Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I found some scratches on my case (the bottom one, where the keyboard is etc.), thinking about getting a replacement. Obviously I'd have to pay for it - does anyone have any idea how much would it cost me?

I've done a bit of research, some companies appear to sell those for $300, which is roughly the equivalent of £180. Not sure what's the Apple policy on the replacement parts here, though, and I'm afraid they might charge me the equivalent of £300 - for some odd reason Apple does like to have different prices for stuff here and in the US.

Have an appointment with a Genius at Apple Store on Tuesday, but just have been wondering - maybe someone here could help me out with that? :confused:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Best place to look for spare parts is http://www.i-fixit.com or buy a broken MBP off eBay and "steal" the case from it.

I'd guess that a good quality one (ie one that sin't more scratched than the one you're replacing!) is going to be pretty expensive given its kind of the main piece of the laptop and will come with the trackpad and possibly keyboard as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    I found some scratches on my case (the bottom one, where the keyboard is etc.), thinking about getting a replacement. Obviously I'd have to pay for it - does anyone have any idea how much would it cost me?

I've done a bit of research, some companies appear to sell those for $300, which is roughly the equivalent of £180. Not sure what's the Apple policy on the replacement parts here, though, and I'm afraid they might charge me the equivalent of £300 - for some odd reason Apple does like to have different prices for stuff here and in the US.

Have an appointment with a Genius at Apple Store on Tuesday, but just have been wondering - maybe someone here could help me out with that? :confused:

Thanks
    This never ceases to amuse me.

It's not an odd reason at all. In the US, they don't have to contend with the same level of tax burden that we have over here. That's why, aside from the exchange rate, it's cheaper to buy stuff across the pond. That and us Brits seem to be resigned to the fact that we're stuck with eternally getting raped in the wallet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasp)
    I'd guess that a good quality one (ie one that sin't more scratched than the one you're replacing!) is going to be pretty expensive given its kind of the main piece of the laptop and will come with the trackpad and possibly keyboard as well.
    Nah, I'm talking only about the outer casing. It doesn't seem to hold any intestines, and it doesn't seem be that much expensive either - well, at least in the US:

http://www.myservice.com/cases.html

TBH it seems to be even cheaper than I said -

MacBook Pro 17" Unibody Bottom $175

For some odd reason I looked at "MacBook Pro 17" Bottom Case, $295" beforehand. $175 is hardly expensive, I'd even say it's doable with the 1:1 pound equivalent, considering the laptop itself cost me over £2K. But for some reason I can't find any information on UK prices of spare parts, be it official, Apple-released or just authorized resellers/service agents. :confused:

TBH buying a broken Mac won't work, first - I think it's unlikely I will get a broken MacBook less scratched than mine, plus I'd have to deal with it myself then, and it's a pretty new equipment (less than two months now), so I wouldn't like to lose my warranty on it. I'd have lost it were I to unscrew the lid and start taking the guts out, which is a big no-go with Apple and their warranties. :yep:

EDIT: oh noez - it appears I looked wrongly, the one I need seems to be the Top Case - "The top case is the case where the keyboard sits and includes the trackpad, power button and palm rest area". It's $295. Does anyone have any idea how much it might cost here, then? ;-)

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    It's not an odd reason at all. In the US, they don't have to contend with the same level of tax burden that we have over here. That's why, aside from the exchange rate, it's cheaper to buy stuff across the pond. That and us Brits seem to be resigned to the fact that we're stuck with eternally getting raped in the wallet.
    Yea well I remember going with my old iPod to an Apple store several years ago, I think my headphone socket was broken and I asked them about some replacement, and I think the guy mentioned something about spare parts being imported from the US - not sure what was the price on the headphone jack, but if so, maybe there still would be a chance to get it for more or less £200, rather than an extortionate price of £300+? :confused:

Bottom line, the hardware is more expensive here than in the US - but, yeah, maybe the spare parts at least are priced similarly... I hope.

Will find out the day after tomorrow, however if someone knows anything I'd appreciate sharing some information

Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Why not get a palm rest from ebay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Why not get a palm rest from ebay?
    seriously, what?:confused:

what has it got to do with the scratched surface of my outer casing?

I don't understand. :redface:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This.

ReputationRep:
    This.
    First of all, 'cause it's not Unibody... It appears. Or at least not the 2009 model. It's for the old[er] MacBooks, with a trackpad and an external button on it, instead of an internal (hidden- beneath-the-surface-of-a-pressure-sensitive-trackpad) one. :yep:
    Secondly - reasons stated above: I'd have to fiddle with it myself, which would make me lose the warranty. Kinda weird, though - the one you've linked to is hardly £50, the 15 inch ones I found on eBay, for the 15-inch Unibody are £220+.

Oh well, thanks for the input anyway ;-)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    First of all, 'cause it's not Unibody... It appears. Or at least not the 2009 model. It's for the old[er] MacBooks, with a trackpad and an external button on it, instead of an internal (hidden- beneath-the-surface-of-a-pressure-sensitive-trackpad) one. :yep:
    Secondly - reasons stated above: I'd have to fiddle with it myself, which would make me lose the warranty. Kinda weird, though - the one you've linked to is hardly £50, the 15 inch ones I found on eBay, for the 15-inch Unibody are £220+.

Oh well, thanks for the input anyway ;-)
    OK I see... my bad

ReputationRep:
    OK I see... my bad
    Damn, now when I look at it it seems I'll just have to live with it, as it seems that it's gonna cost me more than £300 which is a lot. :mad:

What sucks is that they make these new Unibody MacBooks in a way that effectively disallows any kind of polishing the surface - apparently the casing is sandblasted and the silver paint is anodized - so trying to polish it up with the usual stuff will actually make it look even worse and more noticeable

oh dear, oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    Damn, now when I look at it it seems I'll just have to live with it, as it seems that it's gonna cost me more than £300 which is a lot. :mad:

What sucks is that they make these new Unibody MacBooks in a way that effectively disallows any kind of polishing the surface - apparently the casing is sandblasted and the silver paint is anodized - so trying to polish it up with the usual stuff will actually make it look even worse and more noticeable

oh dear, oh dear...
    Sounds like the old PowerBooks/MacBook Pro's then! They're even worse when the paint began to peel from the case...

£300 doesn't sound too bad for the top case of a unibody 17" MBP. I paid £200 to have the top case (as spikeymike linked to above) replaced on my 15" PowerBook after a trackpad failure, since the trackpad is integral with it and can't be replaced separately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasp)
    £300 doesn't sound too bad for the top case of a unibody 17" MBP. I paid £200 to have the top case (as spikeymike linked to above) replaced on my 15" PowerBook after a trackpad failure, since the trackpad is integral with it and can't be replaced separately.
    Yeah, the mere difference is that your replacement was about functionality, mine - so far, luckily - is more about vain than anything else

But, yeah, if - knocking on the wood - anything would happen that would render my MB Pro unusable, I'd probably have spent the money any day, as my Macbook is the tool I use for working. Right now it's not necessary, as it works - just has a few scratches even though I used to take as much care about my MacBook Pro as possible (maybe that's why it's been almost 2 months before the first noticeable scratches came, instead of 2 days ). And I won't pay this much. Could do with £200 and less, but £300+ - no way on Earth :yep:

ReputationRep:
    They've told me I'm looking at around £150. Doable, however I probably wait a couple of months with it, 2-3 maybe, until I get more scratches on it ;-)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.