Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

stubble/beard shaping watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm using a standard two blade razor at the moment to "shape" my stubble (growing into a beard). Growth is significantly less on my cheeks that my jaw so to avoid looking like a fool I shave the areas that grow slower.

Problem is that it's quite difficult to make sure I shave the area that I want to and don't stray into the area I want to keep (shaving foam obscures things). Standard trimmers just don't cut close enough.

Any tips on equipment I could buy to deal with the boundary regions? I'm thinking of getting one of those cutthroat razors they use at barbers but if there's something else out there that is less hardcore I'd be happy to know about it.

Will rep for good advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yusufu)
    I'm using a standard two blade razor at the moment to "shape" my stubble (growing into a beard). Growth is significantly less on my cheeks that my jaw so to avoid looking like a fool I shave the areas that grow slower.

Problem is that it's quite difficult to make sure I shave the area that I want to and don't stray into the area I want to keep (shaving foam obscures things). Standard trimmers just don't cut close enough.

Any tips on equipment I could buy to deal with the boundary regions? I'm thinking of getting one of those cutthroat razors they use at barbers but if there's something else out there that is less hardcore I'd be happy to know about it.

Will rep for good advice.
    Don't know too much on the razor part but to help you know which parts you are shaving you could use a cream instead of shaving foam. I use one from Voodoo and it stays practically clear whilst using and has a better quality feel to it than normal shaving foam.

Just as an aside why are you shaving the parts that grow slower? Won't it then take it longer for those parts to catch up to the bits that grow quickly...??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Don't know too much on the razor part but to help you know which parts you are shaving you could use a cream instead of shaving foam. I use one from Voodoo and it stays practically clear whilst using and has a better quality feel to it than normal shaving foam.

Just as an aside why are you shaving the parts that grow slower? Won't it then take it longer for those parts to catch up to the bits that grow quickly...??
    Cream sounds a good idea. Although that then leaves the issue of the razor itself obscuring exactly where I'm shaving. It's not much of an issue if I stray too much around the jaw, but near the moustache a slight amout of discrepancy is quite noticeable.

Because I'm waiting for it to grow at a quicker pace. Going by my older brothers it should get in gear in a couple of years! Keep having to go to events and things where I need to look reasonably smart at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    It looks fine on your profile pic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    It looks fine on your profile pic.
    Cheers. Take bloody ages to make sure it's properly symmetrical though, since I have to do it very slowly. Need something that would speed things up.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.