Turn on thread page Beta

What's your sport and why? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manx1991)
    Wow, when my boyfriend was 16 he did 2.01.01, within a year he's 1.55 so it is possible- then again his life is me and training really so guess it is commitment.
    Yeah my training partner is 1:56, 3:54 and 8:25 and he's five months younger than me. He's always been a class above though. I've got another mate who's 15, done 2:02 and 4:09, two years before I set times anything like that.

I so want to get back to track speed it's unbelievable. But I've lost my level four coach to the law, so I'm pining for the cross country season. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    Got pushed into them as a kid, and glad I was. I haven't owned a TV (nor watched a complete TV show) for... I'd say about 5/6 years. I'm also not a fan of playing computer games (I was brought up where it was the geeks who say in playing computer games, and I was busy down the racquet club, or wherever).

Variety: I'll try any sport (OK, most), and those are the ones which I've been particularly keen on once giving them a go. Tennis and skiing/ snowboarding are my favourites without doubt; truly exceptional ways of spending ones time.

:top:
    Good on you! I've cut down my tv veiwing by hours (only watch about three programmes a week) since I started exercising and sixth form, and I've definiately noticed the difference.

Least you weren't bribed with 'a television set or a puppy'? haha, like I heard some children were on This Morning

ReputationRep:
    Football and judo are my two main ones, but I ski a bit too. I would really love to start playing rugby when I get to uni though. Unfortunately I haven't done much sport of any sort recently because of ligament damage.

ReputationRep:
    Spin...on the bikes in the gym... No, seriously, I have to do a sport for dofe and I'm not in any sports teams (more of a musical person lol) and so I chose spin. It's not too bad but the exercise music is sooooooooo chavy

ReputationRep:
    Paintball, mountain biking, badminton, cross-country, rugby, indoor football, hockey, tennis.

Main sports are paintball (play at an international level... I play for one of the top 100 teams in Europe out of 10,000 or so) and badminton which I'm aiming for county this season.

But I play everything or did... ex golf, football, cricket, athletics, swimming, table tennis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_5)
    Spin...on the bikes in the gym... No, seriously, I have to do a sport for dofe and I'm not in any sports teams (more of a musical person lol) and so I chose spin. It's not too bad but the exercise music is sooooooooo chavy
    Go out road cycling instead! It's far more exciting. And it gives you an excuse to wear lycra.

Is it just me who considers that a positive? Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Go out road cycling instead! It's far more exciting. And it gives you an excuse to wear lycra.

Is it just me who considers that a positive? Maybe.
    Me+Lycra on a public road = many many car crashes as people try to make a desperate U-turn lmao...

ReputationRep:
    Swimming and running. Because it FUN! And it's cheap/free.

ReputationRep:
    I did martial arts for 12 years when I was younger, gave it up due to injuries and a dodgy timetable in college. I run now, hoping to run the Dublin Marathon in October this year. I do it because it's cheap, it makes me feel good and it de-stresses me.

ReputationRep:
    Pie eating

Washing my car in small demin shorts for "Powerbears.com"

Most amount of cheese consumed within one hour.

Awesome sports

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    Rhythmic gymnastics. Don't particularly know why, it's just one of the very few sports I've ever enjoyed playing. I'm going to miss my club when I'm away to uni.

I want to try something like snowboarding at some point. Knowing me I'll probably be awful but it looks great
    Oh wow, is that different from urban gymnastics (sorry, someone invited me to join a club and he said it was different from the 'good presentation' gymnastics). But snowboarding sounds really fun, think I'd be more of a skier, kind of scary not being able to move my feet seperately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    Football, because it's immense, and I have started running, ran the London 10K two weeks back.

Fancy delving into a bit of Tennis, Rugby and MMA or perhaps Muay Thai and maybe Cricket, although I can imagine the ribbing I would get if I went to play cricket with near county mates!

Also fancy badminton, been a footballer most of the time, and really want to expand on that, gold is going to have to be taken up soon!!
    Yer, I'd definately agree, variety is useful. My problem was that I tried so many sports when I was younger that when I wanted to start one recently, I kept saying I didn't want to do the different options because I'd already tried it or something similar- and I'm generally rather stubborn lol.

How'd your 10k go? I was supposed to do 5k for Race for Life (with zero training outside) but got lost on the way so missed it. The next week I attempted to run outside and last the whole of two minutes so realised my whole 'run the whole way' idea wouldn't've happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedKitty)
    Fencing. Its awesome
    I used to do fencing, had to stop because there wasn't enough people to fund the hall we were using which sucked, only got as far as the foil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scienta potestas est)
    I play :
    Basketball
    Hockey
    Rounders

but my sport is ULTIMATE FRISBEE !!!

It's all about the team, you can't win it on your own, but you need the speed, the agility and the disc skills to get that point.

Love it !!
    Haha my mate chose her university due to the fact it had ultimate frisbee :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yer, I'd definitely agree, variety is useful. My problem was that I tried so many sports when I was younger that when I wanted to start one recently, I kept saying I didn't want to do the different options because I'd already tried it or something similar- and I'm generally rather stubborn lol.

How'd your 10k go? I was supposed to do 5k for Race for Life (with zero training outside) but got lost on the way so missed it. The next week I attempted to run outside and last the whole of two minutes so realised my whole 'run the whole way' idea wouldn't've happened.
    It went average to be honest! I got food poisoning, so the two hour journey there after waking up at 4AM meant I was a wreck for the race, managed to do it in 46 Minutes, the pro's finished in 30 mins, but on my day I think I could do it in 35 minutes!

I did 3 5k runs a week to train for it, ended up doing one in 17/18 mins

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, is that different from urban gymnastics (sorry, someone invited me to join a club and he said it was different from the 'good presentation' gymnastics). But snowboarding sounds really fun, think I'd be more of a skier, kind of scary not being able to move my feet seperately.
    No, it's where you use apparatus like ribbons and clubs- I do believe it's known as the "Most beautiful olympic event" :p: If you youtube I'm sure you'll find some to get an idea

ReputationRep:
    I will play or watch any sport, but my favorites are Football, Tennis and Motorsport.

Not too keen on Cricket or Rugby.

ReputationRep:
    Ultimate frisbee

(Yeah, it sounds hugely gay, but at a high enough level it's hugely intense. You can't knock it till you've tried it properly. I never get anywhere near as knackered when I play other sports. If you stop moving, your team looses, end of.)

Football all the time too, and pretty much anything else. Phases of tennis/badminton/running

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Pie eating

Washing my car in small demin shorts for "Powerbears.com"

Most amount of cheese consumed within one hour.

Awesome sports
    What's your record?
    I've never tried, so the most I'll have done is like 400g, I suspect you could manage quite a bit?:P:

ReputationRep:
    Used to play football, then really fell out of love with the game when about 12. Ive played cricket since then, but only to a mediocre standard. I did ju-jitsu for a couple of years as a hobby and I got to a fairly decent standard at Badminton, though due to circumstances Ive not played it in a long while and lost my touch. Im in the process of picking up tennis at the moment, hope to play tennis and badders much more at Uni, and then pick up squash and table tennis which ive never really had the chance to play as well.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.