Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im really worried at the moment as results gets closer and iv declined my offers and wiating for clearing. i have a feeling good universities with business management courses wont be on clearing (although im still hoping) but if i cant find business there may be a little different course related available for e.g. geography and business management. do youthink this is a good idea as i havt done geography since year 8 and il only be choosing it because it is the only thing closest to business management? also what do they teach roughly like how do they go together and also what career does this lead to?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even know 'good' universities offered Business Management as a course.

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't done geography since year 8, I really wouldn't tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    i agree, do you know what materials with business course is?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    Then again, it is geography... (:p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Then again, it is geography... (:p: )
    what do you mean? as in its only geography?

(Original post by Arctic_wombaT)
    I didn't even know 'good' universities offered Business Management as a course.
    St Andrews, York, Durham, Exeter...

And if you're including Business Studies in that, Oxford...Cambridge, Imperial...

The list goes on and on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12)
    im really worried at the moment as results gets closer and iv declined my offers and wiating for clearing. i have a feeling good universities with business management courses wont be on clearing (although im still hoping) but if i cant find business there may be a little different course related available for e.g. geography and business management. do youthink this is a good idea as i havt done geography since year 8 and il only be choosing it because it is the only thing closest to business management? also what do they teach roughly like how do they go together and also what career does this lead to?
    Why did you decline your offers? Try not to worry. I wouldn't do anything "just for the sake of doing it" though, because you could always take a gap year?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by a12)
    what do you mean? as in its only geography?
    Well, stereotypically not all that ... intellectually taxing. Lacking true doss subjects to ridicule i tend to resort to geography bashing.

(Original post by Alexandra1234567)
    St Andrews, York, Durham, Exeter...

And if you're including Business Studies in that, Oxford...Cambridge, Imperial...

The list goes on and on
    Oxford does business studies? :confused: EDIT: Cambridge doesn't either.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Oxford does business studies? :confused:
    Cambridge does business studies? :confused:
    Imperial does business studies? :confused:
    St Andrews does business studies? :confused:
    York does business studies? :confused:

(...and so on.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Cambridge does business studies? :confused:
    Was just about to edit that in...

Well, stereotypically not all that ... intellectually taxing. Lacking true doss subjects to ridicule i tend to resort to geography bashing.

Oxford does business studies? :confused:
    Yep :yes:

All of the ones I listed however, unfortunately for the OP are unlikely to be in Clearing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

All of the ones I listed however, unfortunately for the OP are unlikely to be in Clearing.
    Cambridge and Imperial certainly don't. I'll look into Oxford brb...

EDIT: Can't find it on any course lists and have never heard of anyone studying it.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I think you misunderstood the point of my and nexttime's [rhetorical] questions. None out of Cambridge, Oxford, York, Imperial or St Andrews offer Business Studies/Business Management. I haven't checked the others though, but really... that's very misleading information you're giving.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford does business studies? :confused: EDIT: Cambridge doesn't either.
    It has a business school (SAID), although I don't think they offer "business studies" they do offer the usual postgraduate degrees (eg MBA) and undergrad programmes like economics and management.

Cambridge's business school don't offer undergraduate programmes although there is the management tripos for final year students.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't advise doing business with another random subject as you'd still have to study and pass the random subject.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/management/
    Management which is considered very close to Business Management AFAIK
    http://www.york.ac.uk/management/
    York's there...
    Oxford offers EEM etc.

And the others offer similar management-type courses!
    I could be wrong in lumping Management in with Business, but they are offered at those universities.

If they are too disimilar, I'll take that though!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by River85)
    It has a business school (SAID), although I don't think they offer "business studies" they do offer the usual postgraduate degrees (eg MBA) and undergrad programmes like economics and management.

Cambridge's business school don't offer undergraduate programmes although there is the management tripos for final year students.
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/management/
    Management which is considered very close to Business Management AFAIK
    http://www.york.ac.uk/management/
    York's there...
    Oxford offers EEM etc.

And the others offer similar management-type courses!
    I could be wrong in lumping Management in with Business, but they are offered at those universities.

If they are too disimilar, I'll take that though!
    Indeed - i would imagine an/ E&Mist would be very quick to correct anyone saying they do 'business studies' though!

Indeed - i would imagine an/ E&Mist would be very quick to correct anyone saying they do 'business studies' though!
    But you get my point .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12)
    Durham may have places for Business in clearing but I wouldn't bank on it. It's appeared in clearing before and, being one of the Queens Campus programmes, is more likely to be in clearing than the particularly heavily oversubscribed Durham courses.

Whether other "good" universities have places in clearing really depends on what you consider good.

I advise against chosing a joint programme. If you don't have any interest in geography and haven't studied it in so many years. What they teach will vary significantly from university to university (and, in the case of geography, whether physical, human or a mixture of both).

As for career opportunities then the same as Geography or Business on their own. Management/consultancy, retail, teaching, merchant banking. For Geography teaching, planning/surveying (although an RTPI/RICS accredited postgrad degree will be necessary), environmental consultant and many more. A significant number of graduate jobs don't ask for a specific degree subject.

There's always the chance that, once at university, you'll be able to transfer to business only but then this is a risk as although transfer are usually allowed there's a quota and they're competitive. You have no right to change course.

If you can't find the programme of your choice at a decent uni then I think it's far more sensible and mature to take a year out and re-apply.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.