Turn on thread page Beta

Dependent Personality disorder watch

Announcements

Basically, I'm worried my friend may have this. It sounds extreme to suggest that she may well have a 'disorder' but she seems to fit the symptoms of it. She is utterly terrified of being alone, rushes from relationship to relationship with so much urgency to get into another because she said otherwise she feels 'unwanted' and it makes her unhappy and she can't cope with not being with someone. She handles criticism really badly and really takes it to heart. And she seems to find it impossible to do stuff herself and whenever she does do stuff, she seems to seek approval from everyone around her.

I'm worried about her but does anyone have any experience of this? It's awful because with guys especially, she lets them walk all over her and treat her so badly, because she reckons putting up with all that is better than being alone. And I can't exactly say to her that I reckon she's got something wrong with her

Anyone?

I have a friend like this too. Some girls are just really insecure or in need of constant attention, whether its because of things that have happened in the past or because they feel the need to be the center of attention all the time. If I was you, I would try and get her to open up and see if there is anything that might cause such a low self-esteem, and if talking to her about it doesn't help, bring it up that you think how she behaves is wrong (very gently). She'll probably react pretty badly and think you're criticizing her, but its the only thing you can do to try and at least figure out why she behaves that way.

The problem is she seems like a really confident person, like if we go out and stuff but she seems completely dependent on everyone else still. This thing with guys is getting kind of destructive lately but she won't listen to me when I try to advise her to stop. A guy was a total ******* to her the other day and despite being really upset by it spent the day after going 'shall i text him? im tempted to text him' all cos she misses the boyfriend she broke up with just before attempting to get involved with this guy. A bunch of people are starting to see her both as 'easy' and a bit 'clingy bunny boiler' sort of thing and trying to move her away from this sort of behaviour has so far been really difficult

Why did she break up with her ex? Maybe that explains the problem?

Some people tend to blame themselves for everything, even if someone is clearly being a total ******* to them. All you can do is try and make her see that she shouldn't see it that way, she should have a little confidence in herself and not need to resort to that clingy behaviour.

No, that isn't the problem. It has been happening for way longer and she only broke up with him like a week ago.

No, she's been like this for months. She hasn't been single in over a year, she's said herself she's really afraid of being alone and she's becoming really slutty lately as she just gives into stuff so that guys like her. Like I said, this has been going on way before this break up.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.