Turn on thread page Beta

Help! Living in London is making me a racist! watch

Please keep anonymous.

Living in London is really turning me into a racist. I'm white, and I live in a predominantly black area, and I often feel unsafe. I feel nervous when I travel anywhere as I'm often the only white person, and even my white friends have started saying how they feel uncomfortable on the bus being the only white person.

I also get annoyed when everyone around me is speaking a different language, or with a really strong accent. I feel like I'm being stopped from going into places because being white and English means I don't belong. It angers me when I find someone working somewhere who speaks little English, when so many young people are jobless yet again. I find it extremely unnerving, and feel that these people should make more of an effort to take on the English language and traditions when they move here.

I get fed up with the tourists in London and how expensive everything in London is because of them. I get annoyed when there's always someone who pushes in front of you because they don't understand the concept of queueing. I get anxious when I walk past a group of people in hoodies (regardless of race or gender) because they've brought over an American 'gangsta' attitude, and this is particularly prominent in many parts of south and east London.

What happened to the polite England, where 'sorry' was the most said word? Where are peoples manners? What should we do with people who say 'England is crap, X is so much better!'? Should they have the right to stay here?

This isn't a question of race, so much, but I think people should make more of an effort to adopt the English ways when they move here. I respect that people want to carry on their own culture, but going out of your way to promote it is causing societal segregation.

Am I in the wrong for feeling like this? I feel that if the situation were reversed, and I were abroad and emphasising my English ways I would be heavily frowned upon, and don't understand why it's seen as alright to carry on this way.

ReputationRep:
    Apt description of Multi-Cultural Britain.

That said, I love London. The whole diversity of the city helps make it amazing in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anonymous.

Living in London is really turning me into a racist. I'm white, and I live in a predominantly black area, and I often feel unsafe. I feel nervous when I travel anywhere as I'm often the only white person, and even my white friends have started saying how they feel uncomfortable on the bus being the only white person.

I also get annoyed when everyone around me is speaking a different language, or with a really strong accent. I feel like I'm being stopped from going into places because being white and English means I don't belong. It angers me when I find someone working somewhere who speaks little English, when so many young people are jobless yet again. I find it extremely unnerving, and feel that these people should make more of an effort to take on the English language and traditions when they move here.

I get fed up with the tourists in London and how expensive everything in London is because of them. I get annoyed when there's always someone who pushes in front of you because they don't understand the concept of queueing. I get anxious when I walk past a group of people in hoodies (regardless of race or gender) because they've brought over an American 'gangsta' attitude, and this is particularly prominent in many parts of south and east London.

What happened to the polite England, where 'sorry' was the most said word? Where are peoples manners? What should we do with people who say 'England is crap, X is so much better!'? Should they have the right to stay here?

This isn't a question of race, so much, but I think people should make more of an effort to adopt the English ways when they move here. I respect that people want to carry on their own culture, but going out of your way to promote it is causing societal segregation.

Am I in the wrong for feeling like this? I feel that if the situation were reversed, and I were abroad and emphasising my English ways I would be heavily frowned upon, and don't understand why it's seen as alright to carry on this way.
    The emboldened bit made me make this face :love:

And such is life, I'm afraid. The world changes around us. Either change with it or get left behind :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Leave then

ReputationRep:
    I understand how you feel, but to be honest, i love it so much, i think its amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, it says a lot about TSR and modern day Britain when somebody feels the need to go Anonymous to post legitimate concerns and feelings like this.

ReputationRep:
    you have no bad intentions but Your not all left wing. Your going to get killed for this on this forum

Do not venture east, stay in either the inner city boroughs like Westminster, Kensington, Chelsea. Or, very far out into places like Bromley. Avoid Croydon and the East End like your life depends on it! Do not go east or too south. You just need to find a nice area that's all, do not dismiss the whole of the city because one area is full of it.

ReputationRep:
    The tourists aren't completely responsible for London's extortionate prices. They are partly, but it's mainly because it's an international city with thousands of commuters and businessmen who don't have many financial limits on their lunch hour and having a drink after work.

I love London. The tourists there are only helping the economy, a lot of them are rude I know but so what? A lot of people on the tube aren't white but I don't find that intimidating.

If you don't like London then move away from it to a city that is less ethnically diverse.

You're right about this. The American gangster import is disgusting and sometimes make me feel intimidated.

ReputationRep:

What happened to the polite England, where 'sorry' was the most said word?
    Come to any my town...if a strand of your hair touches someone's bag, it immediately starts a long apologising spree.
    But yeah, I do agree with some of your points - you just have to get used to it, or start your own political party (or vote BNP, but I wouldn't).

ReputationRep:
    I can genuinely say that although I'm not "white", I sympathise with what you've written and I don't think it is making you a racist at all

I used to live in a predominately white area, but live in NW London now and I avoid being out at night times. Why? It's just not safe. At all. London can be great and diverse, but anywhere outside zone 1-2 is a ******* mess after 9 pm. It's an issue and well done for speaking your mind and bringing it up.

ReputationRep:
    Do not venture east, stay in either the inner city boroughs like Westminster, Kensington, Chelsea. Or, very far out into places like Bromley. Avoid Croydon and the East End like your life depends on it! Do not go east or too south. You just need to find a nice area that's all, do not dismiss the whole of the city because one area is full of it.
    Not all of south London is bad. Clapham, Kennington and Eltham are decent areas. And Croydon is in Surrey! That's millionaire land. Though Croydon has its fair share of crime.

EDIT: To consider Cultivated's post, some of the above mentioned areas are in zones one and two.

ReputationRep:
    I know!!!this is probably ocmpletley hypocritical of me but I odn't go out aorund the area I live that much anymore, because the poeple annoy me so much. I get male attention I would never get elsewhere in the city, I feel unsafe and I always have about a hundred aunties pushing infront of me and hijabis giving me dirty looks because I'm wearing a skirt.

GRRRRRRRRR

/rant.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel unsafe just try to move somewhere else. Being stuck in a place you hate shouldn't be something normal. Until then try to get out only when you have to and maybe with a friend or relative, although that might actually tense up the streets :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of race I feel unsafe in East London. Meh.

What you are saying isn't too racist, I can kind of understand how you have made the connection between race and the safety of areas of London.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the club. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geminibubblegum)
    I know!!!this is probably ocmpletley hypocritical of me but I odn't go out aorund the area I live that much anymore, because the poeple annoy me so much. I get male attention I would never get elsewhere in the city, I feel unsafe and I always have about a hundred aunties pushing infront of me and hijabis giving me dirty looks because I'm wearing a skirt.

GRRRRRRRRR

/rant.
    :rofl: So true it hurts

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love Islington (where I live) and London as a whole, and its diversity is a key factor in it. I also like east and central London a lot. Don't go down to south London much, so don't have an opinion on that part of London.

I live in Croydon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geminibubblegum)

GRRRRRRRRR

/rant.
    Where is this?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.