Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going out with randoms - i have low confidence - drink before? Watch

im going out to the city with people i hardly know and a few girls, my confidence in talking is low, im shy especially talking with girls!

should i have a bit of alcohol before i go? not lots obviously, ive never had so much that im drunk, but sometimes i think drinking maybe a couple of ciders, or beers or something makes me talk more. should i do this

im not going out to a club or anything, just roaming around, eat somewhere, shops etc. but i dont want to be quiet and just mouth shut and nervous speaking when i do talk

is this a good idea?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Maybe have one drink, not a few. You don't want them to get a bad impression of you/to be a bit fresh before you go out, imo that'd make a much worse impression than being shy if you were just going out shopping/for something to eat.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to be careful when you have to rely on alcohol to give you confidence etc. Best thing i think is to stay sober and just try and step out of your confort zone and give it a go at talking to the girls, they are really not that hard to talk to once you get used to it, and most of the time you can talk to them about most things you could talk to a male friend about so there is no difference.

As said, being wasted when you are only going shopping and out for a meal is likely to give off a bad impression.

ReputationRep:
    Shot of vodka, or 2

You'll feel fabulous
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    well I would... lol....

ReputationRep:
    How did this situation come about? Going out with people from a new job? :s:

(Original post by Chrrye)
    How did this situation come about? Going out with people from a new job? :s:
    my friend invited me out with some of his other friends and his girlfriend
    i said yes, but dreading looking like a shy, non-talkative weirdo, when in fact when im with people i know and comfortable, i am always the really chatty one and the funny one...

my looks do get my confidence down, but i can't help that in the short term, in the long term i am doing something about it

(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    I think you need to be careful when you have to rely on alcohol to give you confidence etc. Best thing i think is to stay sober and just try and step out of your confort zone and give it a go at talking to the girls, they are really not that hard to talk to once you get used to it, and most of the time you can talk to them about most things you could talk to a male friend about so there is no difference.

As said, being wasted when you are only going shopping and out for a meal is likely to give off a bad impression.
    im not looking to go wasted or drunk or anything

the more general question is whether drinking a little before i go will give me a confidence boost?

ReputationRep:
    don't do this, it's a great way to go down to alcoholism. First you start with one beer to give you confidence, then you turn to 0.5L vodka bottle.

be a man, step out your comfort zone, have guts to do this, and don't rely on stuff like alcohol or drugs to make you feel good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    im not looking to go wasted or drunk or anything

the more general question is whether drinking a little before i go will give me a confidence boost?
    As i said personally i think it is a bad idea to think about getting confidence in a form from alcohol, it dosent work for myself, but it may do for you.

Would you not be willing to just try and see how it goes, im sure once you get there it will not be as bad as you expect, just find some common gorund with people to allow you to talk to them.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on your limits (alcohol-wise, how much you can drink before you get wasted type thing) as to whether or not a drink beforehand would be a good idea. Personally, I'd probably have a shot of something. Whatever you do, don't turn up wasted as it'll just give a bad impression of you.

(Original post by *Hannah)
    I think it depends on your limits (alcohol-wise, how much you can drink before you get wasted type thing) as to whether or not a drink beforehand would be a good idea. Personally, I'd probably have a shot of something. Whatever you do, don't turn up wasted as it'll just give a bad impression of you.
    oh definitly, i dont even have enough alcohol and i can't buy it!!
    i have one cider, a small bottle aswell!!
    i might take that into another plastic bottle and drink that on the train before i get there
    hmm
    1 cider will do a little bit for me, and wont get me drunk, so i think i'll do this
    thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    don't do this, it's a great way to go down to alcoholism. First you start with one beer to give you confidence, then you turn to 0.5L vodka bottle.

be a man, step out your comfort zone, have guts to do this, and don't rely on stuff like alcohol or drugs to make you feel good.
    0.5L?

pussy

ReputationRep:
    drink, who cares, just drink man, disregard everything else in this thread

ReputationRep:
    If you can control yourself have 1 or 2 small drinks. Personally, I can't.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.