Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    unless your fat, does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    just use less then? olive oil is a fairly healthy fat, so it's not as bad as frying in butter or lard or something.
    also, salad is totally not tasteless without dressing.
    alternatively, use balsamic vinegar as a salad dressing and 1-cal spray to cook with

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but it's good for ya, look at Mediterranean people - not exactly obese. Apparently they did some test and people on a 'mediterranean' diet lost more weight than on your typical calorie counting one. But if you don't like the taste, then don't use it, simples

ReputationRep:
    I use 'one cal spray' to dry fry onions n things. http://www.frylight.co.uk/fl.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    i was looking at the calories in olive oil and even other oils and its so high

like if i have a salad with white wine vinegar and olive oil, everything in the salad has hardly any calories in it but then its ruined by pretty tasteless anyway, olive oil which is like 130 calories a tablespoon.

and also if i have to fry onion or garlic for recipe, before adding other ingredients, its as if the oil is most of the calories
    Erm, all oils have pretty much the same amount of calories. It's fat. Fat has 9Kcal per g. Olive oil is a good source of your essential fats. You need fat.

Short answer: no.

ReputationRep:
    Olive oil contains 'good' fats which actually help burn off 'bad' fats. So eat olive oil in moderation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Olive oil contains 'good' fats which actually help burn off 'bad' fats. So eat olive oil in moderation.
    Exactly what I was about to post.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're downing it by the bottle load a little here and there is little to worry about. It;s actually very good for you in small amounts.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody should avoid olive oil. You should be drinking from teaspoons of this stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Just wait till Popeye and bluto are fighting, then she is all yours bub

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.