Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackey)
    I thought the jab was for girls that weren't sexually active yet?
    I don't think it makes much difference if you're sexually active or not yet. Its just that they've chosen that age group to target with the vaccine.

At the end of the day you dont need to sleep around to actually pick up HPV. You can literally get married and sleep with that one person your whole life, but if they've just slept with one other person you get get it from them and that can cause cervical cancer. And cervical cancer can kill you pretty young, obviously think Jade Goody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    its not fair that it hasnt been offered to older teens. like i was 17 or 18 when they started doing it, but they were gonna start with the 13 year olds first. now i havent even been offered it..it sucks
    Well yeah I completely agree. I'm a bit too old. You can still go to your GP and ask, you never know, they might give you it.

ReputationRep:
    i've had 1/3. get it done, its free and they wouldnt offer it if it was a danger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Yes they don't know the results in 20 years. The results are most likely that there won't be any effect in 20 years and they'll want you to have a booster. Its is seriously unlikely that there are going to be unwanted long term effects of it. Look at all the other vaccines and how vaccines work and then think about it.

I think you're pretty silly not to get the vaccine.
    You may think that, but I don't want the "experts" to discover in 20 years that it makes our next generation infertile.

I'm happy with my decisions and I'm sorry you seem to think I'm stupid.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlmechanik)
    You may think that, but I don't want the "experts" to discover in 20 years that it makes our next generation infertile.

I'm happy with my decisions and I'm sorry you seem to think I'm stupid.

x
    Seriously I can see no scientific or logical reason why this vaccine will make you infertile. Find some evidence...

I don't think you're stupid I just think you're misguided and should really trust that the vaccine is in your best interests. You're obviously lucky enough not to have known anyone die from cervical cancer but it really does happen and is much more likely to happen than you somehow becoming infertile from the vaccine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not getting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Seriously I can see no scientific or logical reason why this vaccine will make you infertile. Find some evidence...

I don't think you're stupid I just think you're misguided and should really trust that the vaccine is in your best interests. You're obviously lucky enough not to have known anyone die from cervical cancer but it really does happen and is much more likely to happen than you somehow becoming infertile from the vaccine.
    do you know what? I'm happy in my decision so go bug some other person who might change their mind, i got bigger crap to worry about right now, like whether my head aches ever gonna go or if i can pull myself out of my depression

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STARRS)
    Hi guys!
    I am desperate for some advice on what to do- I got a letter the other day from my local NHS offering me a free cervarix anti-cervical cancer jab, as it is being offered to all girls aged about 15-18. This vaccination sounds really dodgy as no research has been carried out into long-term effects etc. and my mum does not seem to keen on the vaccination programme either.However, the cancer sounds horrible as well. I really don't know what to do. Any help guys?
    I'd like to clarify this Jab is not a vaccine for cervical cancer.
    Its a vaccine from some kind of bacteria you can contract during sex which could cause cervical cancer.

The amount of crap that goes untested has serious repressions. I'd rather die from cervical cancer knowing nature took its course then die from cervical cancer the jab could have increased my chances of getting (owing that their are dead anti-cells in their of the bacteria...having a bcg can actually cause TB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    I'd like to clarify this Jab is not a vaccine for cervical cancer.
    Its a vaccine from some kind of bacteria you can contract during sex which could cause cervical cancer.

The amount of crap that goes untested has serious repressions. I'd rather die from cervical cancer knowing nature took its course then die from cervical cancer the jab could have increased my chances of getting (owing that their are dead anti-cells in their of the bacteria...having a bcg can actually cause TB)
    Are you really that dense? For one it's a virus, not bacteria.
    Secondly, it's not untested in the slightest! I've read all the safety data sheets, I can vouch for the safety testing it's undergone.

It's not going to make you more likely to contract the disease, and the BCG doesn't cause TB. Please learn about how vaccines work before you go shooting your mouth off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Are you really that dense? For one it's a virus, not bacteria.
    Secondly, it's not untested in the slightest! I've read all the safety data sheets, I can vouch for the safety testing it's undergone.

It's not going to make you more likely to contract the disease, and the BCG doesn't cause TB. Please learn about how vaccines work before you go shooting your mouth off.
    Yes idiot BCG can cause TB.
    I was told this because my 'stamp' jab came up badly and they were actually worried i had TB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Yes idiot BCG can cause TB.
    I was told this because my 'stamp' jab came up badly and they were actually worried i had TB.
    No, the BCG cannot cause tuberculosis. The attenuated bacteria they use in the BCG has lost virulence in humans.
    A positive Heaf or Mantoux test (that's the skin test) indicates that you've previously been exposed to TB or had the BCG vaccination, that's all. The vaccine does not give you TB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    No, the BCG cannot cause tuberculosis. The attenuated bacteria they use in the BCG has lost virulence in humans.
    A positive Heaf or Mantoux test (that's the skin test) indicates that you've previously been exposed to TB or had the BCG vaccination, that's all. The vaccine does not give you TB.
    For reasons like this:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...g-stories.html
    I'm not having it. People have already died from the jab and i'd rather die from more natural causes.
    Or i may choose to have to jab in 10-15 years when any un-noticed side effects will hopefully surface.

ReputationRep:
    I had the jab before it was released to the public, as a guinea pig I guess. I had the older version of the jab which the NHS opted not to use as it would cost them too much, so they now use the alternative today. I am fine, a year later!

ReputationRep:
    i would stay WELL clear. I know people who have had the jab and have felt horrendously ill. I think some girls in america have died from it(not that im saying you will) unfortunately its just a way for drugs companies to make money.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.