Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just really interested to hear if you or someone you know has changed courses after first few weeks/months of uni. What course were you doing, what did you change to, why did you change, etc
    I mean like changing to completely different course (not Bsc to M etc..)

Just curious x

ReputationRep:
    anyone? . . . no? . . . oh.

:o:

I did. I changed from the BSc Government and Economics to the BSc International Relations and History. Gave up the better name for a course that is so much more interesting. I can channel my needs for abstract political philosophy through discussions with my friends, but I find that the reverse is very difficult. International relations is a very abstract subject and much less tangible than the study of government. Both of these bear very little relation to the real world, but university is meant to train the mind, not to give you knowledge that you can directly apply. So I'd rather spend it studying a subject that interests me the most, rather than the one with the most applicable knowledge.

I already studied economics intensively and am confident enough in having sufficient knowledge to deal with most international economic problems, so that wasn't a dealbreaker either - though I still like economics.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick note about the practicalities. If you are proposing a complete change of course - not just from Single to Joint Honours or visa-versa, it may be necessary to repeat the entire year. This will depend on the extent to which links can be forged between the old and new programme of study. Centrally funded government support is usually available for the full length of the course plus one additional year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.