Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cab you change you personality if you really want to? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I used to be this anxious, timid, miserable mess.. and now i'm confident, optimistic and happy.

You've just got to change your attitude and outlook. Fake it til you make it!

ReputationRep:
    You can...but its damn hard to!

ReputationRep:
    u shud ask a psychologist!

ReputationRep:
    who cares what any psychologist says?

Psychology is made up, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can. However do you really want a laidback and carefree personality? I know I wouldnt, but I do think having a strong emotional barrier is a good thing - it shows some confidence.

ReputationRep:
    You can change...not everything, but little things yes.
    One way is through constant effort, watching yourself and rejecting your usual habits and getting used to it. The other is watching others embarrass themselves and act like idiots, think OMFG and automatically change yourself to not be similar to that(this sounds stupid but it's exactly what happened to me this year) Or watch people having fun, and aim for that.And for people who say 'oh but I'm me, that would be fake and acting', half of 'you' is the environment you were brought up in and what your parents taught you to be like, good or bad.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can. Its the summer holidays so its the perfect time to change.
    In Year 8 i decided i didnt want to be shy etc anymore , and over summer i just 'came out of my shell', i went back to school with a different outlook and just tried different things. 5 years later and i cant believe how shy i used to be.
    I ditched the people who were holding me back, and im so glad i did, i now have a job which i would have never been able to do, and im going to Uni over 500miles away from where i live.
    Its hard to change, but if you put your mind to it, you can do it!

Essay over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Why not?

if the OP wants to, who is to say he/she shouldn't? :confused:
    It's something you're born with. Sometimes it isn't expressed to others as much as you'd like through shyness or whatever in which case as I mentioned there are things that can bring it out more, so I suppose it would appear to others that its changed. To actually CHANGE your personality however is unatural and is almost like acting and you will be found out most likely.

(Original post by peaches90)
    Yes you can. Its the summer holidays so its the perfect time to change.
    In Year 8 i decided i didnt want to be shy etc anymore , and over summer i just 'came out of my shell', i went back to school with a different outlook and just tried different things. 5 years later and i cant believe how shy i used to be.
    I ditched the people who were holding me back, and im so glad i did, i now have a job which i would have never been able to do, and im going to Uni over 500miles away from where i live.
    Its hard to change, but if you put your mind to it, you can do it!

Essay over!
    how exactly did u just do it like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anonymous i have friends who use this site.

i am very jealous of the type of people who don't worry about things, are very laid and just really enjoy their life and when people treat them like crap, they have the strength to just say '**** it' and then move on and be happy really quickly.

I'm not any of those things above and i really want to be. Do i just have to accept thats not who i am or can i change if i really want to?
    what are you worried/fretting/stressed about? what makes you worked up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob_dob)
    It's something you're born with. Sometimes it isn't expressed to others as much as you'd like through shyness or whatever in which case as I mentioned there are things that can bring it out more, so I suppose it would appear to others that its changed. To actually CHANGE your personality however is unatural and is almost like acting and you will be found out most likely.
    lol... i think psychologists should give up their pseudo-Zen beliefs. i think a person holds the right to change their personality.

ReputationRep:
    You cab probably, yes

ReputationRep:
    how exactly did u just do it like that?
    Changed my attitude, i started hanging around with people who i felt confident and comfortable with, and who had bags of self confident which in turn kind of forced me to increase my own confidence. Im not saying i instantly changed, but over a few months i just grew up and changed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if it was exactly my personality that changed but I did change my attitudes towards other people in the move to secondary school. In Primary I was shy and therefore I didn't get the greatest respect from everyone. On the move to high school though, I just put my chin up and became more social. I'm still myself, it's just that I've perhaps realised that there was no reason to not be more confident. Needless to say, my time in high school was much more enjoyable than primary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    lol... i think psychologists should give up their pseudo-Zen beliefs. i think a person holds the right to change their personality.
    of course they have the right to try.

ReputationRep:
    do you know why u care what ppl think so much? that seems to be the problem lol not ur personality. you seem uptight lol maybe if ya didnt worry bout this so much and what ppl think, ud be more laidback

ReputationRep:
    TAXI

I don't think anyone will have got me.

ReputationRep:
    Please keep anonymous i have friends who use this site.

i am very jealous of the type of people who don't worry about things, are very laid and just really enjoy their life and when people treat them like crap, they have the strength to just say '**** it' and then move on and be happy really quickly.

I'm not any of those things above and i really want to be. Do i just have to accept thats not who i am or can i change if i really want to?
    if somebody mistreats you, then analyse who it is who is doing so. if it's a stranger, who cares? if it's somebody close to you, then confront it there and then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gibb~)
    TAXI

I don't think anyone will have got me.
    Haha xD

(Original post by Siobherz)
    do you know why u care what ppl think so much? that seems to be the problem lol not ur personality. you seem uptight lol maybe if ya didnt worry bout this so much and what ppl think, ud be more laidback
    I'm afraid people won't like me and i want to be liked.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.