Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A levels at a 6th form or The Creative and media Diploma at a College?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it really hard to make this decision. I started college back in September to do A levels but wasn't getting on there to decided to start again. I have applied and been accepted to do the creative and media advanced diploma but am starting to have second thoughts as I don't know if this will limit me significantly in what I can do (I know A levels are prefered by uni's). The diploma is new so it is prooving difficult to find people with experience in it, even the college seem confused about the course!

I am very creative and love writing and photography so I know the course would suit me. I plan to go to LCC to study journalism.

Do you think I should do A levels to keep my options open or follow my heart and to something creative?

ReputationRep:
    Do whatever you really want to do.

ReputationRep:
    i would say a levels, keep your options open, you could still do a levels in say, media studies, english, and photography. i think universities will think that it is better. but im no expert and if you reeeally want to do the diploma maybe you should do what you reeeally want. its up to you ad what you think is best really!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do journalism you should be taking A level English, alongside a more traditional program.

It's a bit of a blanket statement to say 'unis prefer A levels' - which uni's? which courses?

The diploma is for people who want to go into media production - and having a good portfolio will help more than what A' level subjects you take. If you're not sure that you want to go into a creative and media industry then you're on the wrong course - because there a lot of people who are very determined and do know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.