Turn on thread page Beta

What do I do now that I’ve graduated? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schrodingers_dog)
    I recently graduated from a respected “Red Brick” university with a first in history.
    Become a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Says someone at school

You don't need to find something you're good at to apply for private sector jobs.

------------------

The poster does suggest public sector though and the fast stream is often recommended for historians, you should make a good drafts person in policy is the oft used reason given.

However the places:applicants ratio is about 35:1 so I wouldn't hold your breath, but its a thought.
    Is economics the easiest fast stream to get into in the civil service? Looking at last years figures there were 800 applicants and about 400 made it to the first assessment stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse)
    35 places to each applicant? I like those odds :p:
    Go on the Reed website and each job has at least a few hundred applications..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Go on the Reed website and each job has at least a few hundred applications..
    That doesn't surprise me, I was just quoting Quadys slightly mixed up ratio :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Is economics the easiest fast stream to get into in the civil service? Looking at last years figures there were 800 applicants and about 400 made it to the first assessment stage.
    Yes, although I've often wondered why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schrodingers_dog)
    I recently graduated from a respected “Red Brick” university with a first in history. Having never given my career a thought at any point in the past three years, however, I’m now faced – for the first time – with a very real dilemma: deciding what it is I want to do.

I don’t know whether I should apply for a ‘graduate’ job or apply for some menial, low-paying job. If I were to do the former, I’d get a better salary and the work wouldn’t be as degrading (compared, that is, to a menial job). However, the disadvantages are that I may get stuck in a job that I won’t enjoy – given that I haven’t decided what area I want to work in – and may also have to relocate away from friends and family. If, on the other hand, I were to get a menial job, locally, then I could take time to decide what it is I want to do in the long-term, without getting locked down or having to move away. Yet I’m not sure I could stand the indignity of taking a job like this, having spent three years getting a degree in order to prevent such an eventuality.

Even if I were to get a job stacking shelves etc to give myself time to figure out what it is I want to do, I can’t see an epiphany coming any time soon. In truth, I’m not really a ‘people person’. In fact, I’m something of a misanthrope. This is the problem. I mean, am I wasting my time wishing for an occupation that allows me to be creative, offers stable employment, is relatively well-paid, and – most importantly – spares me the awkwardness of working amongst lots of other people?

Answers on a postcard, please.
    How about some volunteering? find out what you want to do FIRST

The amazing thing is we work in reverse when it comes to 'life plans'. So instead of figuring out what we want to do prior to Uni, or planning a rough direction, we go through Uni only at the end to be confused as to what we want (I was in the same boat)

Nothing is too wishful, always remember that.

My advice to you is write a 'Life Vision' - write down exactly what kind of lifestyle you want. List your interests, strengths and weaknesses and really think about what interests you. Then take steps either to apply for jobs OR better yet get out there and volunteer.

Once you start being pro-active as opposed to sitting around, things will start moving along.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.