Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PS3 Help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My PS3 has just stopped working. I was playing it for about 20 minutes then it froze and turned itself off. Now whenever I put it on, it turns itself off. The light goes from green to yellow/orange and then to flashing red.

I called up Sony and they said I must pay £145 for another unit as mine has passed its one year warranty. Am I allone in feeling this is out of order as I am paying foe Sony's fault.

I take care of my PS3, ensure it is well ventilated and dusted regularly. I feel the PS3 couldn't have over heated yet I am told the cause of my probles is likely due ti a component melting inside the system.

I'm not sure what to do as I have loads of songs and videos (7-8 GB worth) that I could lose, plus I haven't got £145.

ReputationRep:
    Sucks that it only came with a 1-year warranty, so much for future-proof :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KennyS1)
    My PS3 has just stopped working. I was playing it for about 20 minutes then it froze and turned itself off. Now whenever I put it on, it turns itself off. The light goes from green to yellow/orange and then to flashing red.

I called up Sony and they said I must pay £145 for another unit as mine has passed its one year warranty. Am I allone in feeling this is out of order as I am paying foe Sony's fault.

I take care of my PS3, ensure it is well ventilated and dusted regularly. I feel the PS3 couldn't have over heated yet I am told the cause of my probles is likely due ti a component melting inside the system.

I'm not sure what to do as I have loads of songs and videos (7-8 GB worth) that I could lose, plus I haven't got £145.
    If you're particularly worried about the songs/videos on the PS3, you can remove the hard drive (I've not done it myself, but this is the top result from Google, which explains the process). You could then get a cradle to connect this to a PC (probably via USB) and retrieve the data that way. Maybe not a huge consolation, but it's something at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    If you're particularly worried about the songs/videos on the PS3, you can remove the hard drive (I've not done it myself, but this is the top result from Google, which explains the process). You could then get a cradle to connect this to a PC (probably via USB) and retrieve the data that way. Maybe not a huge consolation, but it's something at least
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I had exactly the same problem a few months ago, try to clean the power on button (you know the one in front, nxt to the eject button) with a kleenex paper very thoroughly. My theory is that there is some short circuit going on on that button and it keeps switching off your ps3 every time you switch it on.

After cleaning the button thoroughly the problem disappeared.

Hope it helps. Beats having to pay 145 pounds.

edit sorry mine didn't go to flashing yellow. Well try it out anyway, doesn't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    i had this same problem and sent it off to a company called "fix my console" who fixed the console for about £80.
    here's the link www.fixmyconsole.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    The exact same thing happend to my friend, there was a yellow light, he found someone on ebay, who he paid 30ish quid, the guy came over gave him the exact model ps3 and took the broken one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zafaru123)
    The exact same thing happend to my friend, there was a yellow light, he found someone on ebay, who he paid 30ish quid, the guy came over gave him the exact model ps3 and took the broken one.
    mine has my FIFA 09 disc in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobweb1989)
    i had this same problem and sent it off to a company called "fix my console" who fixed the console for about £80.
    here's the link www.fixmyconsole.co.uk
    I can't get on the site, it says that the domain name has just been registered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KennyS1)
    I can't get on the site, it says that the domain name has just been registered.
    sorry but If I click the link it takes me to their site. try and google the URL...:confused:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.