Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    I am desperate for some advice on what to do- I got a letter the other day from my local NHS offering me a free cervarix anti-cervical cancer jab, as it is being offered to all girls aged about 15-18. This vaccination sounds really dodgy as no research has been carried out into long-term effects etc. and my mum does not seem to keen on the vaccination programme either.However, the cancer sounds horrible as well. I really don't know what to do. Any help guys?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23 and don't qualify for it on the NHS so I'm seriously considering paying for it privately.
    My mum's had cervical cancer and it's not fun at all. Anything that will lower your risk of cervical cancer is in my experience and opinion, worth doing.

ReputationRep:
    Get the vaccine, don't be silly.

ReputationRep:
    I've had it, was offered it for free by my school. 3 Injections over a period of 6 months, well worth it and they can't just release a vaccination into general circulation without months/years of tests first.

ReputationRep:
    Just get it. It's been tested rigorously, and they wouldn't release it for use unless they were sure it was safe. I'm having my last jab on Thursday, and they're fine.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    GET IT!!!!!! My Friend had german measles last week cos her mum didn't get her the mmr vaccine!

Seriously, get it... I've had mine! (well first two )

ReputationRep:
    I have had it done and its fine ~ No side effects or anything that can cause any future complications....Just go for it and take the precaution -Prevention is better than cure

ReputationRep:
    the meningitus jab was the same when it came out and that turned out ok, then again i dont know anything about the cervical cancer jab, could cause fertility problems when u r older?

ReputationRep:
    I feel insulted that I'm being offered a vaccination against an STD. :haughty:

ReputationRep:
    Get the jab.

i have to go for my last one this week, and i've had no problems yet

...and i'd rather have a silly little side effect, than cervical cancer.

go with a friend if your worried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Just get it. It's been tested rigorously, and they wouldn't release it for use unless they were sure it was safe. I'm having my last jab on Thursday, and they're fine.
    I think it was this vaccine that didn't complete it's phase III trials and that is why it isn't licensed in America yet. I asked about effects vaccines and the nurse told me that people had experienced rashes, headaches and nausea. I nearly passed out half an hour later and was extremely dizzy for three weeks - to the point I couldn't walk in a straight line. They can't be sure that it is completely safe (I know this applies to any vaccine) but it's new - they don't know everything.

ReputationRep:
    I qualify for it, I don't think I'm going for it though.

It's like Swine Flu, my mum is interested in my brother getting the vaccine, he is higher risk, I'm not though.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the replies and giving both sides of the view- my mum is not too keen on it so its nice to get different perspectives. I'm going to have to think about this a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxboroHotTubs:))
    I think it was this vaccine that didn't complete it's phase III trials and that is why it isn't licensed in America yet. I asked about effects vaccines and the nurse told me that people had experienced rashes, headaches and nausea. I nearly passed out half an hour later and was extremely dizzy for three weeks - to the point I couldn't walk in a straight line. They can't be sure that it is completely safe (I know this applies to any vaccine) but it's new - they don't know everything.
    This one IS used in America, but they use a more expensive version most of the time, which also protects from herpes, if I remember correctly.

Every vaccine can have that outcome though. I know I felt really ill after my MMR booster, and that's safe. I've had friends get really ill after the TB jab, and that's safe.

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to get a jab to prevent HPV I'd personally recommend Gardasil over Cervarix (if possible) because Cervarix only prevents HPV types 16 and 18, whereas Gardasil prevents HPV types 6, 11, 16 and 18. 16 and 18 cause 70% of cervical cancer; 6 and 11 cause 90% of genital warts.

IF you're gonna get a jab may as well get two for one!
    I had Gardasil for free at my local GPs cause I missed out on getting it done at school (I turned 18 after finishing at sixth form).However I think if you don't get it done on the NHS it is pretty expensive (around £150 per dose, so £450 altogether).

Unfortunately the government has been a little bit silly imo as making Cervarix the vaccine they now give to 11 and 12 year olds.. but there we go...

ReputationRep:
    i've completed the course.. i'd rather not take the risk to be honest.. i'd say go for it and get it done.. they must have some idea that it'll do some good or they wouldn't have started it in the first place.. i'm lucky as i was on the catch up programme as i was in year 13..

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to my practise nurse about this and latest results show it only last for 8 years, they don;t know the effects in 20 years and that you cant have it redone in 8 years because it has to be done before, during or soon after puberty.

So i said no x

I'm over 18 so not eligible for it on the NHS. Is it worth going private for?

I should also point out that I have had several sexual partners already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates_f)

go with a friend if your worried
    awww- thanks! that is quite a good idea!

ReputationRep:
    I thought the jab was for girls that weren't sexually active yet?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.