Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am keen on studying politics with economics at Edinburugh and the offer is BBB. However are students still rejected from the course with grades that are higher, as Edinburugh seems a very top university, so BBB seems very average. Also as my GCSE grades are not the strongest, will that hinder my chances in anyway, even if my a-levels are AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger Fed)
    I am keen on studying politics with economics at Edinburugh and the offer is BBB. However are students still rejected from the course with grades that are higher, as Edinburugh seems a very top university, so BBB seems very average.
    i)Read TAELT 2010 and check out the three H (Holistic) links from the Edinburgh entry.
    ii)Check out the posts on Edinburgh in the Scottish uni forums on TSR

But yes Edinburgh make low offers
    and yes most of their offers are to either really high academic record applicants or to 'special' applicants.

Also as my GCSE grades are not the strongest, will that hinder my chances in anyway, even if my a-levels are AAB
    Yes average GCSE grades are an issue.
    But A-level grades are irrelevant in terms of getting offers. It is predicted A-level and actual AS grades that count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    But A-level grades are irrelevant in terms of getting offers. It is predicted A-level and actual AS grades that count.
    Unless they apply during their gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Unless they apply during their gap year.
    True.
    But lots of people say it even when they are applying before they have sat their A2 exams.

ReputationRep:
    I am keen on studying politics with economics at Edinburugh and the offer is BBB. However are students still rejected from the course with grades that are higher, as Edinburugh seems a very top university, so BBB seems very average. Also as my GCSE grades are not the strongest, will that hinder my chances in anyway, even if my a-levels are AAB

I wondered the same thing this time last year. I applied to go this year (but to study straight Economics) with AAA predicted and got rejected. So to answer your question, yes students are rejected from the course with grades that are higher than BBB.
    However don't let that put you off applying if you should achieve BBB or higher...as far as I am aware, Edinburgh more so than other unis take a lot of different factors into account and you may find you're exactly what they're looking for. I, evidently, wasn't! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    i)Read TAELT 2010 and check out the three H (Holistic) links from the Edinburgh entry.
    ii)Check out the posts on Edinburgh in the Scottish uni forums on TSR

But yes Edinburgh make low offers
    and yes most of their offers are to either really high academic record applicants or to 'special' applicants.

Yes average GCSE grades are an issue.
    I am now keen on reading economic history at Edinburugh.
    Do you have any knowledge on the subject, and any specific units you can take in relation to economics as well as studying the history of economics?

Finally, as i am from london, many people have told me Edinburugh favour scottish applicants, allowing less than 25% english applicants offers. Therefore, as i am from a rough state school in London, which is in special measures by Ofstead, how are my chances of being offerd a place next year, as my AS results were average, accc, hopefuly aab with re-sits!

ReputationRep:
    I am now keen on reading economic history at Edinburugh.
    Do you have any knowledge on the subject, and any specific units you can take in relation to economics as well as studying the history of economics?

Finally, as i am from london, many people have told me Edinburugh favour scottish applicants, allowing less than 25% english applicants offers. Therefore, as i am from a rough state school in London, which is in special measures by Ofstead, how are my chances of being offerd a place next year, as my AS results were average, accc, hopefuly aab with re-sits!
    Ask Edinburgh!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Paulwhy]Ask Edinburgh!

The website has no information for the course on economic history, so please could you just answer my original question
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The website has no information for the course on economic history, so please could you just answer my original question
    http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/09-10/

Do a bit of research first. :p:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Roger Fed]
    Ask Edinburgh!

Asking means asking (e.g. email, phone), not just reading.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Paulwhy]
    Asking means asking (e.g. email, phone), not just reading.
    Well someone gave me the relevant information, so stop wasting your time on a teenagers chatroom and get on with your academic life

ReputationRep:

Well someone gave me the relevant information, so stop wasting your time on a teenagers chatroom and get on with your academic life
    What?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.