I really like the look of all of them and I don't think there is any that I would do better at or struggle particuarly with.

This being said I would really like to apply to a complete mixture of med schools, from PBL to intergrated to traditional.

If I apply to Glasgow (PBL), and St Andrews (traditional), there is obviously a conflict there. Are they going to find out? I've heard horror stories of students being asked at interviews? It could be quite awkward. Obviously when I'm asked "why did you apply here" one of the reasons would be that I liked the course structure (TRUE, I just like the course structure of both!) but if they then see I've applied somewhere completely different...?
    They can not find out where you've applied. The form they get from UCAS will show them something like this:
    1. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    2. Medicine at Glasgow
    3. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    4. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So in theory they could try to work out where else you've applied based on the position they are (as your options are arranged alphabetically) but realistically that wouldn't be worth doing.

When I applied, I was told they weren't allowed to ask you where else you'd applied to and you could just say I'd rather not answer if they brought it up at interview. Or you could answer them and explain how you like both styles of course.

ReputationRep:
    From what my tutor said, they don't find out any of your other choices until you've set firm/insurance/decline options.

ReputationRep:
    They can't find out and you don't have to tell them.

ReputationRep:
    BUT... Say you applied to Medicine at Manchester and then Pharmacy at Manchester as your 5th 'back-up' choice... then they'd know you applied for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepe Le Poosh)
    BUT... Say you applied to Medicine at Manchester and then Pharmacy at Manchester as your 5th 'back-up' choice... then they'd know you applied for that.
    Thanks but that wasn't the question

ReputationRep:
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    My personal experience has nothing to do with medicine, but when I went in for an interview at Imperial last February, my interviewer asked me as he was walking me back to the common room "so, did you apply to any other universities?". Obviously I could have said it wasn't any of his business (well maybe not quite so abruptly but you know what I mean!), but I just said I'd also applied to another London university just to have something to fall back on in case I didn't get an offer from Imperial.

I guess what he really wanted to know was whether I'd applied to Oxbridge (the only two unis higher up in the league tables than Imperial), so when I said it was a London uni he seemed very reassured. On the other hand I had a right to decline to answer or to make up something, so it's up to you really, they shouldn't be allowed to ask in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    They asked me :p:

I just answered... nothing to hide anyway.

I was never asked at interview where else I had applied to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    They asked me :p:

I just answered... nothing to hide anyway.
    They asked you? At what Uni?

But I do have something to hide

Maybe if they ask I'll just say I feel I am very adaptable and have gone for the specific course structures I like rather than a general style of teaching? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    they asked my mate who was interviewed for neuroscience at nottingham what other unis she applied to, it was her back up for med.

she told them because she felt that she may not get in if she didnt so felt obliged to tell him.

and then asked her why she didnt apply there for medicine.

some how she still got in for that course, but they gave her a hard time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)

Maybe if they ask I'll just say I feel I am very adaptable and have gone for the specific course structures I like rather than a general style of teaching? :confused:
    They don't normlly ask and they shouldn't ask. They only asked me after I explained a bit of my PS. I think they were quite surprised how much detail I went into. And the question was meant as a clarification of whether I'd applied to Oxbridge (Oxford? Cambridge?), I just replied Imperial. Didn't lie because there was no question, didn't tell the truth either :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)

Well, why did you apply to those universities? You said you don't mind the style of teaching so presumably you chose those med schools for reasons other than the teaching.

Are you Scottish? - it makes sense for you to apply to Scottish unis because of lower fees. Do you just like the look of the location or the campuses? Your choice of med school doesn't have to merely reflect the course.

This is highly hypothetical - they probably won't ask and if they do just say you've been advised not to say anything.

ReputationRep:
    they dont know what other unis you applied to, unless they ask you at interview.
    although, i belive they do know if they are 1st / 2nd choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_woozle)
    they dont know what other unis you applied to, unless they ask you at interview.
    although, i belive they do know if they are 1st / 2nd choice
    I think the choices are arranged alphabetically, so they couldn't tell if they are 1st/2nd choice.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its anything the selectors have a right to ask to be honest. As a candidate, this is one of the few bits of power you have, to make choices and be judged on your own merits independently and I genuinely think its a bit off for people to pick you apart for the other places you've applied to, especially as there are specific rules set up to stop this happening.

As far as non-medical "Back-up" courses go, that's a slightly different game. In a UCL interview for Molecular Cell Biology, the tutor wanted to know if I understood the course and whether I would be committed to it if he let me in or whether I'd be holding out for medicine. This to me seemed fair because, aside for the benefit to him of not wasting an offer, it was to my benefit not to be strapped into a course I didn't really want.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I have a similar question. I've applied to 4 Scottish uni's for medicine, and i've got interveiws 2.
    But I've been in contact through emails with a guy who works at the admissions department of one of the uni's that I have not heard back from yet.
    I've met the guy before through school and he seems freindly enough, and he's even offered me the chance to do a mock interveiw with some medical students. However, he's asked me directly where else I have applied, and where I have interveiws and I don't know what to say back.
    The four uni's I've applied to also have totally different course structures, so I am very worried that telling him where I have applied will jepardise any opportunities from that university. Should I tell him, because from what I've seen of him, I don't think he has any direct part in deciding who gets a place or not. Or should I be cautious and not tell him incase he then tells the admissions board how well I am getting along with the other uni's and decide to not offer me a place?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    They do not know where else you applied directly from UCAS. (Although they may know where else through other sources)

They do know the order in which you picked them. And it's not alphabetical like it appeared on UCAS Apply. For example, if you added Cambridge third then they know that you added that course choice after picking two other choices. Of course the order you added your choices on Apply may not reflect your order of preference - but how to the universities know or not know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmnbmn101)
    they do not know where else you applied directly from ucas. (although they may know where else through other sources)

they do know the order in which you picked them. And it's not alphabetical like it appeared on ucas apply. For example, if you added cambridge third then they know that you added that course choice after picking two other choices. Of course the order you added your choices on apply may not reflect your order of preference - but how to the universities know or not know that.
    ok thanks.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2011
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.